Songs of The Sacred

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
I thought there was a thread on this, but can’t find it. There is so much utterly beautiful religious music…that seeks to understand the Divine or Sacred Mysteries. If anything could pull a sinner like me to the arms of religion…it would be through the language of music…more than any verse or scripture. I deeply believe that music is the language of God.

What are your favorites?

Amongst mine….Amazing Grace…whether by Judy Collins or others it remains a song that takes me to my knees. Here is one version of it.

Last edited:

What began as a Gregorian chant that some music scholars believe originated before the formation of the Catholic Mass, "Ubi Caritas" ("Where Charity Is") has evolved into many iterations and compositions. The actual origin of the chant is unknown and ambiguous, although musicologists and researchers believe it was written between 300 and 1100 CE. Another integral chant used in the Catholic Church, Agnus Dei (Lamb of God), was introduced into the Catholic mass in the late 600s.

Amor

Where charity and love are, there God is.
The love of Christ has gathered us into one flock.
Let us exult, and in Him be joyful.
Let us fear and let us love the living God.
And from a sincere heart let us love each other (and Him).

Therefore, whensoever we are gathered as one:
Lest we in mind be divided, let us beware.
Let cease malicious quarrels, let strife give way.
And in the midst of us be Christ our God.

Together also with the blessed may we see,
Gloriously, Thy countenance, O Christ our God:
A joy which is immense, and also approved:
Through infinite ages

I thought there was a thread on this, but can’t find it. There is so much utterly beautiful religious music…that seeks to understand the Divine or Sacred Mysteries. If anything could pull a sinner like me to the arms of religion…it would be through the language of music…more than any verse or scripture. I deeply believe that music is the language of God.

What are your favorites?

Amongst mine….Amazing Grace…whether by Judy Collins or others it remains a song that takes me to my knees. Here is one version of it.

I love the sound of bag pipes. Probably genetic. This made my eyes water a bit.

Forum List

Back