STATISTCAL TRANSCENDENCE #3: Nolan Ryan

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
Nolan Ryan is an odd bird when discussing the greatest pitchers of all time. While he was clearly a top 3 pitcher his entire career, he actually never won a Cy Young. There were arguably 2-3 years where, had there not been clear bias, he should have won... but that was shocking to me.

Let's look at all-time Strikeouts:
1. Nolan Ryan 5,714
2. Randy Johnson 4,875
3. Roger Clemens 4,672
4. Steve Carlton 4,136
5. Bert Blyleven 3,701

Ryan is 15% higher than the next highest pitcher in MLB history in strikeouts.

7 no-hitters, 3 above 2nd place who is Sandy Koufax
Led the league 11 times in strikouts
Struck out 383 in 1973, the most ever since 1900.
Pitched in 4 decades. 1966-1993
Struck out over 200 batters 5 times in his 40's, there are only 4 other 200 K seasons by over 40 players in MLB history

Fun fact: Nolan Ryan pitched to Roger Maris, Mark McGwire, and Barry Bonds

Nolan Ryan is an anomale in baseball pitching. I think the proper way to view him is that he was absolutely dominant in a generation/era that viewed Win-Loss by a pitcher as the tell-all. By today's metrics, knowing that a pitchers W/L can be decieving, Ryan would have won multiple Cy young awards.

Some people accumulate stats over time and it seems trivial or padding. Ryan was a top 3 pitcher for nearly all of his career which spanned a LONG lifespan... he wasn't a stat padder, his K record will never be touched. Of course, much of this is because current players are held to sub 100 pitch counts and aren't allowed to do what Nolan did. However, Nolan did what he did at a level so high above others who weren't being held back.

Even if today's studs were allowed to finish games when they wanted, none of them.. not MadBum, not Sherzer, not Verlander, not Kershaw... none of them would touch Nolan Ryan. He's on an entirely different planet.

He has achieved... STATISTICAL TRANSCENDENCE

Yeah, I remember watching that Knuckle ball he threw, and I thought there was a glitch in my TV screen.

Ryan didn't use the knuckleball, he DID have a wicked curve though!

Nolan Ryan is an odd bird when discussing the greatest pitchers of all time. While he was clearly a top 3 pitcher his entire career, he actually never won a Cy Young. There were arguably 2-3 years where, had there not been clear bias, he should have won... but that was shocking to me.

1. Nolan Ryan 5,714
2. Randy Johnson 4,875
3. Roger Clemens 4,672
4. Steve Carlton 4,136
5. Bert Blyleven 3,701

Struck out over 200 batters 5 times in his 40's, there are only 4 other 200 K seasons by over 40 players in MLB history

Nolan Ryan is an anomale in baseball pitching. I think the proper way to view him is that he was absolutely dominant in a generation/era that viewed Win-Loss by a pitcher as the tell-all. By today's metrics, knowing that a pitchers W/L can be decieving, Ryan would have won multiple Cy young awards.

Some people accumulate stats over time and it seems trivial or padding. Ryan was a top 3 pitcher for nearly all of his career which spanned a LONG lifespan... he wasn't a stat padder, his K record will never be touched. Of course, much of this is because current players are held to sub 100 pitch counts and aren't allowed to do what Nolan did. However, Nolan did what he did at a level so high above others who weren't being held back.

Even if today's studs were allowed to finish games when they wanted, none of them.. not MadBum, not Sherzer, not Verlander, not Kershaw... none of them would touch Nolan Ryan. He's on an entirely different planet.

Ryan did all that after the mound height was lowered in 1969.

I have over 100 Ryan BB cards, including his Rookie Card.

Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 10.08.00 PM.png

1. Nolan Ryan 5,714
2. Randy Johnson 4,875
3. Roger Clemens 4,672
4. Steve Carlton 4,136
5. Bert Blyleven 3,701

He was my favourite pitcher and many of hjs records won't be broken, I think you can add one hitters too. Also, look how many games he has !ost (3rd most.in histlory!). If only he had played on some better teams.

i seen him pitch in person i dont know how many times....he lost a lot of 1 run games including games were he only allowed 2-3 hits.....he had a no hitter against the White Sox after 8 innings and lost the game in the 9th on an error and an unearned run 2-1....

Last edited:
Ryan wasn’t even the best pitcher of his era

Carlton, Seaver, Maddox and Clemons were better

He didn’t win Cy Youngs because he was never the best pitcher in any year. He was close several times

He was a stat machine. But a strikeout counts the same as a groundout. A no hitter counts the same as a shutout.

Last edited:

Carlton, Seaver and Clemons were better

He didn’t win Cy Youngs because he was never the best pitcher in any year. He was close several times

He was a stat machine. But a strikeout counts the same as a groundout. A no hitter counts the same as a shutout.
There was a window where Ryan was unhittable, although brief like most pitchers.

But in terms of longevity and effectiveness, he stands alone with the most no hitters in MLB history, a record that will never be broken.

Carlton, Seaver, Maddox and Clemons were better

if he was on a better team he would have won a couple of times.....

Some of those Angels teams were not that bad
Houston had a great team
those not that bad angel teams finished 4,5 and 6th in their division....in 1972 he was 19-16 with a 2.28 ERA ....6x he allowed 2 runs or less and still lost because the not so bad Angels could not score a single run in any of those games....this happened quite a few times with that not so bad Angels teams in the 70's.........

those not that bad angel teams finished 4,5 and 6th in their division....in 1972 he was 19-16 with a 2.28 ERA ....6x he allowed 2 runs or less and still lost because the not so bad Angels could not score a single run in any of those games....this happened quite a few times with that not so bad Angels teams in the 70's.........

1972 was one of Ryan’s best year

Gaylord Perry won Cy Young
24-16
1.92 ERA
.978 WHIP

Nolan Ryan
19-16
2.28 ERA
1.137 WHIP

Forum List

Back