So the $1.2 trillion infrastructure bill contains earmarks to explore a mileage tax

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
Don't federal taxes on gasoline and diesel already amount to mileage taxes?

Explaining the Vehicle Mileage Tax Pilot Program from the Biden Infrastructure Bill​

"Within the $1 trillion infrastructure package, $125 million is earmarked to fund the pilot program for 2022-2026.

The $125 million breaks down like this:

• $50 million for a national program ($10 million a year)
  • $75 million for state and local programs.
As stated in the infrastructure package, the vehicle mileage tax pilot program has two purposes:

• To test the feasibility of a per-mile road usage fee
  • To raise public awareness about transportation alternatives"
"During the first three years of the vehicle mileage tax pilot program, volunteers representing all 50 states will participate.

Both passenger and commercial driver volunteers will be used. How volunteers will be chosen is not stated in the infrastructure bill.

Three years into the program, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen are to provide recommendations to Congress. At that time Congress could choose to pass new legislation to implement a fee.

Congress would establish a per mile user fee on an annual basis. The fee would vary among passenger vehicles, light trucks, medium trucks and heavy trucks.

Congress would also be charged with establishing a means to collect the fee."

Explaining the Vehicle Mileage Tax Pilot Program from the Biden Infrastructure Bill

It's merely a study that will never happen unless America is dumb enough to vote in another democrat in the WH and enough democrats in the House and Senate to pass whatever they want to. I mean, it ain't no secret what they want to do, at least they're up front about it. Of course, they're lying like hell about the costs (underestimated) and the benefits (overestimated), but that's what they do. So IMHO, is this ever happens it'll be our own fault.

Dems never met a new tax they didn't love. The mileage tax slams rural communities much harder than urban cities with public transportation and shorter commutes.
As it should since those people travel on roads more often and for longer distances.

The gas tax is as close as a pay for service tax as you can get. The people who use roads the most pay more because they use more gas.

Overview. The Highway Revenue Act of 1982 has now passed into transportation industry folklore as a tri-
umph of bipartisanship – a Republican President who had recently passed the largest tax cuts in living mem-
ory joined with a Democratic House of Representatives and a Republican Senate to more than double (from
4 cents per gallon to 9 cents per gallon) federal motor fuels taxes and to use that money to provide large
increases in federal spending on highways and bridges and, for the first time, to provide a permanent federal
role in funding urban mass transit. Crumbling infrastructure would be repaired; jobs would be created; and
economic recovery would be advanced. As the legend goes, people of goodwill in both political parties saw a
great national need and came together to find a politically challenging, bipartisan, common-sense solution.
The reality is a bit messier.

Republicans love gasoline taxes and other consumption taxes because they fuck over working people more than other income demographics. So do Democrats, but Republicans especially love them and VAT taxes. Reagan also sicced the IRS on waitresses. lol

Explaining the Vehicle Mileage Tax Pilot Program from the Biden Infrastructure Bill​

"Within the $1 trillion infrastructure package, $125 million is earmarked to fund the pilot program for 2022-2026.

As stated in the infrastructure package, the vehicle mileage tax pilot program has two purposes:

"During the first three years of the vehicle mileage tax pilot program, volunteers representing all 50 states will participate.

Both passenger and commercial driver volunteers will be used. How volunteers will be chosen is not stated in the infrastructure bill.

Three years into the program, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg and Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen are to provide recommendations to Congress. At that time Congress could choose to pass new legislation to implement a fee.

Congress would establish a per mile user fee on an annual basis. The fee would vary among passenger vehicles, light trucks, medium trucks and heavy trucks.

Explaining the Vehicle Mileage Tax Pilot Program from the Biden Infrastructure Bill
HYPOCRISY ^^^:

Republicans love gasoline taxes and other consumption taxes because they fuck over working people more than other income demographics. So do Democrats, but Republicans especially love them and VAT taxes.

You are out of your mind. The GOP is the party of lower taxes while the Dems want them to be higher and they will look for any possible way to tax us more. To deny that is to deny reality. GOP = less taxes and less spending. Democrats = more taxes and more spending. Maybe you should write that down.

They are exploring ways to recoup the revenue lost when more people are driving electric cars

Don't bother with rational replies. There are teeth to gnash and politics to squabble over.

I am open to the idea in theory at least. I mean why should I have to pay highway tax for the fuel for my weedeater. It doesn't even have wheels. I fear the reality is we would just end up being double taxed both at the pump and on milage. I suspect this "research" will just amount to another subsidy for Tesla owners and little more.

If the pilot proves it doesn't work, then it won't be proposed....I'd rather them test it out, before just doing it!

My limited understanding of it, is that if things go as dems plan, and more electric cars will be on the road 10 yrs from now....

Then putting the burden of road wear and tear, only on those drivers paying a gas tax, is inherently unfair to them, when electric or propane autos and trucks put as much wear and tear without being taxed for it, because the vehicles do not use gasoline.

So, they are testing out different plans on how to create a mileage use tax INSTEAD OF A GAS TAX, is my understanding, that way electric cars and gasoline fired cars etc, are taxed the same...is what I believe is happening...

And of course states and the federal govt could have more infrastructure funds, for federal highway maintenance by getting the non fossil fuel cars back in to the taxing structure....

Last edited:
I am open to the idea in theory at least. I mean why should I have to pay highway tax for the fuel for my weedeater. It doesn't even have wheels. I fear the reality is we would just end up being double taxed both at the pump and on milage. I suspect this "research" will just amount to another subsidy for Tesla owners and little more.
How much gas do you buy for your week whacker or leaf blower in a year?

I think I might by 2 gallons a year for all my 2 stroke yard tools

It’s insulting that a mileage tax study is in this or any other legislation when Fed, State, and Locals get more out of a gallon of gas for risk-free revenue as opposed to what the oil companies generate from profit full of risk.

I will save you millions and tell you what will happen: your economy will become grossly uncompetitive/ costly and the average citizen will travel less, forcing the closing of many businesses and retailers but making Amazon billions when they order exclusively online.

Bullshit. Look no further than California and how Democrats continue to tax gasoline.

The only Year Reagan didn't raise taxes was in 1988. By then he raised taxes to higher rates than he started to almost 3% of the GDP. The only people who think this is 'bullshit' are those who can't read.

Forum List

Back