Should of ...

Pennywise

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2013
Idiocracy, it's here.

The bastardization of the glorious and eloquent English language has been a problem for ages. I dare say, few people today could pass a grammar test. Sentence structure has been all but destroyed; I notice this more now than when I was younger, partly because I write a lot, partly because I am more aware, and partly because people are becoming more ignorant. There are countless examples I could give, but the latest I am seeing more and more is-

"I should of went somewhere else."

I wonder how many here will even see the grotesque stupidity in that sentence.

[MENTION=46796]shart_attack[/MENTION]

I know...I hear phrases like that come out of the mouths of rednecks and shudder...

I've been seeing it for decades. That's one of the joys that comes with having a college English professor for a father...

I couldn't turn in a paper without Dad giving it the once over... and the twice over... and the third...

I miss you Dad...

Idiocracy, it's here.

The bastardization of the glorious and eloquent English language has been a problem for ages. I dare say, few people today could pass a grammar test. Sentence structure has been all but destroyed; I notice this more now than when I was younger, partly because I write a lot, partly because I am more aware, and partly because people are becoming more ignorant. There are countless examples I could give, but the latest I am seeing more and more is-

"I should of went somewhere else."

I wonder how many here will even see the grotesque stupidity in that sentence.

[MENTION=46796]shart_attack[/MENTION]

Troof.

You should of made a poll, too.

I'll bet a lot of fellow USMBers blame George W. Bush. :badgrin:

Howey said:
I know...I hear phrases like that come out of the mouths of rednecks and shudder...

That's funny.

The most egregious offenses toward the English language that I read on this board come from you.

Slang is a fundamental part of the language.

English wouldn't be particularly fun to try to learn to speak if we all still spoke like King James or Shakespeare.

But based on what I've read from you on this board, Howey, I don't think you know much about the language at all.

I isn't impressed.

I think it's a combination of schools focusing on other topics, and the technology that leads to some laziness. People used to do long math in their heads, and then we had the calculator. I really overlook the majority of it, but there is one that usually catches my eye...when someone uses "that" instead of "who", such as: I was talking to the guy that bagged my groceries." Anyway, as a former first grade teacher, I encouraged my students not to get hung up on spelling and grammar in the first stages of the writing process, because I didn't want them to be inhibited. We'd then work on the "sloppy copies" and use it to learn about the editing process. Some of the best writers probably have editors who are amazed at simple mistakes that need to be corrected. Even though we're all adults here, I've only picked on one person here for her writing style...and TM deserved it!!:lol: Oh, and that fucking idiot who used to post in multiple colors...refused to read that bullshit.:D

While I'm against the total bastardization of the English language(like ebonics).
I dont really care if you make a few mistakes,as long as you get your point across.

I'm sure someone can tell me how many mistakes I made in this post. Feel free to do so.....

While I'm against the total bastardization of the English language(like ebonics).
I dont really care if you make a few mistakes,as long as you get your point across.

I'm sure someone can tell me how many mistakes I made in this post. Feel free to do so.....

Corrected:

While I'm against the total bastardization of the English language (like Ebonics), I dont really care if you make a few mistakes as long as you get your point across.

I'm sure someone can tell me how many mistakes I made in this post. Feel free to do so...

I've never been great in grammar and spelling. I've always been the Math and Science type. Problem solving. I know my grammar and spelling are off on some posts, but my message is the same. Sometimes I use run on sentences because I can whether it's correct or not.

I don't worry about the spelling and grammar police in the aftermath.

It's called the "dumbing down" of America. Seems like these days schools teach everything except reading, writing, and arithmetic. Think it's bad now? In 10 years it will be much worse.

It's called the "dumbing down" of America. Seems like these days schools teach everything except reading, writing, and arithmetic. Think it's bad now? In 10 years it will be much worse.

Common Core is a joke. It's purpose is to make the underachievers look better instead of rewarding those who are achievers. It's purpose is to lower standards.

:cuckoo:

Should of...

I seen ...

They make me shudder.

However, our language is a living thing. We add new words and we spell the old one differently. Its been that way from the beginning.

Poor enunciation bothers me just as much. Listen to our so-called journalists and talking heads. They can't pronounce their own language.

We need to fight against the right's calling education "elitism" and rewarding stupidity by running and electing true idiots like Bachmann, Gohmert, Santorum and others. Don't blame me for calling them dumb. Santorum and Jindal did that for us.

Seriously, you RWs need to demand that your politicians be educated and intelligent. And, yes, I know - if they are educated, they will be Dems. ;)

Corrected:

While I'm against the total bastardization of the English language (like Ebonics), I dont really care if you make a few mistakes as long as you get your point across.

I'm sure someone can tell me how many mistakes I made in this post. Feel free to do so...

Thanks!
Now tell me about your thoughts on how our country is headed in the right direction.
I find that to be way more important than how I put together a sentence.

Corrected:

While I'm against the total bastardization of the English language (like Ebonics), I don't really care if you make a few mistakes as long as you get your point across.

I'm sure someone can tell me how many mistakes I made in this post. Feel free to do so.
Apostrophe added. Ellipsis deleted.

Last edited:

I be chillin' at my crib doing squares....

Corrected:

While I'm against the total bastardization of the English language (like Ebonics), I don't really care if you make a few mistakes as long as you get your point across.

I'm sure someone can tell me how many mistakes I made in this post. Feel free to do so.
Apostrophe added. Ellipsis deleted.

Meh...I leave em out all the time.

Corrected:

Thanks!
Now tell me about your thoughts on how our country is headed in the right direction.

Wrong thread.

I find that to be way more important than how I put together a sentence.

Well, you asked...

Forum List

Back