Smoking In Cars With Children

I think a good parent will try to keep the smoke away.
Like hanging your cig out the window. Or even smoking outside at home..

A good parent would not smoke while driving a car with a child in the car.
A better parent would stop smoking so it would be less likely that his child would be harmed by cigarette smoke or get addicted.

What are your thoughts on this....

People who smoke cigarettes in cars with children could be hit with a $100 fine if legislation proposed by a Virginia House Republican becomes law

I think it makes as much sense as fining parents who don't buckle their children in.

It is a safety and health issue.

What do you think about school busses?

I am against smoking in school buses.

People who smoke cigarettes in cars with children could be hit with a $100 fine if legislation proposed by a Virginia House Republican becomes law

I think it makes as much sense as fining parents who don't buckle their children in.

They appear to be larger than cars?

Maybe someone here can tell me why asthma and allergies have skyrocketed among children, while our air is cleaner than ever, and they are exposed to less cigarette smoke than ever.

I'm all ears.

Mark
Sounds like a logical fallacy. No one claimed cigarettes were the sole cause of allergies or asthma.

Nor did I. However, the air is much cleaner today then when I was a kid. As a boy, I don't recall knowing even one other kid with asthma.

A few years ago, when I helped coach a middle school sports team, there were quite a few of them.

Does it occur to anyone that not being exposed to enough germs and chemicals early in life will cause these conditions?

Most studies on second hand smoke show that children exposed to smoke develop less lung cancer later in life than kids who are not exposed to it. Could it be that some exposure is good to build up an immunity?

Mark

When I was a kid, women didn't have trouble getting pregnant. Now we have fertility clinics. Children are becoming sexually mature at a much younger age now. Both of those thing are directly attributable to what is now added to our food - especially meat.

They say smoking causes a lower birth weight and yet babies used to be much smaller than they are now. The parents of those children were smokers. IOW, its very likely that bigger babies are being born to non-smokers.

There is some truth to what you say but no one develops an immunity to most household chemicals. That's just hooey.

And to extrapolate what you or I have written to meaning children are not harmed by indoor (or outdoor) pollution, including cig smoke, is ridiculous.

Smoke all you want but you do not have the right to force others, of any age, to smoke.

Do you have the right to subject them to car exhaust fumes or cookout flames?

Mark
I dont know many people that smoke exhaust fumes or cookout flames everyday.

Smoking with kids around is bad idea period. I've seen several people that died due to lung cancer that never smoke but partners smoke.

The Harmful Effects of Second-hand Smoke - HealthLinkBC File #30a
So, you are telling me that the people that directly inhaled the smoke didn't get lung cancer, but that those who were exposed sporadically did?

What does logic tell you as to your train of thought?

Mark
No. You obviously havent been keeping up with current events. Lots of people that directly inhaled the smoke have died.

Are you for seatbelts in school busses? If it's all about the kids health then maybe we should address some other things. Car windows down in a traffic jam, are you OK with that? How about video games? Are you for them? Riding bikes on anything other than flat concrete surfaces, you alright with that?

Bow down to the State, they know what is best for you.
Youre against abortion but its cool to kill off the children that are already out of the womb huh?

A good parent won't smoke around children...it's idiots that need the state to tell them not to

A good parent won't beat his children to death....it's idiots who think that the state shouldn't be in the business of telling that parent what to do.

Ci

Are you for seatbelts in school busses? If it's all about the kids health then maybe we should address some other things. Car windows down in a traffic jam, are you OK with that? How about video games? Are you for them? Riding bikes on anything other than flat concrete surfaces, you alright with that?
Its not all or nothing. That is the fallacy in an argument such as yours. Some risks are deemed more acceptable than others. Giving your child cancer and aggravating asthma and allergies are not acceptable.

Ci

Its not all or nothing. That is the fallacy in an argument such as yours. Some risks are deemed more acceptable than others. Giving your child cancer and aggravating asthma and allergies are not acceptable.

What about instant death from a face plant? How about brain chemistry being altered? There's no fallacy at work here, you either care about kids or you don't.

Ci

What about instant death from a face plant? How about brain chemistry being altered? There's no fallacy at work here, you either care about kids or you don't.
What about it? Yes there is a fallacy at work. Youre basically pretending that if we execute mass murders we should do the same to jay walkers. IOW the fallacy of false equivalence.

What about it? Yes there is a fallacy at work. Youre basically pretending that if we execute mass murders we should do the same to jay walkers. IOW the fallacy of false equivalence.

There is no false equivalence here. Smoking bad, right? How bad is it and when does it manifest? Leave your kid unattended, how much bad shit can happen and how soon? If it's all about the kid's health you're on a very dark path on this.

Seatbelts in school buses- I have heard both sides of the argument- and I don't think that there is a clear and convincing argument for either side- overall I lean towards more seat belts.

Windows down in cars? What is the concern there? They breath in the same air whether the windows are down or not.
Video games? Do you think video games cause lung cancer?
Riding bikes- kids should wear helmets- the surface that they ride on is rather immaterial

Seatbelts in school buses- I have heard both sides of the argument- and I don't think that there is a clear and convincing argument for either side- overall I lean towards more seat belts.

Windows down in cars? What is the concern there? They breath in the same air whether the windows are down or not.
Riding bikes- kids should wear helmets- the surface that they ride on is rather immaterial

They do not breath the same air.

There is no false equivalence here. Smoking bad, right? How bad is it and when does it manifest? Leave your kid unattended, how much bad shit can happen and how soon? If it's all about the kid's health you're on a very dark path on this.
Of course its false equivalence. Going out in the sun can be bad. There is a determination based on medical knowledge and public awareness as to whats acceptable and whats not. There is very real chance you will be harmed by smoking rat poison and god knows what all else.

Sure there is- why you want to excuse blowing smoke in a child's face I don't get.

We know cigarette smoking is bad for the smokers health- and for those who have heavy exposure to the smoke.
Yes- this is about a kid's health.

No- we can't protect kids from every possible situation- you appear to think that our options are binary- do nothing to protect our kids from health dangers- or protect them 100% from every possible health danger- presumably because you just are pissed that anyone would possibly restrict a parents right to blow smoke in his kids face.

how can you tell?

Of course its false equivalence. Going out in the sun can be bad. There is a determination based on medical knowledge and public awareness as to whats acceptable and whats not. There is very real chance you will be harmed by smoking rat poison and god knows what all else.

Ok genius here's the question.

What's worse for you quicker? Being in a car with your parents smoking or overexposure to the sun?

how can you tell?

By reading the owners manual. You should try it sometime.

Ok genius here's the question.

What's worse for you quicker? Being in a car with your parents smoking or overexposure to the sun?
I pick the strawman you just introduced.

how can you tell?

By reading the owners manual. You should try it sometime.
Air doesnt have an owners manual. Did someone trick you into buying something you didnt need?

Forum List

Back