Some Thoughts On War From Ron Kovic

rtwngAvngr said:
He's the boogy woogy bugle boy from company b.

Hey now - at least he went through Basic Training. I mean...that's something.

:salute: to him for THAT. But JP needs to stop being an asshole. I suppose he could be upset that he's a SSG after 18 years. That must weigh heavily upon a body; considering E7 in 10-15 years is typical.

:)

dmp said:
Again - Look kid; You hunger and thirst to use "elitist" - FINE! Just PLEASE for the love of god use it where it makes sense. Please.

If you don't see the use of phrases such as "n00b" and "Look kid" as elitist in the sense that you're attempting to create a hierarchy of class, that's beyond me to rectify.

dmp said:
There's NO good comparison of Iraq and Viet Nam. I'd hope ANYONE with a modicum of sense could see that. Do you have a modicum of sense?

And here you're attempting to brand those with a number of comparative anecdotes that Vietnam and Iraq share commonalities as "the senseless." Why you consider them too stupid to make such assertions is beyond me, but I most certainly consider it elitist by the very definition you provided. I didn't come in here to start a fight, but I won't shy from one either. The dismissive tone of your assertion against a serviceman who gave his limbs to war in service to his country seemed a bit over the top and I stated it. You didn't like it. We can agree to disagree with our views... but calling me a "n00b" and "kid" don't exactly exhibit the stated aims of this board as I read them.

dmp said:
You wanna see unoriginal? Keep pushing. We don't much care for newbies who join this board and come in here on a proverbial white horse; Braging and snorting and accusing. Drop your ego, and TRY to get along. If you're an asshole, just go away now and save me the trouble of banning you.

Hey, look, only my wife can call me "asshole"... I prefer scumbag or "commie bastard" if you wouldn't mind. I seriously didn't come in here looking to get banned or to troll around. I have become bored with the site I regularly post on and thought this one had a fair mix of intelligent people with which to discuss the topics of the day.

But, if the sticks and stones of the word "elitist" so upset you, I promise not to use it in referencing you again. Sorry I hurt your feelings.

jasendorf said:
And here you're attempting to brand those with a number of comparative anecdotes that Vietnam and Iraq share commonalities as "the senseless." Why you consider them too stupid to make such assertions is beyond me, but I most certainly consider it elitist by the very definition you provided. I didn't come in here to start a fight, but I won't shy from one either. The dismissive tone of your assertion against a serviceman who gave his limbs to war in service to his country seemed a bit over the top and I stated it. You didn't like it. We can agree to disagree with our views... but calling me a "n00b" and "kid" don't exactly exhibit the stated aims of this board as I read them.

Here's a hint - as a site admin you should know this - ALL Newbies are called 'n00bs'. If that bothers them, they should stay home.

re: what i'm attempting?

What the fock, over? NO - I'm saying ANYONE - even the guy in this thread - who says "Iraq is just another Viet Nam!" is clueless. (note period). If that statment gets your panties wadded, there's nothing I can do about it.

Hey, look, only my wife can call me "asshole"... I prefer scumbag or "commie bastard" if you wouldn't mind. I seriously didn't come in here looking to get banned or to troll around. I have become bored with the site I regularly post on and thought this one had a fair mix of intelligent people with which to discuss the topics of the day.

Then STOP. Just stop 'being' and asshole. Then we'll all get along fine.

But, if the sticks and stones of the word "elitist" so upset you, I promise not to use it in referencing you again. Sorry I hurt your feelings.

Hurt-wha? Look - I simply ask for you to use words, in context, which make SENSE.

Congrats on the ARCOM, btw. :)

dmp said:
Hey now - at least he went through Basic Training. I mean...that's something.

:salute: to him for THAT. But JP needs to stop being an asshole. I suppose he could be upset that he's a SSG after 18 years. That must weigh heavily upon a body; considering E7 in 10-15 years is typical.

:)

When you serve in a unit where everyone stays forever... the slots don't exactly come fast. Our current 1SG has 34 years... all of our E-7s have 25+ years...

I don't need a raise and I don't need rank to be a leader. Plus, who wants to go to ANCOC these days?

HOW the heck do you pass height/weight standards, bro?
With a few pounds to spare, thanks for your concern.

Now that we've dispensed with the "he's in the band" and the "he looks kinda fat to me" introductions, can we get back to the topic of the thread? Or, did I inadvertantly hijack it simply because a "n00b" posted in it?

jasendorf said:
When you serve in a unit where everyone stays forever... the slots don't exactly come fast. Our current 1SG has 34 years... all of our E-7s have 25+ years...

When I was in the National Guard our Supply Sergeant - a SPC - had 18 years in the Army, and a SON my age, as an E5. :) I understand.

I don't need a raise and I don't need rank to be a leader. Plus, who wants to go to ANCOC these days?

I 'wanted'...I was 'driven' to promotion. I'd loved to go to ANCOC - or whatever it is they call it nowadays.

Now that we've dispensed with the "he's in the band" and the "he looks kinda fat to me" introductions, can we get back to the topic of the thread? Or, did I inadvertantly hijack it simply because a "n00b" posted in it?

I think you hijacked it NOT cuz you're a n00b, but because in your n00bness, you seemed to get bothered by the term.

You should see the USUAL n00b greeting:
"Go Away!! :321: :321: :fu2: :fu2: :fu2: :dev3: :dev3: :dev3: :finger3:

dmp said:
Congrats on the ARCOM, btw. :)

OK... I'll start using words that make sense and attempt to be the least assholish as is possible for me. Thanks for noting the ARCOM... my job isn't hard and it in no way compares to the sacrifices those who are serving and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan are making, but I take great pride in serving in the way that I think my abilities best serve.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
jasendorf said:
my job isn't hard and it in no way compares to the sacrifices those who are serving and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan are making, but I take great pride in serving in the way that I think my abilities best serve.

You and I may be more alike than first thought.

dmp said:
You should see the USUAL n00b greeting:

I expect no less ;)

dmp said:
I 'wanted'...I was 'driven' to promotion. I'd loved to go to ANCOC - or whatever it is they call it nowadays.

A promotion to me means less work on the mission and more on paperwork. We'll see if it ever strikes me to try and get promoted... I'm young.

5stringJeff said:
Cool. I'm in a swing band myself.

Didn't mean to ignore you earlier... that's good stuff. I do quite a bit of big band subbing around Columbus and Central Ohio. Also have a funk, zydeco and blues band that I play in.

jasendorf said:
Didn't mean to ignore you earlier... that's good stuff. I do quite a bit of big band subbing around Columbus and Central Ohio. Also have a funk, zydeco and blues band that I play in.

Very cool. I would love to get into a reggae band eventually, but I enjoy playing where I'm at.

jasendorf said:
CSM, you discounted Kovic's book because he sells it. I simply want to know if you similarly discount all war literature in this manner or if you have some kind of sliding scale where a book by Oliver North is second only to the Gospel where something by Ron Kovic is nothing more than a meaningless money-grubbing scheme.

Ok... let's try this again. I had some technical difficulty getting back in to the board...all better now. SSG Asendorf musta hexed me! (j/k)

I did not discount Mr. Kovic's book because he sells it. I stated I had read it and did not agree with a lot of his PoV. You keep trying to present my position while ignoring what I have said and I am not buying it.

You mention a sliding scale...I have mentioned no other books. You keep trying to portray my position to fit your purposes and to denigrate my position on things. SO be it...I call that trolling.

If you want to come gunning for me, young SSG, bring BIG guns and your lunch!

I apologize for misjudging your background...it happens. I obviously will not be agreeing with your PoV too often.

dmp said:
Sergeant Major - DROP HIM! :)

:pushups:

:D
Naw...he's just a SSG...besides, we need band members...and he is entitled to his opinion. The thing that got my goat is he was implying what MY opinion was. Obviously, he either did not read what I wrote or simply decided to ignore it. Maybe he just wanted a piece of me (though he wont be getting a virgin if he manages to do that!).

Forum List

Back