Sometimes better than the original artist?

Yeah, they can. Been missing Johnny Cash lately, Disturbed did a great job on S&G's Sounds of silence. They put life, feeling in like S&G couldn't. Johnny doing Hurt? Different than 9" nails but so good.

Nice thread idea. I can name a couple covers off the top of my head that I believe were better than the originals. Santana did a great cover of Fleetwood Mac's, "Black Magic Woman", and the Jimi Hendrix Experience did a wonderful cover of Bob Dylan's, "All Along The Watchtower". I think both of these blew away the original versions. I'll be back with more choices in a bit.

i love distrubed cover of sound of silence

this song has a great backstory

most credit hootie with it...yet it traces back to pat garrett and billy the kid....parts of it...then it was filled out ...bob dylan still gets royalties from it

Yeah, they can. Been missing Johnny Cash lately, Disturbed did a great job on S&G's Sounds of silence. They put life, feeling in like S&G couldn't. Johnny doing Hurt? Different than 9" nails but so good.

I prefer The Byrds' cover version of "Mr. Tambourine Man" over Bob Dylan's original. I like George Harrison's cover version of "If Not For You", more than Dylan's original version. I also prefer Linda Ronstadt's cover version of "When Will I Be Loved", over the original version by The Everly Brothers.

I also prefer Linda Ronstadt's version of "Blue Bayou" over Roy Orbison's original version. I DO like Roy's version, I'm just more impressed by Linda's outstanding cover version.

Yeah... Sound of Silence was going to be posted from the Headline... Turns out I don't have to.

To my ears, Three Dog Night's cover version of, "Mama Told Me (Not To Come)" is much better than the original version by Randy Newman. Three Dog Night completely modified Randy's version to make it something special.

Those are both great covers.

Disturbed is awesome.

Maria Brink and In This Moment cover Blondie

Forum List

Back