Should God's Law be the Law of the Land?

Coloradomtnman

Rational and proud of it.
Oct 1, 2008
Denver
Many who believe in the absolute truth of the Christian faith seem to believe that God's Laws should be the law or basis of the law in the US.

What think you?

I don’t accept any such thing as an “absolute truth of the Christian faith”.

Christianity was once the absolute law of the land. History defines that time period as the Dark Ages.

Good gawd. Not that again.

Many who believe in the absolute truth of the Christian faith seem to believe that God's Laws should be the law or basis of the law in the US.

What think you?

(My bold)

Which Christian faith is that?

Any of'em. All of'em.

(My bold)

The claim to fame is that Christianity is the one, true faith. So which one is it? They can't all be the "one, true faith." Ya gotta pick one, & hold it out for us to admire.

I believe it shouldn't be because I think government should be completely secular and not influenced by religious institutions or doctrines. So I strongly disagree with the thought that "God's law" should be the basis of our nation's law.

What think you?

I see nothing wrong with the 10 Commandments.

Should there then be a law that there is a jealous God and that there shall be no other god before Him?

Should there be a law against worshipping false idols?

Should there be a law requiring children to honor their parents?

Should there be a law against coveting one's neighbors' spouses or possessions? Wouldn't we need a thought police for such a law?

The Ten Commandments leave out "Thou shalt not rape." So would we leave that out?

(My bold)

Which Christian faith is that?

Any of'em. All of'em.

(My bold)

The claim to fame is that Christianity is the one, true faith. So which one is it? They can't all be the "one, true faith." Ya gotta pick one, & hold it out for us to admire.

That would be problem, wouldn't it, if such a theocracy was instituted? Catholicism, Protestantism, Mormonism, 7th Day Adventism, Jehovah's Witness-ism(?), or fundamentalism... Hmm.

It is my opinion that God's law IS the law of the land, and we break it at our peril. Our Founders however, almost all who were devoutly religious and believers in both Christianity and God's law, knew that manmade laws could not substitute for God's law and we create oppression whenever we presume to dictate to anybody what they may or may not do short of violating somebody's else's rights.

So our Founders deemed that the federal government should have no say whatsoever in religious law or any other matter that restricted the people's ability to form whatever sort of societies they wished to have and live their lives as they chose.

And they, almost to a man, were equally convinced that this did not in any way negate God's law as being supreme in the land.

It is my opinion that God's law IS the law of the land, and we break it at our peril. Our Founders however, almost all who were devoutly religious and believers in both Christianity and God's law, knew that manmade laws could not substitute for God's law and we create oppression whenever we presume to dictate to anybody what they may or may not do short of violating somebody's else's rights.

So our Founders deemed that the federal government should have no say whatsoever in religious law or any other matter that restricted the people's ability to form whatever sort of societies they wished to have and live their lives as they chose.

And they, almost to a man, were equally convinced that this did not in any way negate God's law as being supreme in the land.

A strong answer. So, can you briefly explain what is God's Law? And the Bible is too vague an answer. Specifically, what examples in the Bible are currently the Law of the Land, and what about those Biblical codes which are not i.e. much of Leviticus?

We don't need God's laws to be the law of the land in order to live them. Though we need to do what we can to make sure good laws are created and that laws that can be used to persecute the saints are not.

A strong answer. So, can you briefly explain what is God's Law? And the Bible is too vague an answer. Specifically, what examples in the Bible are currently the Law of the Land, and what about those Biblical codes which are not i.e. much of Leviticus?

Nobody is capable of knowing God or His ways. But we can draw some assumptions, and my assumption is that God's law makes legal all that is not sin. And sin is defined as that which is harmful in any way to ourselves and/or other whether intended or not, whether out of knowledge or ignorance. The Bible was never intended to be a 'rule book' but rather can give us insights into the benefits of hearing and obeying God's voice and the consequences for ignoring it or failing to seek it.

Last edited:
The constitution makes this a secular land with religious freedom.

I really like Foxfyre's comment above. Anyone, secular or religious, can create their own Life Narrative by using the book of James and all five chapters as a guide.

Forum List

Back