Aaron Judge’s 62nd home run ball falls short of record price at auction: report

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
When I heard he was offered $3M privately for it, I said to my wife "this guy has some balls taking it to an auction". I was thinking, "is he expecting to get $6M? He is probably going to get at best 3.5, so I didn't get it.

Not only are you selling the ball out of season near the Holidays, you probably want to sell such an item immediately after the event, or, with some added emotion attached to the sport during the baseball season. The winning bid was only $1.5M, plus I imagine he has to pay auction percentages rather than just say some lawyer fees to ensure a safe transfer of $3M.

Oh well, he wins either way, he liked to gamble and lost bigly.

Aaron Judge's 62nd home run may have left its mark in the history books, but at auction the ball he set the mark with reportedly didn't land in record territory.

placeholder

The ball that broke Roger Maris' American League record of 61 home runs sold for $1.5 million on Saturday night at Goldin Auctions, according to the New York Post.

The winning bid didn't come close to the $3.05 million that comic book artist and writer Todd McFarlane paid for Mark McGwire’s 70th home run ball from 1998.

Cory Youmans, who caught the ball and put it up for auction, reportedly turned down a private offer of $3 million for the ball last month.

The funny part is McFarlane's ball is worth what now? A small fraction of the $3 million he paid.

But yeah, not the best timing on the selling of this ball. I imagine they figured it was with Judge signing his new contract.

The reserve clause elimination and a higher percentage of hot-headed hot dogs from central America and the islands changed the sport. Number one sport of all and by the end of the 1960's they self-destructed. Endless strikes with no concern for past records made by legendary players while many used steroids to tarnish them. Many sports do not deserve the massive TV contracts extruding resources from the common citizen to watch. Yet the contracts for players keep rising. Reality is that those who have done well in employment even if they do not deserve it from the two generations after the World War 2 generation paying for the youngsters keep the stadiums full. That means the cable TV and other ways of broadcasting keeps the common man suckers to pay for it.

Forum List

Back