STATISTCAL TRANSCENDENCE #3: Nolan Ryan

His ENTIRE LIFE is trolling this site. He has made fifty posts a day, 365 days a year, EACH AND EVERY DAY FOR ALMOST FIFTEEN YEARS.
Speaking of statistical transcendence… that should be my next thread in the series

Needs a hobby it appears. He’s definitely a political troll

Last edited:
I’ve seen you poo-poo strikeouts as just an out.. but strikeouts are preferred at a team level because runners can’t advance. An out isn’t an out. Groundouts cause runner advancement and occasional errors. Fly outs cause sacrifice flies. Ryan’s dominant strikeout pitching puts him above another pitcher who gets less of them

An out is still an out.

Strikeouts don’t result in a double play, a ground ball will
Strikeout pitchers have to throw more pitches to get an out, you can get a pop-up or ground ball out on one pitch

Bases loaded nobody out, you want a strikeout
Bases loaded one out, you want a ground ball

For some reason he appears to have a weird hang-up on Nolan Ryan. I get thinking a guy might be overrated, and people have that right to say generally, but this climbs above that. there’s some desperation here with very weak points and statistical blinders on
I have watched Baseball since 1964.
I saw Ryan come up with the Mets. Nolan Ryan was a dominating Pitcher for a long time….but not the best I saw. Not in my top five

I saw Ryan come up with the Mets. Nolan Ryan was a dominating Pitcher for a long time….but not the best I saw. Not in my top five
if Ryan was on either the Yankees,A's or Cincinnati in the 70's ....he would be considered one of the best ever....and would have had a few more no hitters....

it has lot to do with winning games.....ryan lost a no hitter once going into the ninth inning 1-0.....one of those bad pitches.....

Ryan was a strikeout and no-hitter machine. Nobody has come close. But they haven’t come close on walks either.

A strikeout counts the same as a ground ball or pop fly.
A No-hitter with four walks has the same outcome as a shutout with two hits

Ryan was a strikeout and no-hitter machine. Nobody has come close. But they haven’t come close on walks either.

A strikeout counts the same as a ground ball or pop fly.
A No-hitter with four walks has the same outcome as a shutout with two hits
lifetime batting avg against ryan was .204....find someone better.....just think if he was on a team that could score runs.....

if they hardly scored against the guy what does a walk matter?.....i seen ryan have the bases loaded and then strike out the side...
Ryan is also one of the all time leaders in Wild Pitches

Early in his career, Ryan was often his own worst enemy with walks and wild pitches costing him the game

Fair enough. I have players in sports that I think might be overrated.

It’s impossible to truly tell how valuable longetivity is. It’s easiest to compare how great people were based on their skills, but where is the cutoff as far as being able to maintain it over time? I think Bo Jackson is the most dominant running back the NFL has ever seen, but he didn’t last long enough to be considered in the greatest discussion.

An out is still an out.

Strikeouts don’t result in a double play, a ground ball will
Strikeout pitchers have to throw more pitches to get an out, you can get a pop-up or ground ball out on one pitch

Bases loaded nobody out, you want a strikeout
Bases loaded one out, you want a ground ball
I would say at least 75% of the time in baseball the ideal outcome for a pitcher is a strikeout.

If I were a pitcher, I would rather get a one pitch ground out than a Strikeout
If I were a team, I’d rather get a strikeout.. ground balls can be erratic, choppers can cause awkward singles, and errors can happen.

If I were a team, I’d rather get a strikeout.. ground balls can be erratic, choppers can cause awkward singles, and errors can happen.
Not what I see
I see teams obsessed with a pitch count. They want starters to go as deep in the game as they can. A pitcher getting out of an inning with only a few pitches saves the Bullpen

Forum List

Back