Share a Thanksgiving recipe!

Today we're having a potluck..my dish is MAC & CHEESE!

Nom nom nom:

Classic Macaroni and Cheese Recipe - CHOW.com

Well thanks. That's not exactly a Thanksgiving recipe, but okay. :)

It is for some people. Mac & cheese and collard greens are traditional thanksgiving side dishes for one of my really good black friends. I don't know if it's a southern thing or a black thing, but she's the one who asked me to make it. She brought collard greens.

I made a cornbread stuffing one year too. It had fried sage leaves in it. It was pretty good. Maybe I'll try to hunt that one down later on. :)

My aunt used to make super spicy cornbread stuffing...

I mix up cornbread and regular stuffing MIXES and then add sauteed onion, celery and broth (homemade broth) to them. It's yummy.

I have also found that sourdough makes INCREDIBLE stuffing. I used some stale homemade sourdough to make a stuffing casserole last year...it was some of the best stuff I've ever made. Cubed sourdough, toasted a little and cubed....marjoram, salt, pepper, onions and celery and homemade chicken broth. It was to die for. I didn't have any sage, my mom always puts sage in too...but I didn't have any, and I discovered that it's the MARJORAM that actually makes it taste like stuffing. Who knew...

• Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (side dish)
  • Cook cabbage in boiling water only until leaves fall off head. Reserve 14-16 large leaves for rolls and set aside remaining cabbage.i
    • In a bowl, combine rice, beef, onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup soup. Put 2 to 3 tablespoons meat mixture on each cabbage leaf. Fold in sides, then roll up leaves to completely enclose meat.
    • Line a Dutch oven with leftover cabbage leaves. Combine remaining soup and water; pour over cabbage. Stack cabbage rolls on top of sauce. Cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer on low for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until rolls are tender.
    • Remove rolls and cabbage. If desired, sauce may be thickened by boiling over high heat. Spoon
    • sauce over rolls and cabbage and serve immediately.

guno you should put the whole recipe on there, with the amounts. I actually have a cabbage in my fridge..I might make these tonight. I had the recipe myself but the last time I moved I left all my cookbooks and recipes in the high cupboard above the stove like an idiot.

guno you should put the whole recipe on there, with the amounts. I actually have a cabbage in my fridge..I might make these tonight. I had the recipe myself but the last time I moved I left all my cookbooks and recipes in the high cupboard above the stove like an idiot.

I will do later

I meant this weekend, not tonight. I'm not cooking anything tonight, I had a root canal yesterday. There will be no cooking.

I made a cornbread stuffing one year too. It had fried sage leaves in it. It was pretty good. Maybe I'll try to hunt that one down later on. :)

My aunt used to make super spicy cornbread stuffing...

I mix up cornbread and regular stuffing MIXES and then add sauteed onion, celery and broth (homemade broth) to them. It's yummy.

I have also found that sourdough makes INCREDIBLE stuffing. I used some stale homemade sourdough to make a stuffing casserole last year...it was some of the best stuff I've ever made. Cubed sourdough, toasted a little and cubed....marjoram, salt, pepper, onions and celery and homemade chicken broth. It was to die for. I didn't have any sage, my mom always puts sage in too...but I didn't have any, and I discovered that it's the MARJORAM that actually makes it taste like stuffing. Who knew...

I never noticed that marjoram had much of a taste, kind of like parsley or cilantro to me. Personally, I like the way the sage makes stuffing taste. :)

I never noticed it either..until I wanted to make stuffing and didn't have any sage.

That's when I realized that it's the marjoram that makes it taste like stuffing.

Maybe your marjoram is old? I think it's quite flavorful. It's not quite as pungent as sage..but it's close. It's a type of oregano.

The reason I used it is I read the spice list on stove top stuffing to see what besides sage and onion and celery is in there.

Also, the celery gives it a lot of that stuffing flavor too.

I used to have an herb garden and I had fresh sage that I used all the time. It's much more flavorful when it's fresh. Also, the rubbed sage is very flavorful. I don't think I would skip that in my stuffing, but thanks for the tip! :)

Forum List

Back