Zone1 Self Checkout Is A Failed Experiment

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
When self-checkout kiosks began to pop up in American grocery stores, the sales pitch to shoppers was impressive: Scan your stuff, plunk it in a bag, and you’re done. Long checkout lines would disappear. Waits would dwindle. Small talk with cashiers would be a thing of the past. Need help? Store associates, freed from the drudgery of scanning barcodes, would be close at hand

You know how this process actually goes by now: You still have to wait in line. The checkout kiosks bleat and flash when you fail to set a purchase down in the right spot. Scanning those items is sometimes a crapshoot—wave a barcode too vigorously in front of an uncooperative machine, and suddenly you’ve scanned it two or three times. Then you need to locate the usually lone employee charged with supervising all of the finicky kiosks, who will radiate exasperation at you while scanning her ID badge and tapping the kiosk’s touch screen from pure muscle memory. If you want to buy something that even might carry some kind of arbitrary purchase restriction—not just obvious things such as alcohol, but also products as seemingly innocuous as a generic antihistamine—well, maybe don’t do that.

All is not rosy in the world of self-checkout, and some companies seem to realize it. Walmart has removed the kiosks entirelyfrom a handful of stores, and is redesigning others to involve more employee help. Costco is stationing more staffers in its self-checkout areas. ShopRite is adding cashiers back into stores where it had trialed a self-checkout-only model, citing customer backlash. None of this is an indication that self-checkout is over, exactly. But several decades in, the kiosks as Americans have long known them are beginning to look like a failure.

I seem to remember the discussions here about how those cashiers asking for raises, would be a thing of the past. Between disgruntled customers, and rising retail theft, is it safe to say the host of the article is correct?

When self-checkout kiosks began to pop up in American grocery stores, the sales pitch to shoppers was impressive: Scan your stuff, plunk it in a bag, and you’re done. Long checkout lines would disappear. Waits would dwindle. Small talk with cashiers would be a thing of the past. Need help? Store associates, freed from the drudgery of scanning barcodes, would be close at hand

You know how this process actually goes by now: You still have to wait in line. The checkout kiosks bleat and flash when you fail to set a purchase down in the right spot. Scanning those items is sometimes a crapshoot—wave a barcode too vigorously in front of an uncooperative machine, and suddenly you’ve scanned it two or three times. Then you need to locate the usually lone employee charged with supervising all of the finicky kiosks, who will radiate exasperation at you while scanning her ID badge and tapping the kiosk’s touch screen from pure muscle memory. If you want to buy something that even might carry some kind of arbitrary purchase restriction—not just obvious things such as alcohol, but also products as seemingly innocuous as a generic antihistamine—well, maybe don’t do that.

All is not rosy in the world of self-checkout, and some companies seem to realize it. Walmart has removed the kiosks entirelyfrom a handful of stores, and is redesigning others to involve more employee help. Costco is stationing more staffers in its self-checkout areas. ShopRite is adding cashiers back into stores where it had trialed a self-checkout-only model, citing customer backlash. None of this is an indication that self-checkout is over, exactly. But several decades in, the kiosks as Americans have long known them are beginning to look like a failure.

I seem to remember the discussions here about how those cashiers asking for raises, would be a thing of the past. Between disgruntled customers, and rising retail theft, is it safe to say the host of the article is correct?

Most of the problem people have with self check are operator error.

Also, most stores around here have made their scales far less specific and there are less problems with items not being recognized as being bagged

I'm sorry you live in a blue shithole.

Actually, I'm not sorry, you deserve it.

Nope. The technology keeps getting better. Fewer and fewer cashiers in the stores where I live.

I look for stores where real live people check you out. Especially as I buy a LOT of produce and you have to look up the stuff on the menu, aren't sure if you found the right one. . .or the alternative is for the store to bag batches of whatever so that there is a barcode on the bag and you get it home and a lot of the fruit or whatever is bruised or old or otherwise not at all what you would have picked out for yourself.

Not to mention that almost invariably one or more machines is out of order. And like you said, if there is an error it takes forever to get it fixed. And like you said, except in a few cases maybe when you have three or four quickly scannable items, it is rarely any faster. Just more stressful.

Thanks for a good vent thread!

Foxy lady Poster above is correct. Produce is the most difficult. But Bar codes are now added to many of those items. You should know the name of the produce you bought "Chayote" for instance. If not BarCoded you can search.....type in CHA....and bingo it pops up. The bar code can even be read thru a plastic bag or package.

I was born in self checkout. I live at self-checkout. If I have a big full cart (rarely) I will use the Cashier, if line is not too long. If I buy stuff like Ice Cream or other cold....I get it on separate quick in/out runs to the store. I don't stand around in lines (and the sun) heating my milk!

One of many reasons to shop online.

They are here to stay. Its like the NFL and MLB. The owners are making money; they don’t care so much about player injuries, fan experiences, social responsibility, etc... Fewer employees means more profit.

Forum List

Back