Slackers take note: Colorado Now Seeing The Downside Of A Legal High

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Because it makes you, hmmmmm, let's see, it makes you forget things like, hmmmmm, let's see, it makes you forget things and stuff.
And makes you search the, hmmmmm, let's see, it makes you, hmmmmm, let's see, I forget.
Oh yeah, it makes you search your kitchen for Doritos !!! Yeah that's it man !!!!

Less than six months after Colorado became the first state to announce that it was legalizing the use of recreational marijuana, the battle between good and evil with the state’s decision still rages on.

The New York Times reported that law enforcement officers in Colorado and neighboring states, emergency room doctors, and legalization opponents have shed light on a series of recent problems as cautionary lessons for other states flirting with loosening marijuana laws.

ADVERTISEMENT

Recent reports from the state have attempted to trace marijuana as the catalyst for a number of crimes around the city. In one report, officials said a Denver man who, hours after buying a package of marijuana-infused Karma Kandy from one of Colorado’s new recreational marijuana shops, began raving about the end of the world and then pulled a handgun from the family safe and killed his wife. Hospital officials also said they have been treating a “growing number” of children and adults sickened by potent doses of edible marijuana. Sheriffs in neighboring states also complained about stoned drivers streaming out of Colorado and through their towns.

Convinced of marijuana’s dangers, the DEA and vocal groups of police officers, educators, and public health officials remain steadfastly opposed to the growing legalization movement. Legalization poses significant health and safety risks to Americans, the group argued to Science News. They say the drug wipes out memories, steals IQ points, and triggers psychosis, leaving behind a zombie nation of slackers vegetating in their parents’ basements. The group also concluded that the consequences may be especially damaging for teens.

“I think, by any measure, the experience of Colorado has not been a good one unless you’re in the marijuana business,” said Kevin A. Sabet, executive director of Smart Approaches to Marijuana, which opposes legalization. “We’ve seen lives damaged. We’ve seen deaths directly attributed to marijuana legalization. We’ve seen marijuana slipping through Colorado’s borders. We’ve seen marijuana getting into the hands of kids.”

In January, right after the initiative began, the Colorado State Patrol began tracking the number of people pulled over for driving under the influence of marijuana. Since then, marijuana-impaired drivers have made up about 1.5 percent of all citations for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Proponents of the law argued that officials are nit-picking at the budding industry and such criticism seeks to tarnish the industry’s name.

Supporters also argued that the majority of the state’s medical and recreational marijuana stores have been on the straight-and-narrow, and have abided by the state’s stringent rules. However, the cases in Colorado have been mounting since the law was enacted.

In February, for example, in the Denver suburb of Aurora, a 17-year-old planned to rob an out-of-state marijuana buyer. According to law enforcement officials, he accidentally shot and killed his girlfriend instead.

Colorado is also beginning to see more cases of pot-infused edible treats, such as cookies and chocolates.

In April, a fourth grader showed up on the playground and sold some of his grandmother’s marijuana to three classmates. The next day, one of those students returned to the playground bringing in a marijuana treat he had swiped from his own grandmother.

In March, the state recorded its first death directly tied to legal recreational marijuana when a 19-year-old African exchange student, Levy Thamba Pongi, fell to his death after he and three other students had driven from their college in Wyoming to sample Colorado’s newly legal ware legal marijuana. Mr. Pongi ate marijuana-infused cookies, began acting wildly, and leapt from a hotel balcony. officials said. The medical examiner’s office said marijuana intoxication had made a “significant” contribution to the accident.

Although medical marijuana has been legal in Colorado since late 2000, the legal and personal responsibility that comes along with this new law is still attempting to find its footing.

Colorado Now Seeing The Downside Of A Legal High

Marijuana is just bringing to light issues that already existed, in my opinion. Then again, I don't live in Colorado. I would like to hear opinions from people that do live there.

Harry J Anslinger was determined to find a reason why marijuana should be bannned in the US when he brought in scientists and they failed to find one he just illegalized it anyway and on nothing but his own opinion of the drug. It seems that trend still exists today when the evidence again starts citing a conflict between "good and evil" and a 17 year old punk accidentally shooting someone (funny how what he smoked should be banned but what he shot her with shouldn't).

Now I don't for a single second believe that it is harmless but I don't think it is any worse than tobacco or alcohol, the latter was also banned due to the opinions of a few zealots that eventually became unworkable.

Harry J Anslinger was determined to find a reason why marijuana should be bannned in the US when he brought in scientists and they failed to find one he just illegalized it anyway and on nothing but his own opinion of the drug. It seems that trend still exists today when the evidence again starts citing a conflict between "good and evil" and a 17 year old punk accidentally shooting someone (funny how what he smoked should be banned but what he shot her with shouldn't).

Now I don't for a single second believe that it is harmless but I don't think it is any worse than tobacco or alcohol, the latter was also banned due to the opinions of a few zealots that eventually became unworkable.

Brilliant ! Since it's no worse than two other harmful substances, let's legalize and increase the use of one more !!!

Replace the word "marijuana" with the word "alcohol", and you have the exact same consequences.

And those of us who were taught HISTORY in school, know how well that whole "prohibition" thing worked out in the 1920s and early 1930s.

This CRAP is the same argument that the "anti-gun" leftists use. Because there are ALWAYS going to be a certain percentage of people in our society that don't like to operate within the framework of the freedoms they have, the overwhelming majority who do honor their freedoms are supposed to pay for the sins of the few.

NONSENSE. ABSOLUTE NONSENSE. If people don't agree with the legalization of marijuana in Colorado, THEN STAY THE HELL OUT OF COLORADO!

Oh, by the way, I live in a state that has the motto "Live Free Or DIE", so I take my freedoms VERY seriously.

Replace the word "marijuana" with the word "alcohol", and you have the exact same consequences.

And those of us who were taught HISTORY in school, know how well that whole "prohibition" thing worked out in the 1920s and early 1930s.

This CRAP is the same argument that the "anti-gun" leftists use. Because there are ALWAYS going to be a certain percentage of people in our society that don't like to operate within the framework of the freedoms they have, the overwhelming majority who do honor their freedoms are supposed to pay for the sins of the few.

NONSENSE. ABSOLUTE NONSENSE. If people don't agree with the legalization of marijuana in Colorado, THEN STAY THE HELL OUT OF COLORADO!

Oh, by the way, I live in a state that has the motto "Live Free Or DIE", so I take my freedoms VERY seriously.

I don't plan on visiting any time soon, I have no desire to contribute any of my vacation dollars.

Marijuana use involved in more fatal accidents in Colorado

University of Colorado Denver*

AURORA, Colo. (May 15, 2014) – The proportion of marijuana-positive drivers involved in fatal motor vehicle crashes in Colorado has increased dramatically since the commercialization of medical marijuana in the middle of 2009, according to a study by University of Colorado School of Medicine researchers.

With data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Fatality Analysis Reporting System covering 1994 to 2011, the researchers analyzed fatal motor vehicle crashes in Colorado and in the 34 states that did not have medical marijuana laws, comparing changes over time in the proportion of drivers who were marijuana-positive and alcohol-impaired.

The researchers found that fatal motor vehicle crashes in Colorado involving at least one driver who tested positive for marijuana accounted for 4.5 percent in the first six months of 1994; this percentage increased to 10 percent in the last six months of 2011. They reported that Colorado underwent a significant increase in the proportion of drivers in a fatal motor vehicle crash who were marijuana-positive after the commercialization of medical marijuana in the middle of 2009. The increase in Colorado was significantly greater compared to the 34 non-medical marijuana states from mid-2009 to 2011. The researchers also reported no significant changes over time in the proportion of drivers in a fatal motor vehicle crash who were alcohol-impaired within Colorado and comparing Colorado to the 34 non-medical marijuana states.

Stacy Salomonsen-Sautel, Ph.D, who was a postdoctoral fellow in the Department of Pharmacology, is the lead author of the study, which is available online in the journal*Drug and Alcohol Dependence. Christian Hopfer, MD, associate professor of psychiatry, is the senior author.

Salomonsen-Sautel said the study raises important concerns about the increase in the proportion of drivers in a fatal motor vehicle crash who were marijuana-positive since the commercialization of medical marijuana in Colorado, particularly in comparison to the 34 non-medical marijuana states. While the study does not determine cause and effect relationships, such as whether marijuana-positive drivers caused or contributed to the fatal crashes, it indicates a need for better education and prevention programs to curb impaired driving.

###

Other researchers from the School of Medicine who are authors of the study are Sung-Joon Min, Ph.D, Joseph T. Sakai, M.D., and Christian Thurstone, M.D.. The study was funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse and the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.

Faculty at the University of Colorado School of Medicine work to advance science and improve care. These faculty members include physicians, educators and scientists at University of Colorado Hospital, Children's Hospital Colorado, Denver Health, National Jewish Health, and the Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center. The school is located on the Anschutz Medical Campus, one of four campuses in the University of Colorado system. To learn more about the medical school's care, education, research and community engagement, visit its web site.

Colorado highways have turned into bumper car, but then, that was the plan. The legal mj issue is funded by the auto industry. Car crashes mean car sales.

Yet pot has killed less people than mass killings with a weapon called a firearm, pot has killed fewer people than love gone bad and wars, yet those that hate pot love the other massive killings of humans...

Forum List

Back