Should a child's chosen gender be used in Special Education paperwork?

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
I ask because I'm training a new special education teacher in the incredibly burdensome paperwork required. These are legal documents, not to be taken lightly.

It happens this teacher copied and pasted some verbiage about a student and customized it to that student's needs. Very good. But she calls the student "he" in some sentences and "she" in other. Just an editing error I'm sure, but what if the student prefers "he" when her gender is biologically female?

Don't fall back on "they." It's nice as a cop out, but very confusing as grammar and could invalidate the document in a hearing.

I ask because I'm training a new special education teacher in the incredibly burdensome paperwork required. These are legal documents, not to be taken lightly.

It happens this teacher copied and pasted some verbiage about a student and customized it to that student's needs. Very good. But she calls the student "he" in some sentences and "she" in other. Just an editing error I'm sure, but what if the student prefers "he" when her gender is biologically female?

Don't fall back on "they." It's nice as a cop out, but very confusing as grammar and could invalidate the document in a hearing.
Parent involvement if this turns out to not be a typo. If it turns out it wasn’t a typo, the teacher should meet with the parents and student together. Maybe give the school nurse and school counselor a heads-up for consistency. With special ed kids IEP’s are always individualized to meet to best meet the student’s needs and measure progress. Focusing on the student’s needs conducive to learning and development of social skills are also crucial. Hopefully, the new teacher considers it a privilege to be in special ed, and relays this positive message to her students. Some kids are embarrassed about it and this should not be the case.

Last edited:
Twenty years ago I was still in school myself. If I knew then that there would be confusion two decades later about whether or not somebody was a boy or a girl or how many genders there actually is I would have seriously thought that you were out of your mind if you told me that and actually believed it. 🙄

Yep, and the groomers are trying to confuse children into questioning their gender. These are kids who still believe in Standa Claus and they are pressuring them to make life-altering choices.

It is downright criminal.

I agree,.. but I still believe in the spirit of Santa Claus though. I also believe a whole bunch of Democrats are going to get coal in their stockings this Christmas. Trick or treat mother fuckers!!! That's REALLY something to be thankful for. ;)

Parent involvement if this turns out to not be a typo. If it turns out it wasn’t a typo, the teacher should meet with the parents and student together. Maybe give the school nurse and school counselor a heads-up for consistency. With special ed kids IEP’s are always individualized to meet to best meet the student’s needs and measure progress. Focusing on the student’s needs conducive to learning and development of social skills are also crucial. Hopefully, the new teacher considers it a privilege to be in special ed, and relays this positive message to her students. Some kids are embarrassed about it and this should not be the case.
I must have explained it wrong. It was a typo for sure, it's only a draft that I was checking for a new teacher. I'm pretty sure this student identifies as the gender she appears to be, so it won't be an issue. But in emailing the new teacher, I realized that I would have to guess at the child's gender, and only doctors do that.

Here's what I'm thinking: If a student identifies as a gender not on his or her birth certificate, and we "honor" that by putting that pronoun in the IEP paperword, the parent will see it.

What if the parent decides to send the child somewhere that they will pray the gay away? Would that be my fault?

No shit....barring a birth defect it's either he or she based on "stick or hole". ;)
Dude this is Texas - the non-Austin part. If I ask a kid to see either a stick or a hole, I'll be fired and then fired on as I leave the building.

Forum List

Back