Should McGwire, Sosa, Bonds, Clemens, etc. be in the HOF?

The_Lyrical_Miracle

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2021
Yes, I'm that guy that'll open this discussion.

My thoughts:
- Yes, they either were proven or suspected cheaters.
- However, they were legendary figures in the history of baseball.

When I go to the HOF, I want the story of the league. I want to hear about the black sox scandal. If you have to mention their drug use, so be it.

However, these sanctimonious sports writers that decide their fate are the most shallow, petty, 14-year-old-high-school-valley-girl type people on planet earth.

These guys belong in the HOF.

My thoughts:

When I go to the HOF, I want the story of the league. I want to hear about the black sox scandal. If you have to mention their drug use, so be it.

However, these sanctimonious sports writers that decide their fate are the most shallow, petty, 14-year-old-high-school-valley-girl type people on planet earth.

NO! But Rose should.

My thoughts:

Yes. Beyond the drugs (which, like it or not, just about everyone was doing from the 70s' on), they brought entertainment to the game, enjoyment to
the fans, gave the sportswriters something to write about, and made their teams and their respective ownerships millions of dollars in revenue. For the so called "purists" to keep
them out is the height of hypocrisy.

My thoughts:

Trickle-Down Jurinalism

Pete Rose also belongs there. Steve Garvey, too; the only reason he's not is that he was cold to the sportswriters.

What the heck, you might as well put them in the Hall. Who knows how many others that used performance enhancing drugs were never caught or suspected. Also, Curt Schilling should be in the Hall. I believe he's the ONLY pitcher with over 3,000 career strikeouts who's not in the Hall. And he's not in obviously because of his political views. It WAS nice to see Gil Hodges finally get in. He deserved to be there a long time ago.

Yes. Beyond the drugs (which, like it or not, just about everyone was doing from the 70s' on), they brought entertainment to the game, enjoyment to
the fans, gave the sportswriters something to write about, and made their teams and their respective ownerships millions of dollars in revenue. For the so called "purists" to keep
them out is the height of hypocrisy.
It's not unlike illegal migrants. You play by the rules. You also shouldn't expect props for cheating when others didn't. You have guys in the 40s who could be in the HOF but their numbers didn't add up since they spent prime years serving their country.

And no, not everyone was doing them. Schmidt might have had 600 homers with a boost.

It's not unlike illegal migrants. You play by the rules. You also shouldn't expect props for cheating when others didn't. You have guys in the 40s who could be in the HOF but their numbers didn't add up since they spent prime years serving their country.

And no, not everyone was doing them. Schmidt might have had 600 homers with a boost.
Alcohol use, use of greenies and other stimulants were rampant in the early days of baseball. Just not reported.
You have no idea who was doing what..unless they cop to it.

The big difference is, I don't care. Watching the 1998 home run race between McGwire and Sosa was a lot of fun.
I won't let a bunch of "never played the game" sportswriters ruin for me. :)

Alcohol use, use of greenies and other stimulants were rampant in the early days of baseball. Just not reported.

The big difference is, I don't care. Watching the 1998 home run race between McGwire and Sosa was a lot of fun.
With steroids, it's a bit like watching a trans-man compete with women in weightlifting.

It's sleazy. Bonds was belting 40 HRs when those who played by-the-book were in decline, as nature calls.

My thoughts:

those guys are all tainted......but even if they let them in....they will all have this * by their names.....

With steroids, it's a bit like watching a trans-man compete with women in weightlifting.

It's sleazy. Bonds was belting 40 HRs when those who played by-the-book were in decline, as nature calls.
Bonds was already a HOF before he clearly roided up.

I think Rose and Garvey should both be in the Hall. The conduct of a player on the field is what should determine his inclusion or not.

In the case of those who took steroids, what they did on the field was artificially enhanced and, for that reason, they should not be considered for induction...

Yeah, but Carlton who would not talk to the press but who never took steroids, was voted in on the first ballot none-the-less. He could not be refused.

Forum List

Back