Snake Handling

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
The snake handling theology was an unique view held by certain folks in Alabama back in the 80s. It comes from Mark 16:18. As a kid I didn’t see the significance of choosing a verse from Mark 16:9-20 section of the Bible to use for doctrine because I grew in a KJV only church that never discussed being KJV only. We just were but it wasn’t a point of pride. Later in life I found out that modern translations do not have these snake handling verses. So basically the snake handling movement was an “in your face” KJV only sect. I grew up very close to these nuts. This was a thing in Scottsboro, Alabama. We used to joke about it a lot in school. These were fundamentalist before fundamentalism was popular.

Why would Baptist stand on a busy street intersection median and preach the word of God? That is what they did in OKC when I grew up there fifty years ago.

Why would Baptist stand on a busy street intersection median and preach the word of God? That is what they did in OKC when I grew up there fifty years ago.

That is still widely practiced. I think street preaching is more popular now than it was in the 80s and 90s. There is a verse in the Bible that says, “go out into the byways and highways and compel them to come in”. As I have matured and observed humans I have concluded that most of those street preachers are insincere. It would be a whole lot less scary and a whole lot of fun if you didn’t believe it. I have considered being one. Not because I am afraid of people going to hell without Jesus. I just want to do it because it would be fun to harass people.

The snake handling theology was an unique view held by certain folks in Alabama back in the 80s. It comes from Mark 16:18. As a kid I didn’t see the significance of choosing a verse from Mark 16:9-20 section of the Bible to use for doctrine because I grew in a KJV only church that never discussed being KJV only. We just were but it wasn’t a point of pride. Later in life I found out that modern translations do not have these snake handling verses. So basically the snake handling movement was an “in your face” KJV only sect. I grew up very close to these nuts. This was a thing in Scottsboro, Alabama. We used to joke about it a lot in school. These were fundamentalist before fundamentalism was popular.

Your Vice President is an experienced snake handler.

Last edited:

That is still widely practiced. I think street preaching is more popular now than it was in the 80s and 90s. There is a verse in the Bible that says, “go out into the byways and highways and compel them to come in”. As I have matured and observed humans I have concluded that most of those street preachers are insincere. It would be a whole lot less scary and a whole lot of fun if you didn’t believe it. I have considered being one. Not because I am afraid of people going to hell without Jesus. I just want to do it because it would be fun to harass people.
The do the snake handling while preaching on a street corner...

Long before the 1980s.. Snake handlers in Alabama go back to at least the 1940s or earlier.

Snake handling in religion - Wikipedia

Snake handling, also called serpent handling, is a religious rite observed in a small number of isolated churches, mostly in the United States, usually characterized as rural and part of the Holiness movement.

The practice began in the early 20th century in Appalachia and plays only a small part in the church service. Participants are Holiness, Pentecostals, Charismatics, or other evangelicals.

You Vice President is an experienced snake handler.

Im not following what you are saying.

The practice of snake-handling first appeared in American Christianity around 1910 and was associated with the ministry of George Went Hensley of Grasshopper Valley in southeastern Tennessee. Hensley was a minister of the Church of God, now known as the Church of God (Cleveland), founded by Richard Spurling and A. J. Tomlinson. In the 1920s, the Church of God repudiated the practice of snake-handling, and Hensley and his followers formed a separate Trinitarian body.

The do the snake handling while preaching on a street corner...

No. These churches were mostly deep in the woods tucked away on long dirt roads. Snake handling was their main ritual. They weren’t interested in bringing in the masses. They were elitists that had the maximum amount of faith. They trusted God to protect them from poisonous vipers. If anybody was great enough to be a snake handler then they would find their way to the church. There was no need to go seek members.

Snake handling, also called serpent handling, is a religious rite observed in a small number of isolated churches, mostly in the United States, usually characterized as rural and part of the Holiness movement.

The mainstream Holiness would often get teased and associated with the snake handlers. By the way even mainstream Holiness were considered fringe. So mainstream sounds like an odd word to use but I couldn’t think of another. The stereotypical Holiness family had women that wore long blue Jean skirts to their ankles and the dad was usually a wild hellion. For some reason these Holiness women were magnets for the most rowdy drunkards. I don’t see much Holiness people where I live now but there were a few from the mountains of Alabama.

Snake handling in religion - Wikipedia

The practice began in the early 20th century in Appalachia and plays only a small part in the church service. Participants are Holiness, Pentecostals, Charismatics, or other evangelicals.

I think it is no coincidence that they chose verses from the Bible to build their doctrine that aren’t considered scripture in modern Bible translations. (Mark 16:9-20)

Your Vice President is an experienced snake handler.
Interesting you should say that. . . when I clicked on the thread, I thought it was going to be about Jen Psaki. :auiqs.jpg:

article-601ab57c3af22.gif

It is still being done from Louisiana to Georgia and Tennessee.

Forum List

Back