Manna Sandwich

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
Monday Night...Schmicago on Apple TV and Hoagies. I'm thinking air-fryer french fries along with it...

manna-sandwich-1-841x1100.jpg

Ingredients​

• 1 cup mayonnaise
    • 1/2 cup Catalina or French dressing
    • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. ketchup
    • 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard, preferably Gulden’s
    • 2 tbsp. sugar
    • 1/2 cup diced onion
    • 1/4 cup soy sauce, preferably Kikkoman’s
    • 1 tbsp. dried parsley
    • 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
    • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    • 2 1/2 lb. ground chuck
    • 1/4 lb. Swiss cheese
    • 6 6-inch hoagie rolls

Preparation​

• Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
    • Dice the onion and add it to a skillet over high heat with ¼ cup of water and soy sauce. Add herbs and garlic powder and cook for 5 minutes, or until liquid is mostly reduced. Add beef and continue to simmer until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Drain off fat.
    • Split the rolls. Slather them with sauce, and put cheese on top. Place them under the broiler until cheese melts, 1-2 minutes. Heap ground beef on each sandwich and serve.

Recipe from Al and Houston Hodges of Hoody’s Hoagies in Claxton, Georgia

Special thanks to Brandon Chonko of Grassroots Farms in Reidsville for the tip.

Chef's Tip

This recipe makes more sauce than you’ll need for just one round of manna sandwiches. Luckily, it’s versatile. “I keep that special sauce on hand at all times,” Al Hodges says. He also uses the seasoned ground beef in everything from chili to spaghetti sauce, and he recommends making a big batch and freezing whatever doesn’t end up in a hoagie roll.

Looks tasty. I'm on Keto so I just made something very similar but without the bread. Big fan of spicy foods.

My constant Food of the Gods provider says she's gonna try it tonight. I say the restaurant no longer existing doesn't bode well. Then again, constantly being stuffed with Foods of the Gods (because, well, who could resist?) doesn't bode well for existing long either.

Got put off a few days, but I'm chewing on one now.. done strictly according to the recipe..

Verdict: God worthy!

That said, my wife had her fingers in it so YMMV bigly.

The wife says you can try it but nothing can really substitute for fresh cut onion. She also said she used sirloin burger instead of ground chuck so there'd be no need to drain off any fat.
I made it this evening. It's a very good sandwich. I used the Gouda instead of Swiss and added some diced bell peppers. Excellent.

Forum List

Back