Some Inconvenient Facts About Social Security

Take that 12.4 % of your lifetime income and then see what it would have grown into if it was put in an S&P indexed fund

You mean 6.2%.
That’s all the individual is on the hook for.

Psst… no one’s stopping you from investing further.

Let people own their own accounts so they can actually attain a real measure of welth and not be forced to survive on a fraction of what they could

No one is forced to rely on SS. You might have done that to yourself.

With a private account, the median income earner would retire at age 67 with over $4 million dollars in their account, even after accounting for the crash of '87, the dot-com bust, the crash of 2008, etc. At 4% interest, the person could withdraw $14,000 per month for the rest of their life, and leave the entire $4,190,471.60 to their heirs, ending the cycle of poverty. With Social Security, what will they get? The average is $1,626 per month. And when they die, the account is lost. A working spouse would also have an account, so a couple could retire with an annual income over $300,000 per year, even more than what they ever earned while working! Instead, Social Security is keeping the American worker in poverty at retirement.

You should have accounted for that then. You only needed to make a meager 6% more to accomplish that.

No one is forced to rely on SS. You might have done that to yourself.
I'm not I retired at 51.

But don't ignore the fact that your money in your account would have actually grown into a far larger nest egg then it would when you let the corrupt government handle it for you.

And you you think you should let the government manage your money and give you an allowance when you're 67

But you are OK with an employer managing your healthcare and retirement

How fucked up is that?

But you are OK with an employer managing your healthcare and retirement

How fucked up is that?
Your employer does not manage your 401k you do.

Your employer does not manage your health care he provides the option of an insurance at a reduced cost in most cases.

I'm not I retired at 51.

But don't ignore the fact that your money in your account would have actually grown into a far larger nest egg then it would when you let the corrupt government handle it for you.
SS is what it is. It was never meant to be more than that. You’re free to build any retirement you desire.

That doesn’t exist in SS.

The discussion was about the higher return achieved with funds in the S&P 500 instead
of in the Social Security Trust Fund.

You’re free to put as much as you’d like away in any manner of account though

I'm free to put up to 84.7% of my $60,000 income away.

The discussion was about the higher return achieved with funds in the S&P 500 instead
of in the Social Security Trust Fund.

You’re free to put as much as you’d like away in any manner of account though

I'm free to put up to 84.7% of my $60,000 income away.
The discussion is about SS. Not what you wish it were.

Forum List

Back