So I Went to the Market This Morning

If your debit card number gets jacked, are you responsible for the charges? I know you are not with credit cards..

luckily no. it was a fraudulent transaction, so ostensibly the money should be back in my account by tonight. they said about 12 hours.

Good...As it should be. All's well that ends well, I guess. Hope they nail the bastard thief too!

Without wanting to put a downer on it, they rarely do. Identity theft networks are often too complicated to penetrate and the police often don't have the time or resources to press charges.

A few years ago I was at work one morning when I got called by our fraud department ( I work for a bank). I have a corporate credit card that I use for when I travel for the bank and I had just been out in Chicago the prior week. Somebody was out in Las Vegas making charges of several hundred dollars to my corporate card at Walmart, of all places. If you're going to steal someone's credit card number and make a duplicate of it, why the hell would you go on a spending spree at Walmart??

luckily no. it was a fraudulent transaction, so ostensibly the money should be back in my account by tonight. they said about 12 hours.

Good...As it should be. All's well that ends well, I guess. Hope they nail the bastard thief too!

Without wanting to put a downer on it, they rarely do. Identity theft networks are often too complicated to penetrate and the police often don't have the time or resources to press charges.

You'd think in Jillian's case, though, assuming this furniture store has security cameras, they would at least be able to get the person's picture. They should easily be able to figure out who the salesman was, find the time of the transaction in their computer system, and then try to catch the thief's face on camera.

A few years ago I was at work one morning when I got called by our fraud department ( I work for a bank). I have a corporate credit card that I use for when I travel for the bank and I had just been out in Chicago the prior week. Somebody was out in Las Vegas making charges of several hundred dollars to my corporate card at Walmart, of all places. If you're going to steal someone's credit card number and make a duplicate of it, why the hell would you go on a spending spree at Walmart??

Despite possessing the technical know-how to skim your details - if they didn't just buy the card/details - some people are greedy, stupid or desparate. Or all three.

Like I said earlier, some guy once tried to put down a deposit on a plot of land using my stolen details. That's akin to buying a house with stolen plastic. Regardless of whether it's debit or credit, someone's going to start asking some awkward questions sooner or later.

You'd think in Jillian's case, though, assuming this furniture store has security cameras, they would at least be able to get the person's picture. They should easily be able to figure out who the salesman was, find the time of the transaction in their computer system, and then try to catch the thief's face on camera.

I don't know if you saw it, but there was a thread a few weeks ago written by a regular user who'd had money taken from his account by someone who'd presented a poorly copied counterfeit cheque to a bank cashier. Despite having CCTV evidence and (I'm presuming) fingerprint evidence from the cheque, the police and the bank, Wells Fargo, weren't interested in pursuing the matter.

If anyone can remember or link the thread I'd be very grateful.

and couldn't use my debit card. the woman at the store thought i locked myself out of the system by mis-inputting my pin.

but i didn't think so....

so when i got into the car and headed for work, i called my bank.... after being repeatedly told my debit car number would not let me into the system, and about 10 minutes of waiting for a customer service rep, it turned out that someone had used my debit card number to buy thousands of dollars worth of furniture.

but i didn't buy any furniture and if i had, it would have been purchased with my credit card so it had the extra coverage.

heck of a way to start the day. :woohoo:

That's terrible. It happened to me before, the bank took care of it but how embarrassing and inconvenient.

well, that's the thing. it really was embarrassing. they look at you like you're a deadbeat whose card is no good. :evil:

although she tried to be polite about about it.

Who the hell cares how they look at you....the priority is getting this situation squared away and resolved...That is like saying wear clean underwear, not because it is the sanitary thing to do, but because you may get run over by a bus...:doubt:

If your debit card number gets jacked, are you responsible for the charges? I know you are not with credit cards..

It depends, most banks offer the same protection for debit cards now as long as it's reported within the stated amount of time.

Sorry to hear it wasn't caught by the bank though most banks don't pay attention unless the debit purchase is over $3000 then they deny the payment until you contact them and authorize it. Some won't even allow you to authorize over that amount.
I never use my debit card as a debit card unless I'm withdrawing money from my bank and I carefully inspect the ATM before I use it.
I also use two cards, one for everyday purchases and only keep enough money in that account to cover those purchases. The other one, attached to the primary account, gets stashed away just in case of emergencies. If you need one card for both people in the house have a third primary account and only put enough money in the other two accounts to cover daily expenses.

Good luck getting it fixed Jill.

the charge was over $3,000... and normally i don't make purchases that large with my debit card. i don't use store atm's... you know, like the kind they have outside of certain shops. only bank atm's. they tell me the money will be put back in by tonight, so that's a good thing. this isn't the first time i've had issues.

at one point, my card was frozen because of some type of identity theft pertaining to my family. for some reason, my name came up somewhere (prolly b/c i was a signatory on a couple of family accounts) and when i went to use my card found out it was frozen.

then there was another time when they called me and said the card number turned up on a list of stolen numbers.

yay technology.

I do not use my debit card, credit cards are much safer. Example, I had gone with my family to a restaurant for lunch and about Seven that evening loss recovery from Discover Card called and asked to speak to me. The investigator, knowing I was in California during the noon hour, had been flagged (somehow) that my card was used in CHINA on the same day I used it in CA.

She immeditely cancelled the card.

So, the card was scanned (?) by either someone in the Restaurant, or at the gas station where I filled up that morning. My only other current use of the card was at Safeway. I don't buy on-line (my wife does that but her card - though the number is the same - is somehow different 'cause the investigator identified my card as the one used in China).

Last edited:
That's terrible. It happened to me before, the bank took care of it but how embarrassing and inconvenient.

well, that's the thing. it really was embarrassing. they look at you like you're a deadbeat whose card is no good. :evil:

Who the hell cares how they look at you....the priority is getting this situation squared away and resolved...That is like saying wear clean underwear, not because it is the sanitary thing to do, but because you may get run over by a bus...:doubt:

you tell her, gramps :thup:

you tell her, gramps :thup:

.....you still trying del... :laugh:

It depends, most banks offer the same protection for debit cards now as long as it's reported within the stated amount of time.

Sorry to hear it wasn't caught by the bank though most banks don't pay attention unless the debit purchase is over $3000 then they deny the payment until you contact them and authorize it. Some won't even allow you to authorize over that amount.
I never use my debit card as a debit card unless I'm withdrawing money from my bank and I carefully inspect the ATM before I use it.
I also use two cards, one for everyday purchases and only keep enough money in that account to cover those purchases. The other one, attached to the primary account, gets stashed away just in case of emergencies. If you need one card for both people in the house have a third primary account and only put enough money in the other two accounts to cover daily expenses.

What do you look for when you inspect an ATM, or a self service gas pump?

What do you look for when you inspect an ATM, or a self service gas pump?

You're looking for anything that protrudes from the surface, above below or in the middle. And if it wobbles or isn't 100% secure on closer inspection, chances are it contains a camera focused on the keypad.

Though anyone with an ounce of sense covers the keypad while they enter their PIN.

... assuming they even bother looking for him.

i know... i know... i know... was still annoying.

and i was always taught to wear good underwear. :razz:

when they zapped my family's business account, we were able to get an address and name of the people who were stealing the funds. the bank said thanks, but we don't go after them....

they did put the money back in the account though... something like three times. at one point, the thieves tried to change the address on the account and had an ATM card and checks sent to them.

my dad put the kibbosh on that but he had to have a little chat with bank personnel because he had a "NO ATM CARDS" marking on the account.

didn't seem to help. although i think it's under control now.

Are you a morman?

Are you a morman?

did i say "magic underwear"?

and couldn't use my debit card. the woman at the store thought i locked myself out of the system by mis-inputting my pin.

but i didn't think so....

so when i got into the car and headed for work, i called my bank.... after being repeatedly told my debit car number would not let me into the system, and about 10 minutes of waiting for a customer service rep, it turned out that someone had used my debit card number to buy thousands of dollars worth of furniture.

but i didn't buy any furniture and if i had, it would have been purchased with my credit card so it had the extra coverage.

heck of a way to start the day. :woohoo:

Im with TD bank and I've had to get 3 or 4 new debit cards in the past 18 months.

Someone bought groceries in North Carolina with it, cancelled, prior to that, I had charges on Spyke? Skype? Seriously?

Forum List

Back