An Alabama woman was imprisoned for ‘endangering’ her fetus. She gave birth in a jail shower

But over the next seven months of incarceration for “chemical endangerment” in the Etowah county detention center (ECDC), Caswell was denied regular access to prenatal visits, even as officials were aware her pregnancy was high-risk due to her hypertension and abnormal pap smears, according to a lawsuit filed on Friday against the county and the sheriff’s department. She was also denied her prescribed psychiatric medication and slept on a thin mat on the concrete floor of the detention center for her entire pregnancy.

It gets worse.

In October, when her water broke and she pleaded to be taken to a hospital, her lawyer says, officials told her to “sleep it off” and “wait until Monday” to deliver – two days away.

During nearly 12 hours of labor, staff gave her only Tylenol for her pain, the suit says, allegedly telling her to “stop screaming”, to “deal with the pain” and that she was “not in full labor”. Caswell lost amniotic fluid and blood and was alone and standing up in a jail shower when she ultimately delivered her child, according to the complaint and her medical records. She nearly bled to death, her lawyers say.

I just dont know what to say.Its asonishing that she is serving a 15 year sentence for what is an addiction problem.Its like society has written her off as a human..

When they pass these laws they should give some thought as to how these women are managed. If only for the sake of the baby.The taliban could not concoct such torture.

Pro lifers will agree with me I am sure.

Mother and baby are both alive. That's a happy ending (not for you, of course).

Addicts will often birth an addicted newborn, so being shut off in a jail might not have been best for mom, but maybe for child....~S~

Meanwhile mom is incarcerated and the baby is in the system

Personal responsibility would have prevented this

Forum List

Back