So I Went to the Market This Morning

and couldn't use my debit card. the woman at the store thought i locked myself out of the system by mis-inputting my pin.

but i didn't think so....

so when i got into the car and headed for work, i called my bank.... after being repeatedly told my debit car number would not let me into the system, and about 10 minutes of waiting for a customer service rep, it turned out that someone had used my debit card number to buy thousands of dollars worth of furniture.

but i didn't buy any furniture and if i had, it would have been purchased with my credit card so it had the extra coverage.

heck of a way to start the day. :woohoo:

Im with TD bank and I've had to get 3 or 4 new debit cards in the past 18 months.

Someone bought groceries in North Carolina with it, cancelled, prior to that, I had charges on Spyke? Skype? Seriously?

that sounds like the problem is internal with the bank.

you know my card was used in the bronx, frank. :evil:

it's skype. lol.

If your debit card number gets jacked, are you responsible for the charges? I know you are not with credit cards..

It depends, most banks offer the same protection for debit cards now as long as it's reported within the stated amount of time.

Sorry to hear it wasn't caught by the bank though most banks don't pay attention unless the debit purchase is over $3000 then they deny the payment until you contact them and authorize it. Some won't even allow you to authorize over that amount.
I never use my debit card as a debit card unless I'm withdrawing money from my bank and I carefully inspect the ATM before I use it.
I also use two cards, one for everyday purchases and only keep enough money in that account to cover those purchases. The other one, attached to the primary account, gets stashed away just in case of emergencies. If you need one card for both people in the house have a third primary account and only put enough money in the other two accounts to cover daily expenses.

Good luck getting it fixed Jill.

What do you look for when you inspect an ATM, or a self service gas pump?

ATM skimmers stealing your money | HLNtv.com

and couldn't use my debit card. the woman at the store thought i locked myself out of the system by mis-inputting my pin.

so when i got into the car and headed for work, i called my bank.... after being repeatedly told my debit car number would not let me into the system, and about 10 minutes of waiting for a customer service rep, it turned out that someone had used my debit card number to buy thousands of dollars worth of furniture.

but i didn't buy any furniture and if i had, it would have been purchased with my credit card so it had the extra coverage.

Thousands of dollars of furniture would have required a delivery, would it not?

Has that store been contacted and asked? Even if the thieves rolled up with a U-Haul there is bound to be store security footage. They should be contacted before they erase the footage.

Thousands of dollars of furniture would have required a delivery, would it not?

Has that store been contacted and asked? Even if the thieves rolled up with a U-Haul there is bound to be store security footage. They should be contacted before they erase the footage.

I'm not really sure what the store did. I know that the money is now back in my account because i just checked.

so other than a bit of inconvenience, all's well that ends well.

i am curious though about where my card got copied.

:ack-1::ack-1::ack-1:

holy shit! im sorry you got hacked!!!

ok... the funny not so funny one on us was this....

Mr Syrenn away on business and is trying to get out of the airport parking garage.... and it would NOT take his card.

Ok... we have had this issue before..when you start the day off in SF.. and then are in NYC for a few hours and end up in FL.... all in on day the credit card people get a bit crazy...

so on the phone he went.... hold hold hold... and the question asked of him.. "Were
you in Hong kong a few hours ago Mr Syrenn... and charged 5k worth of cosmetics?"

The smart answer Mr Syrenn gave them was.... "I was not aware syrenn was IN hong kong today...otherwise i would have said very possible".

:eek:

Mr Syrenn away on business and is trying to get out of the airport parking garage.... and it would NOT take his card.

Ok... we have had this issue before..when you start the day off in SF.. and then are in NYC for a few hours and end up in FL.... all in on day the credit card people get a bit crazy...

so on the phone he went.... hold hold hold... and the question asked of him.. "Were
you in Hong kong a few hours ago Mr Syrenn... and charged 5k worth of cosmetics?"

The smart answer Mr Syrenn gave them was.... "I was not aware syrenn was IN hong kong today...otherwise i would have said very possible".

ha! he knows you well! :lmao:

Ouch, that bites! Had you ever used your debit card on-line...?

on-line always gets the blame when many times your passwords are gotten from other places.

any place you use your card where you give it to somebody to purchase anything.,..if they get the code on the back (3 - 4 digit security) ...that along with the receipt has all they need to use your card online

Last edited:

the traitorous rat..... :lmao:

however.... you know why he said what he said too!

the traitorous rat..... :lmao:

however.... you know why he said what he said too!

lol. yes, i do!

Good luck... I had someone use my identity to open Verizon & ATT U-verse accounts. It wasn't a lot of money, but they apparently tried to get loans, etc. It is major headache.

1. File a police report.. you'll need it.
2. Write the 3 major credit agencies and send them copies of police reports.
3. File fraud affidavits with your bank.
4. GET LIFE-LOCK!!! You'll thanks yourself.

Best wishes.

fuck life-lock

never hand a debit card to anyone to finalize a purchase,

when using a machine where you scan and put in your pin...always know the store or forget it

Forum List

Back