Zone1 Self Checkout Is A Failed Experiment

Less and less human face to face contact with other humans. Ear buds cell phones. Even young people hang out together less & communicate by cell phone even while standing together.
Addiction to screenal space is what happens when the capitalist gestapo takes away telephone booths to lastingly reinforce scopophilia.
Scopophilia

This whole thing about self-checkout reminds me of similar brouhahas about scanners when they first came in.

I was a devout member of the UFCW when those machines were going online, and fighting the scanners was their great crusade. They felt that not putting the price on every can of beans and every roll of TP would cost jobs, and scanning technology was going to kill jobs.

I like self checkout. I walk up, scan, pay and leave.

Guess might be different if I was buying a whole grocery cart of stuff to be scanned and bagged, but hell I can't afford that. I hadn't had a full cart of food since I went to the grocery wth grandma when I was a kid.

If the machine messes up there is also someone there that comes over and fixes it.

Having both is the best options. Normal lanes for older people or someone with a big cart of food. Self checkout for people that don't have a lot and can easily do it.

The stores have more than enough staff hanging around the self-checkouts that they should just put them back on registers. It's stupid, and correcting the machine errors takes a more time than with a cashier. Aldi's has check outs down to a science; long line there mean nothing, at let before they started taking plastic from halfwits.

All is not rosy in the world of self-checkout, and some companies seem to realize it. Walmart has removed the kiosks entirelyfrom a handful of stores, and is redesigning others to involve more employee help. Costco is stationing more staffers in its self-checkout areas. ShopRite is adding cashiers back into stores where it had trialed a self-checkout-only model, citing customer backlash
From your lips to God's ears.

I refuse to give my money to any business that expects me to do their job without pay .

From your lips to God's ears.

I refuse to give my money to any business that expects me to do their job without pay .

They don't even give discounts for using the kiosk things, plus the cash customers don't get discounts for using cash, so they pay the same prices as the plastic users. They should at least knock 3%-5% off for cash payments. I'm not poor, so I don't need plastic for anything.

When self-checkout kiosks began to pop up in American grocery stores, the sales pitch to shoppers was impressive: Scan your stuff, plunk it in a bag, and you’re done. Long checkout lines would disappear. Waits would dwindle. Small talk with cashiers would be a thing of the past. Need help? Store associates, freed from the drudgery of scanning barcodes, would be close at hand

You know how this process actually goes by now: You still have to wait in line. The checkout kiosks bleat and flash when you fail to set a purchase down in the right spot. Scanning those items is sometimes a crapshoot—wave a barcode too vigorously in front of an uncooperative machine, and suddenly you’ve scanned it two or three times. Then you need to locate the usually lone employee charged with supervising all of the finicky kiosks, who will radiate exasperation at you while scanning her ID badge and tapping the kiosk’s touch screen from pure muscle memory. If you want to buy something that even might carry some kind of arbitrary purchase restriction—not just obvious things such as alcohol, but also products as seemingly innocuous as a generic antihistamine—well, maybe don’t do that.

All is not rosy in the world of self-checkout, and some companies seem to realize it. Walmart has removed the kiosks entirelyfrom a handful of stores, and is redesigning others to involve more employee help. Costco is stationing more staffers in its self-checkout areas. ShopRite is adding cashiers back into stores where it had trialed a self-checkout-only model, citing customer backlash. None of this is an indication that self-checkout is over, exactly. But several decades in, the kiosks as Americans have long known them are beginning to look like a failure.

I seem to remember the discussions here about how those cashiers asking for raises, would be a thing of the past. Between disgruntled customers, and rising retail theft, is it safe to say the host of the article is correct?

When you see the mobs of “youths” going into stores and cleaning them out, without paying, is that just an advanced form of self-check out that democrats created?

I only use Self-Checkout if I'm in a hurry and I am only picking up one or two things. This is a rare occasion, because usually I shop once a week and I have an entire checkout list of things I want to buy.

My local Jewel Osco keeps trying to make self-checkout work and it keeps failing. They take out the old machines and put in new ones every couple of years because they are looking too much money with people checking out the wrong thing or not scanning stuff.

I only use Self-Checkout if I'm in a hurry and I am only picking up one or two things. This is a rare occasion, because usually I shop once a week and I have an entire checkout list of things I want to buy.

My local Jewel Osco keeps trying to make self-checkout work and it keeps failing. They take out the old machines and put in new ones every couple of years because they are looking too much money with people checking out the wrong thing or not scanning stuff.
If only Hi-Lo was still around. Oops, they would be trying to save money the same exact way.

When self-checkout kiosks began to pop up in American grocery stores, the sales pitch to shoppers was impressive: Scan your stuff, plunk it in a bag, and you’re done. Long checkout lines would disappear. Waits would dwindle. Small talk with cashiers would be a thing of the past. Need help? Store associates, freed from the drudgery of scanning barcodes, would be close at hand
I don't have strong feelings one way or another about self checkout. Too each his own.
You know how this process actually goes by now: You still have to wait in line.
This is a good point. I don't know if I saw all those promises, but if not standing in line was one of them, they were lying.

The stores are well aware of how much line-standing shoppers will tolerate before trying another store, and they staff accordingly.

Of course, these days you can't really fault the stores for staffing issues. Post-COVID, the work ethic is dwindling fast, with potential employees looking for government "work-at-home" jobs, not jobs where they are on their feet dealing with customers.

Nope, that's the result of 400 years of oppressive policies.

That is bullshit.........but keep selling it to biden voters, they buy it and don't seem to care you are killing their children.

Sounds like the same flat-earth people who said ATMs will kill the bank jobs for tellers. 50 years later they have gone silent.

Someone has to design the ATM, build it, order parts, qualify it, test it, sell it, ship it, maintain it, program it, clean it, stock it etc.
We don't want the jobs installing a philips screw into a dash 8 hours a day. Create the good high-paying jobs. We don't need someone to run a bar code over a laser beam for us. You pulled it off the shelf...you are halfway done.

It is call technilogical progress.

Soon this will be a non-issue. All stores will have to go "on-line" ordering and pickup or delivery service. With the flash-mobs the DEMS are sending to bankrupt all stores they cannot afford to continue as-is. How is inner city mom with 7 babies and no husband going to get formula, diapers, milk and eggs? All of her stores are moved way out now and soon will be gone.

Sounds like the same flat-earth people who said ATMs will kill the bank jobs for tellers. 50 years later they have gone silent.

Someone has to design the ATM, build it, order parts, qualify it, test it, sell it, ship it, maintain it, program it, clean it, stock it etc.
We don't want the jobs installing a philips screw into a dash 8 hours a day. Create the good high-paying jobs. We don't need someone to run a bar code over a laser beam for us. You pulled it off the shelf...you are halfway done.

It is call technilogical progress.

An ATM is convienent. Self-Checkout really isn't.

Self-checkout you have to scan and bag your own groceries, and it's not like you get any discount for doing so.

Soon this will be a non-issue. All stores will have to go "on-line" ordering and pickup or delivery service. With the flash-mobs the DEMS are sending to bankrupt all stores they cannot afford to continue as-is. How is inner city mom with 7 babies and no husband going to get formula, diapers, milk and eggs? All of her stores are moved way out now and soon will be gone.
It's adorable when you pretend you care about poor people.

Forum List

Back