Should of ...

Idiocracy, it's here.

The bastardization of the glorious and eloquent English language has been a problem for ages. I dare say, few people today could pass a grammar test. Sentence structure has been all but destroyed; I notice this more now than when I was younger, partly because I write a lot, partly because I am more aware, and partly because people are becoming more ignorant. There are countless examples I could give, but the latest I am seeing more and more is-

"I should of went somewhere else."

I wonder how many here will even see the grotesque stupidity in that sentence.

[MENTION=46796]shart_attack[/MENTION]

GRAMMER: It is the difference between knowing your poo and knowing you're poo.

Idiocracy, it's here.

The bastardization of the glorious and eloquent English language has been a problem for ages. I dare say, few people today could pass a grammar test. Sentence structure has been all but destroyed; I notice this more now than when I was younger, partly because I write a lot, partly because I am more aware, and partly because people are becoming more ignorant. There are countless examples I could give, but the latest I am seeing more and more is-

Say wha...?

Idiocracy, it's here.

Not to mention spellung.

Idiocracy, it's here.

Not to mention spellung.

He could be referring to Frasier Crane, a pretty smart guy who probably does know his poo.

I think it's a combination of schools focusing on other topics, and the technology that leads to some laziness. People used to do long math in their heads, and then we had the calculator. I really overlook the majority of it, but there is one that usually catches my eye...when someone uses "that" instead of "who", such as: I was talking to the guy that bagged my groceries." Anyway, as a former first grade teacher, I encouraged my students not to get hung up on spelling and grammar in the first stages of the writing process, because I didn't want them to be inhibited. We'd then work on the "sloppy copies" and use it to learn about the editing process. Some of the best writers probably have editors who are amazed at simple mistakes that need to be corrected. Even though we're all adults here, I've only picked on one person here for her writing style...and TM deserved it!!:lol: Oh, and that fucking idiot who used to post in multiple colors...refused to read that bullshit.:D
Your spot on about TM's lack of grammer and righting skiles.
Nope, your not a lair when it comes to her.

Idiocracy, it's here.

Only reason I haven't blown my brains out, or more to the point, other people's, is I assume the way people behave and write online and on tv is considerably different than in real life.

Idiocracy, it's here.

"I should have gone somewhere else." :thup:

The grammatical mistakes that make me shudder the most are: "I seen" and "where at."

Many people are unaware it is grammatically correct to begin and end a sentence with a preposition these days but when I hear professionals e.g., journalists and television anchors using "at" in the middle of, or at the end of a sentence structure I cringe. And, the trend is growing.

A television journalist recently asked someone, "where at did you see this happen?" The person responded, "I seen it with my own eyes, over there."

I would have asked, "where did you see this happen?" The uneducated person would have answered, "I seen it with my own eyes, over there." :laugh2:

Idiocracy, it's here.

The grammatical mistakes that make me shudder the most are: "I seen" and "where at."

Many people are unaware it is grammatically correct to begin and end a sentence with a preposition these days but when I hear professionals e.g., journalists and television anchors using "at" in the middle of, or at the end of a sentence structure I cringe. And, the trend is growing.

A television journalist recently asked someone, "where at did you see this happen?" The person responded, "I seen it with my own eyes, over there."

I would have asked, "where did you see this happen?" The uneducated person would have answered, "I seen it with my own eyes over there." :laugh2:

Not to mention --- as opposed to somebody else's own eyes.... ;)

LTNS Milady AA. :smiliehug:

Idiocracy, it's here.

Only reason I haven't blown my brains out, or more to the point, other people's, is I assume the way people behave and write online and on tv is considerably different than in real life.

You've seen that word, assume, dissected? :eusa_doh:

Idiocracy, it's here.

I would have asked, "where did you see this happen?" The uneducated person would have answered, "I seen it with my own eyes over there." :laugh2:

Not to mention --- as opposed to somebody else's own eyes.... ;)

LTNS Milady AA. :smiliehug:

:smiliehug:

Idiocracy, it's here.

idiocracy

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.
1.idocrase
2.autocracy
3.diachrony
4.Ediacaran
5.ideography
6.diachronic
7.editorialize
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/idiocracy

Did you make this one up yourself, Archie, or get it off another ignoramus bastardizing our language?

Also, Archie, there is this abstract concept we call hyperbole. Ever heard of it? It means extreme exaggeration. It is not considered a good thing in general. It may be used as a literary or rhetorical device and is effective if the author is aware of how and why he is using it. Often, however, the author is not aware, as you are not, or so I believe, of using it. Its unintended use indicates a lack of effective rhetorical skills as well as a lack of critical thinking skills.

All sorts of techniques may be used in writing if they are effective and the author is conscious of their use and hoped for effect. This would include non-standard English, slang, hyperbole, repetition, sentence fragments, and so on, if they are used purposefully by the author to make a point. See what I mean?

And, of course, as another poster has pointed out, language, any language, is fluid. We don’t use the language of Hamlet or Beowulf for that very reason. In fact, modern day English in America and the UK has many differences. Language is fluid. It is not a stagnant pond; it is a raging river. Just sayin’.

Hello Esmeralda. I have missed you. :)

Pennywise was perhaps referencing the film Idiocracy from 2006 which was an American satirical science fiction comedy illustrative of the way American life is going. :dunno:

Idiocracy, it's here.

idiocracy

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search bar above.
1.idocrase
2.autocracy
3.diachrony
4.Ediacaran
5.ideography
6.diachronic
7.editorialize
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/idiocracy

Did you make this one up yourself, Archie, or get it off another ignoramus bastardizing our language?

Also, Archie, there is this abstract concept we call hyperbole. Ever heard of it? It means extreme exaggeration. It is not considered a good thing in general. It may be used as a literary or rhetorical device and is effective if the author is aware of how and why he is using it. Often, however, the author is not aware, as you are not, or so I believe, of using it. Its unintended use indicates a lack of effective rhetorical skills as well as a lack of critical thinking skills.

All sorts of techniques may be used in writing if they are effective and the author is conscious of their use and hoped for effect. This would include non-standard English, slang, hyperbole, repetition, sentence fragments, and so on, if they are used purposefully by the author to make a point. See what I mean?

And, of course, as another poster has pointed out, language, any language, is fluid. We don’t use the language of Hamlet or Beowulf for that very reason. In fact, modern day English in America and the UK has many differences. Language is fluid. It is not a stagnant pond; it is a raging river. Just sayin’.

Hello Esmeralda. I have missed you. :)

Pennywise was perhaps referencing the film Idiocracy from 2006 which was an American satirical science fiction comedy illustrative of the way American life is going. :dunno:

Oddly enough I've actually seen that movie. And it's hilarious.

Forum List

Back