shades of a 'handmaidens tale'

From the article:
GOP lawmakers were working on this proposal more than a month before Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine revealed Friday how Planned Parenthood clinics in Ohio, including one in Mount Auburn, use medical-waste companies to dispose of fetal tissue. The clinics in Cincinnati and Columbus use Marietta-based Accu Medical Waste Services to heat the fetal tissue in an autoclave to sanitize it before disposing of the remains in a Kentucky landfill.

The third Planned Parenthood clinic that performs abortions, located near Cleveland, uses Illinois-based Stericycle for medical waste even though their contract prohibits removing aborted fetuses.
Aborted Babies are classified as "Medical Waste" and disposed of illegally. At least according to the already signed contracts.

Sounds less like an "Abortion" issue and more like a "Who's gonna pay for this?" and "Why are they violating their own Contract?" issue.

That sounds like a line of bullshit to me. Just saying

yes it does...and we could extrapolate that she knew right from wrong from that.....but 20 years for hiding the body? is that not excessive and would that been the same for a mature body? lets find out....

i love the ot....dont you? dont you love the bible.....

i get the grace of jesus but that doesnt negate the law of god now does it?

and compost to be fair ...i am a pagan....i will beat you over the head with the bible at every chance i get....you cannot cherry pick the bible....or you should not
I didn't bring up the Bible. I addressed your point. US law. I did you the courtesy of sticking with that. Would you prefer I hit you over the head with your paganism? Would that make it FAIR, somehow?

it is called...tampering with evidence.....i see men getting 5 years for the crime....
Well now. You can celebrate that she wasn't punished for a miscarriage while complaining because she was punished for pretending the miscarried child was just so much trash. Yeah. If only she was a man. She'd only get five years. We've come full circle to women's body rights or something.

no this is about the slippery slope of abortion rights.....have you read the book i referenced? the book is terrible but it may be foreshadowing....

horrible book.....did she write anything else..

i just do not think we have all the medically technology to determine in all cases whether it is an induced abortion or a miscarriage...and then what is lifestyle comes into question and no i am not talking drugs etc but what about a women who exercises hard....etc and so forth......call me paranoid i just do not like the road we as a country are going down

horrible book.....did she write anything else..

i just do not think we have all the medically technology to determine in all cases whether it is an induced abortion or a miscarriage...and then what is lifestyle comes into question and no i am not talking drugs etc but what about a women who exercises hard....etc and so forth......call me paranoid i just do not like the road we as a country are going down
She wrote many other things....
OK. I'll call you paranoid. Did you worry after you read The Stepford Wives too?

now you have my pity..that book sucked.....i read it cause parts of the movie were filmed where i use to work.....the movie sucked and this was one time the book sucked worse....nay the stepford wives was just weird enough to not worry about

now you have my pity..that book sucked.....i read it cause parts of the movie were filmed where i use to work.....the movie sucked and this was one time the book sucked worse....nay the stepford wives was just weird enough to not worry about
All righty then. You obviously have no sense of humor. Oh well. I tried.

I won't insult YOU with MY pity. Now. Your pointless reference to where you once worked sums up the fact that this discussion has run away into irrelevance.

hmmm its my sense of humor? okay....you do realize i pitied you due to having to read that book.....and i reference where i worked due to having a little better taste in books than that one....

but you have opted to end the discussion and dismiss me as having no sense of humor....

hmmm its my sense of humor? okay....you do realize i pitied you due to having to read that book.....and i reference where i worked due to having a little better taste in books than that one....

but you have opted to end the discussion and dismiss me as having no sense of humor....
If you pitied me for all the books I've read... well, just wow.

Anyhow. You said, call you paranoid. I wondered if Stepford Wives made you paranoid. That's all. As for books sucking- we were discussing content, not literary worth. Or so I thought. I still think you have no sense of humor- at least not of the kind that is enjoyable to chat with.

no this is about the slippery slope of abortion rights.....have you read the book i referenced? the book is terrible but it may be foreshadowing....

it doesn't take a genius to be so willing to hand over such power to your government.

emotional pandering is just SO emotional, and it doesn't take a genius to be an elected politician either.

but good thing our balance of power requires oversight of legal scholars who actually know how to think. :thup:

2015 took it to the next level.

It was a year of 57 new restrictions on the procedure in the states, according to the Guttmacher Institute’s Elizabeth Nash, and in which we learned the Supreme Court will finally take on one of the hundreds of recent restrictions. This was the year of the release of hundreds of hours of secretly-recorded tapes, used to accuse Planned Parenthood of trafficking in fetal parts, and of over a dozen official investigations that so far have yielded not a single criminal charge.

2015 saw Robert Lewis Dear storm a Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs, killing three people and saying it was because he is a “warrior for the babies.”

2015 also marked the intensification of anti-abortion promises among Republican hopefuls, who vied to offer primary voters the fiercest opposition to abortion – down to denying that a woman ever needs one to save her life.

As pitched a battle as 2015 was, much of this merely sets up the real reckoning to come: Supreme Court opinions are expected in June that tackle both abortion and contraception, and in November, an election in which the next president could appoint as many as three Supreme Court justices. Get ready.

The year's biggest battles over abortion rights

pap_blog_banner.png

Parents Against Personhood -

Roe v. Wade (1973) ruled unconstitutional a state law that banned abortions except to save the life of the mother. The Court ruled that the states were forbidden from outlawing or regulating any aspect of abortion performed during the first trimester of pregnancy, could only enact abortion regulations reasonably related to maternal health in the second and third trimesters, and could enact abortion laws protecting the life of the fetus only in the third trimester. Even then, an exception had to be made to protect the life of the mother.

The Supreme Court . Expanding Civil Rights . Landmark Cases . Roe v. Wade (1973) | PBS

...the Court reaffirmed its commitment to Roe and to the basic right of a woman to have an abortion under certain circumstances.

...a woman continues to have a right to an abortion before the fetus is viable (before the fetus could live independently outside of the mother’s womb). The Court held that states cannot prohibit abortion prior to viability.

The Casey Case: Roe Revisited? | www.streetlaw.org

EARLY MEDICATION ABORTION

• In September 2000, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved mifepristone to be marketed in the United States as an alternative to surgical abortion.

• In 2011, 59% of abortion providers, or 1,023 facilities, provided one or more early medication abortions. At least 17% of providers offer only early medication abortion services.[2]

• Medication abortion accounted for 23% of all nonhospital abortions and 36% of abortions before nine weeks’ gestation, in 2011.[2]

• Early medication abortions have increased from 6% of all abortions in 2001 to 23% in 2011, even while the overall number of abortions continued to decline. Data from the CDC show abortions shifting earlier within the first trimester, likely due, in part, to the availability of medication abortion services. [2]

SAFETY OF ABORTION

A first-trimester abortion is one of the safest medical procedures, with minimal risk—less than 0.05%—of major complications that might need hospital care.[9]

Abortions performed in the first trimester pose virtually no long-term risk of such problems as infertility, ectopic pregnancy, spontaneous abortion (miscarriage) or birth defect, and little or no risk of preterm or low-birth-weight deliveries.[10]

• Exhaustive reviews by panels convened by the U.S. and British governments have concluded that there is no association between abortion and breast cancer. There is also no indication that abortion is a risk factor for other cancers.[10]

• Leading experts have concluded that, among women who have an unplanned pregnancy, the risk of mental health problems is no greater if they have a single first-trimester abortion than if they carry the pregnancy to term. [11]

• The risk of death associated with abortion increases with the length of pregnancy, from one death for every one million abortions at or before eight weeks to one per 29,000 at 16–20 weeks—and one per 11,000 at 21 weeks or later.[12]

• Fifty-eight percent of abortion patients say they would have liked to have had their abortion earlier. Nearly 60% of women who experienced a delay in obtaining an abortion cite the time it took to make arrangements and raise money.[13]

• Teens are more likely than older women to delay having an abortion until after 15 weeks of pregnancy, when the medical risks associated with abortion are significantly higher.[13]

LAW AND POLICY

• In the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, the Supreme Court ruled that women, in consultation with their physician, have a constitutionally protected right to have an abortion in the early stages of pregnancy—that is, before viability—free from government interference.

• In 1992, the Court reaffirmed the right to abortion in Planned Parenthood v. Casey. However, the ruling significantly weakened the legal protections previously afforded women and physicians by giving states the right to enact restrictions that do not create an “undue burden” for women seeking abortion.

• Congress has barred the use of federal Medicaid funds to pay for abortions, except when the woman’s life would be endangered or in cases of rape or incest.

• As of January 1, 2014, at least half of the states have imposed excessive and unnecessary regulations on abortion clinics, mandated counseling designed to dissuade a woman from obtaining an abortion, required a waiting period before an abortion, required parental involvement before a minor obtains an abortion, or prohibited the use of state Medicaid funds to pay for medically necessary abortions. [14, 15, 16, 17]

In 2000, 13 states had at least four types of major abortion restrictions and so were considered hostile to abortion rights; [18] 27 states fell into this category by 2013. [19] The proportion of women living in restrictive states went from 31% to 56% during this time period.

• In contrast, the number of states supportive of abortion rights fell from 17 to 13. The proportion of women of reproductive age living in supportive states fell from 40% to 31% between 2000 and 2013. [19]

http://www.guttmacher.org/graphics/WhenWomenHaveAbortions-Graph.png

WhenWomenHaveAbortions-Graph.png

Forum List

Back