Sheriff rejects popcorn killer’s ‘stand your ground’ defense: ‘Why didn’t he move sea

To come up with the applicable law ?

let's see if that's applicable.
it is definitely NOT a stand your ground situation.

even if you are being attacked by popcorn at 71 that is NOT going to fly as the reason for stand your ground.

This will go as a manslaughter conviction.

I know it wouldn't be worth hearing--but what sort of explanation might this individual have for using deadly force because of tweeting?

I asked him to stop. He didn't.

I went to movie management. He didn't stop.

When I came back he started aggressively berating and intimidating me.

Then he came at me throwing something aggressively. It was dark I didn't know what he had.

In the dark and as 73 year old man, with health issues alone in the theatre I felt I was in danger of being injured by this irate individual who projected force at me. As a former law enforcement officer I have witnessed the effects of aggression toward the elderly and physical assaults.

I did what I needed to cease his aggression.

Last edited:
To come up with the applicable law ?

even if you are being attacked by popcorn at 71 that is NOT going to fly as the reason for stand your ground.

The focus is not the popcorn itself.

The focus is the deceased battered an elderly patron and did that elderly person believe he was facing great bodily injury.

If someone is going to start throwing things and verbally haranguing the elderly for such trivialness there may be a reasonable demonstrated fear of great bodily injury.

If you ask 100 seniors in the situation I would bet you get an overwhelming fear of great bodily injury. And it would be reasonable.

Everyone knows that legal guns can't be used in crimes.

If someone was shot with a legal gun, they must have deserved it, right?

The focus is not the popcorn itself.

The focus is the deceased battered an elderly patron and did that elderly person believe he was facing great bodily injury.

If someone is going to start throwing things and verbally haranguing the elderly for such trivialness there may be a reasonable demonstrated fear of great bodily injury.

If you ask 100 seniors in the situation I would bet you get an overwhelming fear of great bodily injury. And it would be reasonable.

Everyone knows that legal guns can't be used in crimes.

If someone was shot with a legal gun, they must have deserved it, right?

Legal guns can be used in crimes.

If someone was shot legally ,from a legal gun, they deserved it and it wouldn't be a crime.

I know it wouldn't be worth hearing--but what sort of explanation might this individual have for using deadly force because of tweeting?

Then he came at me throwing something aggressively. It was dark I didn't know what he had.

In the dark and as 73 year old man, with health issues alone in the theatre I felt I was in danger of being injured by this irate individual who projected force at me. As a former law enforcement officer I have witnessed the effects of aggression toward the elderly and physical assaults.

as a juror--that would not cut it for me.

sick of the news and maybe most of the people in the world.

~~~
anyone who needs a lol--

Rush Limbaugh thinks Bruce Springsteen was 'mean' to Chris Christie because of the Jimmy Fallon parody--the only thing I have lol'd about in a quite a while. ftr.

Voir Dire, Dear.

Assault by popcorn is no reason to draw and shoot.

What an idiot, a criminal idiot, who will now live in prison, never hold his family again, and die there.

Assault by popcorn is no reason to draw and shoot.

Assault being the operative word.

There was no question the deceased had the willingness to assault the elderly. He was also proven to disregard rules and the notification of movie authorities had no impact on him escalating his force.

Does that elderly individual have reason to fear great bodily harm in that instant ?

Florida law speaks specifically to the increased vulnerability of the elderly by enacting specialized legislation making any such assault a felony.

Voir Dire, Dear.

lol--cannot imagine what sort of jurors they will find. very cynical today. lol --a 'jury of his peers'--idiots?

Sorry folks, but OODA is correct.

As distasteful as it is, as much as we disagree with it, a good lawyer who argues and applies the law as it is written, if the jury follows their instructions, there's a good chance this guy walks...

The take away from this and Zimmerman is.

Don't put your hands on people unless you are defending yourself.

You may get ventilated.

Right or wrong. Free or imprisoned.

You are still dead.

Voir Dire, Dear.

lol--cannot imagine what sort of jurors they will find. very cynical today. lol --a 'jury of his peers'--idiots?

As a potential juror ma'am to what level do you think it acceptable to assault an elderly person ?

not gonna try to think about that today.

Physically fit enough to purchase a ticket to a movie--and he brought his gun--

not certain I am a 'reasonable' person--but sounds like he was able to defend himself.

really sick and tired of this week's news--Happy Birthday to Michelle, devil baby, outrage that the Butler didn't receive academy award nominations, films that were nominated not of interest to me and a toddler was making noise in a Panera --wearing 'squeaky shoes'--a patron became annoyed and now Panera is holding a fundraiser for the child's family--and so much more.

Sorry folks, but OODA is correct.

As distasteful as it is, as much as we disagree with it, a good lawyer who argues and applies the law as it is written, if the jury follows their instructions, there's a good chance this guy walks...

Florida.

glad it didn't happen in GA.

You may get ventilated.

You are still dead.

Actually, what I take from this is that gun nuts are willing to go so far into left field to defend guns at all costs that you guys are actually able to convince yourselves that a man truly deserved to be killed because he threw popcorn at another man.

Just like how Conservatism can't fail, but only be failed, legal guns can't be used to break laws - anyone shot must have deserved it.

You may get ventilated.

You are still dead.

Actually, what I take from this is that gun nuts are willing to go so far into left field to defend guns at all costs that you guys are actually able to convince yourselves that a man truly deserved to be killed because he threw popcorn at another man.

What I take from this is you can't put your emotional reckoning aside to deal with facts and law.

edit: The facts and law aren't on your side that it why you had to make it personal.

Last edited:

You may get ventilated.

You are still dead.

What I take from this is you can put your emotional reckoning aside to deal with facts and law.

You're not discussing "facts and law", you're simply parroting the defense's case.

Forum List

Back