Should Animal Hunting Be Banned?

Trophy hunting for endangered species has no place. But sport hunting serves many purposes. Deer populations can over run and damage agriculture as well as residential gardens and landscaping. Try driving in my part of the country on any evening from September to December and chances are you may file an insurance claim due to hitting a deer.

Water fowl present many of the same problems.

Hunting animals in a responsible manner is far more beneficial to the wild animal population than one might think.

trophy hunting of an endangered species does have a place, as long as it is tightly controlled. The example of that guy from Texas who got to kill a Rhino is an example. The Rhino's that were sanctioned for hunting were males past breeding age that were still strong enough to chase away breeding males from breeding females. By allowing the hunter to kill said Rhino, the game management group got 1) tons of $$, and 2) a solution to the issue of the non breeding male interfering with breeding males.

Why is it wrong to hunt for hides or sport if it is done as part of a conservation plan?

Actually I don't have a problem under those circumstances. I literally mean JUST for sport or hide with no other agenda except for ego or luxury. Elephants, rhino, lion, cheetah, or even smaller critters if they aren't having a negative impact on the environment or property imo, is wrong.

If cattle & hogs are raised for food, I think it's a shame if their skin isn't used for clothing & shoes etc. If an animal is killed, then every useable part should be.

You think they dont use cow hide?

Of course & it should be used. Cows aren't slaughtered just for their hide are they? They are used for food & milk first.

WTF?

Are cows slaughtered just for their hide? If a cow is slaughtered for food, or after it's usefulness as a milk cow, then every part that can be used after its death should be used. What don't you understand about that?

Dude!!! You are the one who implied they didnt.

Actually I don't have a problem under those circumstances. I literally mean JUST for sport or hide with no other agenda except for ego or luxury. Elephants, rhino, lion, cheetah, or even smaller critters if they aren't having a negative impact on the environment or property imo, is wrong.

If cattle & hogs are raised for food, I think it's a shame if their skin isn't used for clothing & shoes etc. If an animal is killed, then every useable part should be.

Of course & it should be used. Cows aren't slaughtered just for their hide are they? They are used for food & milk first.

WTF?

Are cows slaughtered just for their hide? If a cow is slaughtered for food, or after it's usefulness as a milk cow, then every part that can be used after its death should be used. What don't you understand about that?

DUDE!!!! I am not a DUDE!!!! How about this: Are cows raised solely for their hide alone?

Yes, or no?

If they are, I did not know that. Such a big animal to be raised, consuming a large amount of feed- just for their skin sounds like a waste. I cannot see doing all that just for their skin ( & hooves) & if humans don't consume them, then I would think their meat goes into dog/cat food. Same goes for pigs & horses too.

Animals have done nothing to deserve this. Think about the harmless animals that haven't been doing anything to people. They get killed for no reason. Some people just want a new fur coat, some need a head on their wall, and others just want to kill for fun. Rabbits, deer, dogs and other animals get killed for stupid things like skins and fur. This will cause extinction and a change needs to happen.
BTW, researches show that about 200 million animals are killed every year.
According to nature:
Humans: Predators:
Animals: Prey.
/discussion

Last edited:
Hunting for food, or to thin an overpopulated species to protect it from suffering starvation/disease, or if necessary to stop destruction to property caused by them are acceptable reasons.

To hunt solely for hide or sport is wrong.

Why is it wrong to hunt for hides or sport if it is done as part of a conservation plan?

You do know that hunting is a sport, I suppose.

Yes. My husband is a hunter. I equate 'sport' hunting with killing an animal just for the sake of killing & not for other reasons such as food, or for conservation reasons.

I'm pretty sure your way of thinking is flawed and leaves me wondering how you could be so far off base. You see, it's the sportsman that are doing everything right, before, during, and after the hunt.

The problem with hunting lies with all the bad sports out there doing everything wrong, and that tends to make everybody look bad.

Animals have done nothing to deserve this. Think about the harmless animals that haven't been doing anything to people. They get killed for no reason. Some people just want a new fur coat, some need a head on their wall, and others just want to kill for fun. Rabbits, deer, dogs and other animals get killed for stupid things like skins and fur. This will cause extinction and a change needs to happen.
According to nature:
/discussion

Yeah pretty much. But keep in mind that predators can fall victim to their prey, including us.

According to nature:
/discussion
Yeah pretty much. But keep in mind that predators can fall victim to their prey, including us.
Darwin makes short work of the slow, sick, weak, stupid and/or lazy.

Except in human societies, where the slow, sick, weak, stupid and/or lazy are artificially supported by those who are not.

Animal hunting should not be banned. But what we condemn for children doing to animals is still blood lust for many adults.

Trophy hunting for endangered species has no place. But sport hunting serves many purposes. Deer populations can over run and damage agriculture as well as residential gardens and landscaping. Try driving in my part of the country on any evening from September to December and chances are you may file an insurance claim due to hitting a deer.

Hunting animals in a responsible manner is far more beneficial to the wild animal population than one might think.

trophy hunting of an endangered species does have a place, as long as it is tightly controlled. The example of that guy from Texas who got to kill a Rhino is an example. The Rhino's that were sanctioned for hunting were males past breeding age that were still strong enough to chase away breeding males from breeding females. By allowing the hunter to kill said Rhino, the game management group got 1) tons of $$, and 2) a solution to the issue of the non breeding male interfering with breeding males.

Excellent post.

Conservation does on occasion require killing animals. Why hire professional hunters to do it rather than raise funds for hiring more guards to prevent illegal hunting? I have no interest in killing animals, but as long as I eat meat, I am not going to pretend that killing a non-endangered species is unethical- or culling as you point out doesn't serve a valuable purpose.

trophy hunting should end but hunting for food or to cull should be continued

what about a trophy hunt that culls the herd and provides food

Culling is not a trophy hunt. Trophy is for the skin and head only, not the meat, such as lion hunt or elephant. Culling is when a horse or wolf group becomes too large. Hunting for food has limits on how much you can take.

Animal hunting should not be banned. But what we condemn for children doing to animals is still blood lust for many adults.

In some areas it is vital for food. Natives and people in alaska or remote rural areas you can't run down to the local grocery store. Some meats are not available in the grocery store. When was the last time you saw squirrel meat or snake in your store?

In some areas it is vital for food. Natives and people in alaska or remote rural areas you can't run down to the local grocery store. Some meats are not available in the grocery store. When was the last time you saw squirrel meat or snake in your store?
When does taking squirrel or snake for dinner compare to children torturing and killing animals?

Just don't waste the meat or take more than your limit

According to nature:
/discussion
Darwin makes short work of the slow, sick, weak, stupid and/or lazy.

Except in human societies, where the slow, sick, weak, stupid and/or lazy are artificially supported by those who are not.

Your ability to state the obvious surely must be unmatched on this board. Or any other for that matter.

Hunting for food, or to thin an overpopulated species to protect it from suffering starvation/disease, or if necessary to stop destruction to property caused by them are acceptable reasons.

To hunt solely for hide or sport is wrong.

You do know that hunting is a sport, I suppose.

Yes. My husband is a hunter. I equate 'sport' hunting with killing an animal just for the sake of killing & not for other reasons such as food, or for conservation reasons.

I'm pretty sure your way of thinking is flawed and leaves me wondering how you could be so far off base. You see, it's the sportsman that are doing everything right, before, during, and after the hunt.

The problem with hunting lies with all the bad sports out there doing everything wrong, and that tends to make everybody look bad.

I suppose my inability to separate the two words 'trophy' & 'sport' is the problem. I think of hunting for 'sport' would be for example: fox hunting. But I suppose that would be considered 'trophy'? Because it is not for food or usually for conservation purposes or property protection.

WTF?

DUDE!!!! I am not a DUDE!!!! How about this: Are cows raised solely for their hide alone?

Yes, or no?

If they are, I did not know that. Such a big animal to be raised, consuming a large amount of feed- just for their skin sounds like a waste. I cannot see doing all that just for their skin ( & hooves) & if humans don't consume them, then I would think their meat goes into dog/cat food. Same goes for pigs & horses too.

YOU IMPLIED THEY WERE!!!!!!!!!!!
For fucks sake read what you post!!!

When does taking squirrel or snake for dinner compare to children torturing and killing animals?

I suspect that the posters unwarranted comparisons you are replying to clearly shows a complete lack of knowledge relevant to this topic of discussion, on their part.

WTF?

Yes, or no?

YOU IMPLIED THEY WERE!!!!!!!!!!!
For fucks sake read what you post!!!

Oh, for fuck's sake I did not. You misread or misunderstood whatever you think I wrote as an implication. Trust me, I don't 'imply' anything. I will say exactly what I mean.

Forum List

Back