Should married couples without children receive benefits?

Should couples without children receive marriage benefits?

• Total voters
What are "marriage benefits"?

I am curious myself- as a married husband and a father- what are my 'marriage benefits'?

I get a tax credit for my dependents- but that has nothing to do with my marriage.

Then whats' with the rage about of gays wanting marriage rights and benefits?
They like to pretend.
The state gives special treatment to relationships that are likely to produce future citizens. The fact that some of those relationships dont is irrelevant.
This point goes over the head of the gay rights crowd every time. They just.dont.get.it.

The idea that the marriage benefits are based on producing children is ridiculous.

If the gov't gives benefits based on the potential to reproduce, why are there benefits like making decisions about medical care, or marital communications privilege (they can't force you to testify against your spouse)?

And if it all about the children, then why are gay couples allowed to adopt but not to marry?

I am curious myself- as a married husband and a father- what are my 'marriage benefits'?

I get a tax credit for my dependents- but that has nothing to do with my marriage.

There are an estimated 1,400 benefits (federal, state and local) for being married. Some are financial, as in tax breaks ect. Some are different, like visitation rights, the ability to make medical decisions for your partner if they are unable, and making sure your partner's last wishes are fulfilled.

I have heard that before myself- but my point really is that the people opposed to gay marriage seem to think that there are these vast number of benefits- usually having to do with 'tax benefits' that as a married man, I can say I don't see.

During my over 20 years of marriage at least twice we paid more taxes because we were married than if we were not married. The visitation rights and other things absolutely we have- but have never used.

We didn't get married for benefits- we got married because we wanted to be lifetime partners- in good times and bad, in sickness and in health.

But since there are legal benefits associated with being legally married- I believe that a same gender couple should have the same option to marry as my wife and I had.

They like to pretend.
The state gives special treatment to relationships that are likely to produce future citizens. The fact that some of those relationships dont is irrelevant.
This point goes over the head of the gay rights crowd every time. They just.dont.get.it.

Not over our head- we just discount bigoted rationalizations for discrimination.

They like to pretend.

The idea that the marriage benefits are based on producing children is ridiculous.

If the gov't gives benefits based on the potential to reproduce, why are there benefits like making decisions about medical care, or marital communications privilege (they can't force you to testify against your spouse)?

And if it all about the children, then why are gay couples allowed to adopt but not to marry?
You.just.dont.get.it.

What exactly are these "marriage benefits" in question?
Rights in inheritance. Rights in bankruptcy. Marriage is shot through the legal system. So I have to laugh when people talk about "getting the state out of the marriage business." THey dont know what the hell they're talking about. Considerations of marriage occur all through the legal code.

Gay couples are not allowed to adopt. ONE of the partners adopts. Not the couple. After the adoption is over, the other partner in the gay couple gets a testamentary guardianship over the adopted child.

If a couple has never had children, or adopted children, should they receive marriage benefits?

If they have no children, then why didn't they get benefits before they were married or even earlier when they were both single? Why does should simply stamping the label "married" grant benefits without children?

Gays and infertiles can adopt.
Yes they should because the state hopes they will change their mind, adopt, foster, grandparent or procreate. The state wants society to see that "man/woman" = marriage and the most important eyes to see this are our future-bearers...those that will carry the vital structure forward into the future, our children..

You're trying to say "the structure of marriage doesn't matter"...but it does...for the kids' sake.

Gay couples are not allowed to adopt. ONE of the partners adopts. Not the couple. After the adoption is over, the other partner in the gay couple gets a testamentary guardianship over the adopted child.

States that Allow Same Sex Adoption
According to a June 2011 report issued by the National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR), the following states have established laws (either through statutes or published appellate court opinions) that explicitly allow same-sex couples to adopt, either through a second parent adoption, domestic partner adoption or civil union adoption:

• California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • District of Columbia
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Maine
  • Massachusetts
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • Vermont
  • Washington
- See more at: Same Sex Adoption Laws by State It s Conceivable

If a couple has never had children, or adopted children, should they receive marriage benefits?

If they have no children, then why didn't they get benefits before they were married or even earlier when they were both single? Why does should simply stamping the label "married" grant benefits without children?

Serious difference between the two groups.

Most infertile hetro couples are reproductively disabled.

Many infertile hetro couples are to avoid serious health risks.

Neither of the above apply to gays within the units coupling.

yet all are equally infertile.

Not true, but if it makes you feel better

Any hetero married couple the state is in anticipation that they will have natural, adopted, fostered or grandparented children arriving on the scene. The structure is the important hinge for the sake of anticipated children. The state isn't in the business of policing people on their key interest in marriage: hetero parents (complimentary genders) of children..

lol. Nice try.

Forum List

Back