Sheriff: Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse

The woman, who works at Miller Weldmaster Corp., which offers machines used in manufacturing items such as inflatable products, awnings and tarps, had a loaded gun in her purse and the safety was off. When she exited her vehicle just after 9:30 a.m. Friday outside the business at 4220 Alabama Ave. SW, she dropped her purse and the gun fired. She was taken to a local hospital, Maier said.

The woman does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, Maier said. The Stark County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident, and no charges had been filed Friday morning.

Sheriff Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse - News - The Independent - Massillon OH

carrying my makes you safer? Do we really need more people like this? Glad she shot herself rather than some innocent person.

So she didn't have a permit.

And she didn't have the safety on.

And she shot herself on accident.

You're glad she shot herself.

What's your point, buddy? Please tell me exactly why you brought this up. I promise not to rip you apart if you're nice about it.

That's entirely up to you. There's no need to worry about safeties, or the gun going off inadverntly when the chambers empty. Just saying
Had a guy come at me at the bar 2 weeks ago. Had the gun on target in a1/4 second. He'd have been on me if I had to rack a round.
All ended surprisingly well when he realized he didn't have the knife he thought he had.

If you didn't even fire you didn't need one in the chamber.
You are insane! I am not willing to take that chance. If you are, I feel very sorry for you.

Again you didn't fire. A bullet in the chamber made no difference. How many people have you shot?

Don't feel sorry for me, I don't even need to carry and I am fine.
I've not had to shoot anyone, but I am willing and able to if have to.
I own a bar. I more or less need to have a firearm. There still are a few Liberals in Alabama.

Ok how many times have you shot at people? I'd probably carry too if I had a bar, I just don't think it matters if you have one in the chamber or not. How many times have you pulled it on somebody armed?

The woman, who works at Miller Weldmaster Corp., which offers machines used in manufacturing items such as inflatable products, awnings and tarps, had a loaded gun in her purse and the safety was off. When she exited her vehicle just after 9:30 a.m. Friday outside the business at 4220 Alabama Ave. SW, she dropped her purse and the gun fired. She was taken to a local hospital, Maier said.

The woman does not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, Maier said. The Stark County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the incident, and no charges had been filed Friday morning.

Sheriff Woman accidentally shot by gun in her purse - News - The Independent - Massillon OH

carrying my makes you safer? Do we really need more people like this? Glad she shot herself rather than some innocent person.

What's your point, buddy? Please tell me exactly why you brought this up. I promise not to rip you apart if you're nice about it.

You wouldn't be capable of ripping me apart. Don't kid yourself.

With all the ammo you're dropping, I am.

Had a guy come at me at the bar 2 weeks ago. Had the gun on target in a1/4 second. He'd have been on me if I had to rack a round.
All ended surprisingly well when he realized he didn't have the knife he thought he had.

You are insane! I am not willing to take that chance. If you are, I feel very sorry for you.

Again you didn't fire. A bullet in the chamber made no difference. How many people have you shot?

Don't feel sorry for me, I don't even need to carry and I am fine.
I've not had to shoot anyone, but I am willing and able to if have to.
I own a bar. I more or less need to have a firearm. There still are a few Liberals in Alabama.

Ok how many times have you shot at people? I'd probably carry too if I had a bar, I just don't think it matters if you have one in the chamber or not. How many times have you pulled it on somebody armed?

Me? One time. I was in a shootout with Moroccan bandits back in the late 1980's.

Brain, you knpw there are over 12.8 million people carrying guns for self defense.....and only 505 accidental gun deaths in 2013.....

She is in more danger getting into her car, or simply walking than she is carrying her gun......

I accidently (carelessly) had a knife slip and sliced my arm one time. It didn't make the news...

I think bullets go farther than knives. How many people die from accidental knife cuts?

Well....more people die from intentional knife cuts than they do gun accidents...gun accidents...505...knife deaths of the intentional kind over 1000.....

Americans use guns to stop or prevent violent crime 2 million times a year...

Accidental gun deaths 2013.....505.

Tell that to my dead uncle, a Cleveland county sheriff that had been working on a two shot derringer and put it in his shirt pocket, he dropped something and bent over to pick it up and the derringer fell out of his pocket, fired when it hit the ground and shot him between the eyes..

Why would he have a cocked derringer in his pocket?
Stupid is hereditary.
Derringers scare the crap out of me. Most are cheaply made and none have a trigger guard. My partner carries one when he's behind the bar, but never cocked.

I've never had any use for one. I've shot my share and found them to be highly inaccurate in distances further than ten feet.

I always figured if you want a pocket gun there are plenty of .380 and 9mm. semi autos out there that are plenty small. And you can actually hit with em.

I carry a Springfield XDS .45 with extended mag. with R.I.P. rounds. Deadly accurate!

I guess you haven't had trouble shooting the RIP rounds...any thoughts about killing a thun and going to court with them?

Criminal negligence.
Trigger locks.

Trigger locks are stupid....and the same people who accidentally shoot themselves won't use them anyway...then comes the next step....you make it a crime not to use them....then the next step...inspecting your guns if a cop makes a stop at your home...so you have now made criminals out of people who aren't criminals....and the real criminals still don't use gun locks....

Of course...that is the real goal...make it easier to arrest or fine people who want to own guns legally.....you can actually scare them, and you can scare anyone esle just thinking about owning a gun......

You really should spend more time trying to keep violent criminals in jail...that is the real issue with gun murders..they keep letting crimnals who use guns out....and don't arrest felons caught with guns....

And out of 320 million guns in private hands, in 90 million American homes.....

Only 505 accidental gun deaths...

No need for trigger locks......

I'm not a gun person, so I don't know. Could it be that something in the purse got caught in the trigger when the purse fell to fire the weapon? A small brush, a tube of lipstick, etc. If it were to end up against the trigger of an unsafed weapon and it was dropped, how likely it would cause the gun to fire?

That is probably it.......purse carry is not a good idea....always have a holster that covers the trigger, wether you carry a small gun in a purse or your pocket.

I'm not a gun person, so I don't know. Could it be that something in the purse got caught in the trigger when the purse fell to fire the weapon? A small brush, a tube of lipstick, etc. If it were to end up against the trigger of an unsafed weapon and it was dropped, how likely it would cause the gun to fire?
Could be, but if that happened, the gun would have fired down. Anything that pulled the trigger when the gun was pointed up would need to be very heavy and likely couldn't have fouled the trigger.A ricochet at a near 180 degree bounce wouldn't do much damage at all. On asphalt, probably none at all.

That would be a good myth buster segment...ricochets.....can they kill?

I think it's a mistake for everybody to pack heat all the time. And never ever chamber a round unless you're fixing to bust some caps.
I carry a Taurus PT 140 on safe with one chambered and 10 in the mag. It's 11:30 and I will head in to work in an hour. The gun will be there until I get home around 4 AM.

That's entirely up to you. There's no need to worry about safeties, or the gun going off inadverntly when the chambers empty. Just saying

Guns should be loaded to full capacity. In the heat of the moment most people will not remember to chamber a round or unlock a safety. In the time it takes to chamber a round, you could be shot dead. Unless you practice drawing and chambering where it's second nature, I advise not to have an empty chamber.

How often is anyone ever really quick drawing on someone? Gun people are always going on about how most the time the gun isn't even fired. If you don't have to shoot you dont need one in the chamber. Way more lives and injuries would be saved carrying without than are saved from drawing and shooting a little faster.

Silly brain..........and how do you if you will have to shoot or not....are you able to see the future...that is as clever as the guy who said he didn't put any ammo in his gun using your very reasoning.

Make sure you have the safety on hand gun common sense 101 sadly some people lack common sense.

Many guns lack safeties.
According to what you posted in the Op hers did and it was off.

Yes. Amazing though that many have a bullet in the chamber and no safety.
I can't think of many off the top of my head that don't have a safety I'm thinking they would have to be older model guns. Seems the firing or trigger mechanism would have to be pretty sensitive to go off from being dropped it's not impossible but I would say its rare.

I think most the smaller carry guns don't have safeties like glocks and ruger lcp for example.

Shields can have safties if you want one......

I think it's a mistake for everybody to pack heat all the time. And never ever chamber a round unless you're fixing to bust some caps.
I carry a Taurus PT 140 on safe with one chambered and 10 in the mag. It's 11:30 and I will head in to work in an hour. The gun will be there until I get home around 4 AM.

brain...really? You know the future now.....?

She shouldn't need a permit...I know criminals don't feel the need for one....

Guns ignore your bravado brain......

Brain, you knpw there are over 12.8 million people carrying guns for self defense.....and only 505 accidental gun deaths in 2013.....

She is in more danger getting into her car, or simply walking than she is carrying her gun......

17,000 people accidently shot. This woman clearly shouldnt be carrying.

Forum List

Back