ZZ TOP

I was at the "Sharp Dressed Simple Man" tour, week before last for ZZ Top and Lynyrd Skynyrd in Southaven Ms. It was cool. Both bands great!
We snuck up to fifth row on the main floor. There were two seats that no one ever came back and claimed.
Never will forget it.

We snuck up to fifth row on the main floor. There were two seats that no one ever came back and claimed.
Never will forget it.
We were floor row 15 center. Didn't move further front. Waffled between listening, cheering and the floor level wet bar! A good time was had by all, and I was not the designated driver.:cool:

We were floor row 15 center. Didn't move further front. Waffled between listening, cheering and the floor level wet bar! A good time was had by all, and I was not the designated driver.:cool:
Those dudes looked hot under those stage lights with them long beards. Got to see them twice in Mpls. I remember a lot of lasers in their light show.
I don't care what CarenCorn thinks, they were awesome.

They can’t sing; their music (especially the later tracks) is repetitive guitar tracks that are not exactly complex. The music is “good” at best.

I will say this about them, they mastered the music video “craze” better than most in the genre.

Those dudes looked hot under those stage lights with them long beards. Got to see them twice in Mpls. I remember a lot of lasers in their light show.
The tee-shirt wearing drummer without beard was sweating like bitch in heat.

I read somewhere years ago that Jimi Hendrix once mentioned Billy Gibbons as one of the most promising guitar players he'd heard. Not sure what Hendrix was stoned on when he said that. Gibbons knows how to coax a good sound out his guitar and amp, but he's no Hendrix. SRV came closer to Hedrix's guitar style than most others.

When I was playing guitar in Texas back in the 80's every damned guitar player there had to know every lick Stevie Ray Vaughn could play. I saw 12 year old kids that could outplay me, and at the top of my expertise, was practicing three to four hours a day. I saw SRV a few times and my GF at the time remembered seeing him sleeping on a pool table at some club, when he was starting out.

The Texas music scene changed from the 80's through the 90, and into the 2000's. Pantera was pretty big there, but I missed seeing them when they were playing small clubs. They did have a tittie bar over in NW Dallas. The place was pretty high-class. You didn't start any shit there, or else you'd get thrown out pretty fast.

Billy Gibbons is an underrated guitarist.
They have some very enjoyable songs.
Nobody else is like them.

They can’t sing; their music (especially the later tracks) is repetitive guitar tracks that are not exactly complex. The music is “good” at best.

I will say this about them, they mastered the music video “craze” better than most in the genre.
Hendrix thought Gibbons was one of the best guitarist out there at that time...

i seen them about 72-73 at the LA Sports Arena,,,,great band live...
We caught them at the Nashville speedway back in 75 or 76, sitting on the canvas on the infield, rolling and passing both ways, before I cleaned up my act.;)

Forum List

Back