Should of ...

While I'm against the total bastardization of the English language(like ebonics).
I dont really care if you make a few mistakes,as long as you get your point across.

I'm sure someone can tell me how many mistakes I made in this post. Feel free to do so.....

Corrected:

While I'm against the total bastardization of the English language (like Ebonics), I don't really care if you make a few mistakes as long as you get your point across.

I'm sure someone can tell me how many mistakes I made in this post. Feel free to do so.
Apostrophe added. Ellipsis deleted.
I missed the apostrophe. The ellipsis could go either way...

While I'm against the total bastardization of the English language(like ebonics).
I dont really care if you make a few mistakes,as long as you get your point across.

I'm sure someone can tell me how many mistakes I made in this post. Feel free to do so.....

Corrected:

While I'm against the total bastardization of the English language (like Ebonics), I dont really care if you make a few mistakes as long as you get your point across.

I'm sure someone can tell me how many mistakes I made in this post. Feel free to do so...

Languages aren't capitalized. The English people speak english.

The standards have been falling to the point where esl foreigners often can speak our native language better than we.

What one types here doesn't have to be formal and grammatically perfect, but one should strive to get as close to perfect as possible. There's no excuse at all for incorrect spelling when spell checking is available on all computers.

One's credibility suffers when one posts poorly. A well-written post is more likely to be accepted as factual.

Corrected:

While I'm against the total bastardization of the English language (like Ebonics), I dont really care if you make a few mistakes as long as you get your point across.

I'm sure someone can tell me how many mistakes I made in this post. Feel free to do so...

According to the Chicago school, nouns and adjectives designating cultural styles, movements, and schools, are capitalized if derived from proper nouns (such as England).

Idiocracy, it's here.

The bastardization of the glorious and eloquent English language has been a problem for ages. I dare say, few people today could pass a grammar test. Sentence structure has been all but destroyed; I notice this more now than when I was younger, partly because I write a lot, partly because I am more aware, and partly because people are becoming more ignorant. There are countless examples I could give, but the latest I am seeing more and more is-

"I should of went somewhere else."

I wonder how many here will even see the grotesque stupidity in that sentence.

[MENTION=46796]shart_attack[/MENTION]

idiocracy

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.
1.idocrase
2.autocracy
3.diachrony
4.Ediacaran
5.ideography
6.diachronic
7.editorialize
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/idiocracy

Did you make this one up yourself, Archie, or get it off another ignoramus bastardizing our language?

Also, Archie, there is this abstract concept we call hyperbole. Ever heard of it? It means extreme exaggeration. It is not considered a good thing in general. It may be used as a literary or rhetorical device and is effective if the author is aware of how and why he is using it. Often, however, the author is not aware, as you are not, or so I believe, of using it. Its unintended use indicates a lack of effective rhetorical skills as well as a lack of critical thinking skills.

All sorts of techniques may be used in writing if they are effective and the author is conscious of their use and hoped for effect. This would include non-standard English, slang, hyperbole, repetition, sentence fragments, and so on, if they are used purposefully by the author to make a point. See what I mean?

And, of course, as another poster has pointed out, language, any language, is fluid. We don’t use the language of Hamlet or Beowulf for that very reason. In fact, modern day English in America and the UK has many differences. Language is fluid. It is not a stagnant pond; it is a raging river. Just sayin’.

Last edited:

According to the Chicago school, nouns and adjectives designating cultural styles, movements, and schools, are capitalized if derived from proper nouns (such as England).

I see. I was taught otherwise all those many years ago.

Specific names of languages are capitalized.

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/592/01/

The names of countries, nationalities, and specific languages

Costa Rica

Spanish

French

English

Last edited:
Idiocracy, it's here.

The bastardization of the glorious and eloquent English language has been a problem for ages. I dare say, few people today could pass a grammar test. Sentence structure has been all but destroyed; I notice this more now than when I was younger, partly because I write a lot, partly because I am more aware, and partly because people are becoming more ignorant. There are countless examples I could give, but the latest I am seeing more and more is-

Troof.

You should of made a poll, too.

I'll bet a lot of fellow USMBers blame George W. Bush. :badgrin:

Howey said:
I know...I hear phrases like that come out of the mouths of rednecks and shudder...

That's funny.

The most egregious offenses toward the English language that I read on this board come from you.

Slang is a fundamental part of the language.

English wouldn't be particularly fun to try to learn to speak if we all still spoke like King James or Shakespeare.

But based on what I've read from you on this board, Howey, I don't think you know much about the language at all.

I isn't impressed.

Shakespeare's plays have a great deal of slang throughout. Yep.

Idiocracy, it's here.

Troof.

Howey said:
I know...I hear phrases like that come out of the mouths of rednecks and shudder...

That's funny.

The most egregious offenses toward the English language that I read on this board come from you.

English wouldn't be particularly fun to try to learn to speak if we all still spoke like King James or Shakespeare.

But based on what I've read from you on this board, Howey, I don't think you know much about the language at all.

I isn't impressed.

Slang is appropriate most certainly in fiction. What I am seeing, hearing, reading now is not slang, it's ignorance, and it's caused by verbal communication completely eclipsing written communication.

Should of...

I seen ...

They make me shudder.

However, our language is a living thing. We add new words and we spell the old one differently. Its been that way from the beginning.

Poor enunciation bothers me just as much. Listen to our so-called journalists and talking heads. They can't pronounce their own language.

We need to fight against the right's calling education "elitism" and rewarding stupidity by running and electing true idiots like Bachmann, Gohmert, Santorum and others. Don't blame me for calling them dumb. Santorum and Jindal did that for us.

Seriously, you RWs need to demand that your politicians be educated and intelligent. And, yes, I know - if they are educated, they will be Dems. ;)

Democrats seem to say more stupid things than Republicans do.
I have never heard any Republican running for the Presidency say we have 57 states or a Representative on the floor of the house say, if everyone stands on one end of an Island that it will sink.
Schools not teaching our young, effect everyone in this country not just the left or right.

Troof.

That's funny.

I isn't impressed.

Slang is appropriate most certainly in fiction. What I am seeing, hearing, reading now is not slang, it's ignorance, and it's caused by verbal communication completely eclipsing written communication.

Absolute nonsense. The language of prose, drama, and poetry reflects the language of the time, place and people. It is not a separate thing. You are really irritatingly ignorant about which you are being so bombastic.

Absolute nonsense. The language of prose, drama, and poetry reflects the language of the time, place and people. It is not a separate thing. You are really irritatingly ignorant about which you are being so bombastic.

You're a moron, clearly. If I am corresponding about matters of business, I don't give a flying fuck if English has gone in the toilet for the great unwashed; I expect a professional to read and write well enough that they don't present themselves as a rube.

"Should of..." is not slang, it's ignorance.

While I'm not certain of the level of ignorance that drives some people to use "should of" instead of the correct "should have," I do know from where the former is derived. It is obviously the written bastardization of the spoken contraction "should've."

Of course the folks using "should of" are often times the same folks who can't figure out the difference between "to, too, and two" or "then and than..."

I think laziness drives these errors as much as ignorance.

I miss commas. Remember the old joke about how commas save lives?

We're going to eat grandma.
We're going to eat, grandma.

Should of...

I seen ...

They make me shudder.

However, our language is a living thing. We add new words and we spell the old one differently. Its been that way from the beginning.

Poor enunciation bothers me just as much. Listen to our so-called journalists and talking heads. They can't pronounce their own language.

We need to fight against the right's calling education "elitism" and rewarding stupidity by running and electing true idiots like Bachmann, Gohmert, Santorum and others. Don't blame me for calling them dumb. Santorum and Jindal did that for us.

Seriously, you RWs need to demand that your politicians be educated and intelligent. And, yes, I know - if they are educated, they will be Dems. ;)

Democrats seem to say more stupid things than Republicans do.
I have never heard any Republican running for the Presidency say we have 57 states or a Representative on the floor of the house say, if everyone stands on one end of an Island that it will sink.
Schools not teaching our young, effect everyone in this country not just the left or right.

He wasn't running for the Presidency. He was running for the office of the president.
Its affect, not effect and you don't need that comma.

This is not a pissing contest you can win.

Even if what you wrote is true, its not the Democrats who want less education or who consider education to be 'snobbish' and anti-American.

I've made that should of mistake and gotten plenty of crap for it-mosty from mani. ;)

And I've made the mistake of saying your at the beginning of a sentence instead of you're.

So I guess you can say what you will about that. I don't come here and correct others' grammar. I come here to debate with a wide variety of people.

So as long as I know what they meant, I really don't care what they say.

However, it bugs the crap out of me that yurt won't capitalize his sentences. :D

Forum List

Back