Seeing Climate Change Firsthand

Hawk -

Your point is that climate and landscapes change over time on planet Earth?

No, don't be ridiculous - the point is that the sea level is rising, due to climate change.

This is evidence that you can go and see with your own eyes, should you wish to.

Hawk -

No, don't be ridiculous - the point is that the sea level is rising, due to climate change.

This is evidence that you can go and see with your own eyes, should you wish to.

Yea jackass I've been back to the beach where I grew up near, in Southern California, and the water isn't any higher than it was 25 years ago.

I guess it's never occurred to you that these places you are so worried about might be going through subsidence, the sinking of land, than sea levels rising at alarming rates.

Then again science really isn't a strong suit of progressives.

<link>When I spoke to Dr Mörner last week,

Dr. Morner is a dowser. You know, a guy who thinks he can detect water with a forked stick.

That's the type of crank that Frank and the denialists put their faith in. And "faith" is the right word, being that crazyFrank is a loony member of a retard religious cult. One that thinks dowsers are scientific authorities.

Oh, I'm aware that Dr. Morner refers to himself as the greatest sea level expert evah. And the rest of the world busts a gut when he says that. I especially like Dr. Morner's claim about how those evil warmers chopped down a bush because they were so enraged that the bush disproved sea level rise. That's his level of "science".

<link>When I spoke to Dr Mörner last week,

Dr. Morner is a dowser. You know, a guy who thinks he can detect water with a forked stick.

That's the type of crank that Frank and the denialists put their faith in. And "faith" is the right word, being that crazyFrank is a loony member of a retard religious cult. One that thinks dowsers are scientific authorities.

Oh, I'm aware that Dr. Morner refers to himself as the greatest sea level expert evah. And the rest of the world busts a gut when he says that. I especially like Dr. Morner's claim about how those evil warmers chopped down a bush because they were so enraged that the bush disproved sea level rise. That's his level of "science".

Unlike the AGWCult, it's not a matter of "Faith"

You have no science on your side, none

I live in Jacksonville Florida and boardwalk is still over 200 yards from the surf, just like it was 10 years ago. Is sea level rising only in Senegal?

Not at all - you are simply not up to speed.

Here is the report from Mayport:

Mayport, Florida

The mean sea level trend is 2.40 mm/year with a 95% confidence interval of +/- 0.31 mm/year based on monthly mean sea level data from 1928 to 2006 which is equivalent to a change of 0.79 feet in 100 years.

hpbm.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Sea Level Trends

So it's not actually "just as it was 10 years ago" is it?

The rate of increases varies from place to place, depending on local conditions. Obviously. Where you live the rate of increase is moderate, but obviously it is greater elsewhere. In Louisiana it is almot 10 mm per year. Check the link.

Sea level increase varies from place to place? Strange, I thought water in a container was at the same height everywhere in the container. How does sea level increase faster in one part of the ocean than in another part?

Also, 2.4 mm per year means it will take more than 300 years to increase three feet. I doubt that will scare anyone away from buying beach front property.

How does sea level increase faster in one part of the ocean than in another part?

The earth isn't a bucket. Tides slosh back and forth over irregular surfaces.

Even gravity changes in certain areas. Ice melts off Greenland, the Greenland area loses mass, the local gravity pull around Greenland declines just a bit, so there's a relatively lower sea level there. And higher elsewhere, as the water goes somewhere. Elsewhere, isostatic rebound or sinking may be changing the local gravity field.

How does sea level increase faster in one part of the ocean than in another part?

The earth isn't a bucket. Tides slosh back and forth over irregular surfaces..

If the tides slosh back and forth, then at some point the tides in Senegal should slosh back to where they came from.

Even gravity changes in certain areas. Ice melts off Greenland, the Greenland area loses mass, the local gravity pull around Greenland declines just a bit, so there's a relatively lower sea level there. And higher elsewhere, as the water goes somewhere. Elsewhere, isostatic rebound or sinking may be changing the local gravity field.

What would cause gravity to change in Senegal? They don't have any melting glaciers there. If the land in Senegal is sinking, then rising sea level isn't the cause of the flooding.

The bottom line is that a sea level rise of less than one foot per century is nothing to be afraid of.

Ever watch Deadliest Catch? Past two season the ice pack in the Bearing Sea has been larger than it has been for the past 20 years......

I live in Jacksonville Florida and boardwalk is still over 200 yards from the surf, just like it was 10 years ago. Is sea level rising only in Senegal?

Of course, Jacksonville would NEVER plan to build their boardwalk away from the surf. :doubt:

Not at all - you are simply not up to speed.

Here is the report from Mayport:

Mayport, Florida

The mean sea level trend is 2.40 mm/year with a 95% confidence interval of +/- 0.31 mm/year based on monthly mean sea level data from 1928 to 2006 which is equivalent to a change of 0.79 feet in 100 years.

hpbm.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Sea Level Trends

So it's not actually "just as it was 10 years ago" is it?

The rate of increases varies from place to place, depending on local conditions. Obviously. Where you live the rate of increase is moderate, but obviously it is greater elsewhere. In Louisiana it is almot 10 mm per year. Check the link.

Sea level increase varies from place to place? Strange, I thought water in a container was at the same height everywhere in the container. How does sea level increase faster in one part of the ocean than in another part?

Also, 2.4 mm per year means it will take more than 300 years to increase three feet. I doubt that will scare anyone away from buying beach front property.

I think the earth, in collaboration with the rest of the universe is doing exactly what it wants to do.

Who are you to say it shouldn't?

Hawk -

Yea jackass I've been back to the beach where I grew up near, in Southern California, and the water isn't any higher than it was 25 years ago.

I guess it's never occurred to you that these places you are so worried about might be going through subsidence, the sinking of land, than sea levels rising at alarming rates.

It's absolutely amazing that people think that during a family day at the beach they are going to notice sea levels risisng.

Check the link, and you will find that the beach you went to is slowly, gradually rising. It's not by much, but over the next 20 - 30 years....it might be that changes are significant.

Yes, Hawk, land does subside - and that is being measured too.

If the land in Senegal is sinking, then rising sea level isn't the cause of the flooding.

The bottom line is that a sea level rise of less than one foot per century is nothing to be afraid of.

Because sea levels CANNOT be rising, right?

What a silly little child you are, really....it's breath taking.

Do you honestly not think scientists like the NOAA can measure the difference between lands subsiding and water rising?

And no, maybe it i no big deal where you live....but elsewhere it is a very big deal indeed. In some placeswater levels have risen 10 cm in the past decade...that is significant.

How long can you keep up this charade of NOT seeing?

Last edited:

Because of rain, wind and the impact of things like La Nina. Things that are happening in one region, but not in another, like rain.

It is a slightly odd concept, I agree. I thought the same thing when I first heard it.

Because of rain, wind and the impact of things like La Nina. Things that are happening in one region, but not in another, like rain.

It is a slightly odd concept, I agree. I thought the same thing when I first heard it.

So its not global?

In Senegal recently I spent a day ptohographing a pelican breeding area for a story I was writing on birdwatching.

For centuries pelicans have returned to a gigantic stretch of land facing the Atlantic ocean on one side, and a lagoon on the other. The area is called Lange De Berberie, or the Tongue of the Berbers.

Except that rising sea levels are eroding the land, and forcing the pelicans elsewhere.

Travelling by boat, we stopped at a small island. Houses stood abandoned and crumbling. Pine trees poked out of the waves. Footpaths veered into the sand.

The previous year, the village had been abandoned entirely, and the familes resettled further south and inland. In all, perhaps a mile of coastland has simply disappeared.

The entire city of St Louis, the oldest French city in Africa, is under threat. Nowhere more than 2 or 3 metres above sea level, waves are already reaching the houses during storms or on spring tides.

Although the rise in sea levels is very slow, it is also constant. The land is very low and sandy, and the waves very powerful along this stretch of coast.

The bigger picture is that St Louis is one city in a very vulnerable area. But almost every major city in Africa is located on the coast. Accra, Dakar, Cape Town, Alexandria and Tunis are all vulnerable too, protected only by dunes and the occasional headland or outcrops of rocks.

Here are a couple of pics...

dl87.jpg
[/URL] [/IMG]

Yes, I was correct. This is the fault of incompetent government leaders and their "experts". The area was protected by the large sand bar called the Langue de Barbarie and after some storms the typical floods were building (as they have done for centuries) so they got the bright idea of cutting a canal 100 meters long by 4 meters wide to drain the excess.

As anyone with a brain knows, sand doesn't hold together well and now 10 years later, that canal has been blown open to a 2 kilometer wide breach in the sand bar.

Climate change as the cause? No. Idiot experts? Yes...in spades...

Last edited:
Hawk -

It's absolutely amazing that people think that during a family day at the beach they are going to notice sea levels risisng.

Check the link, and you will find that the beach you went to is slowly, gradually rising. It's not by much, but over the next 20 - 30 years....it might be that changes are significant.

Yes, Hawk, land does subside - and that is being measured too.

They haven't risin with any significance is the point. So stop your stupid fear-mongering that the oceans are going to swell up and destroy all coastal cities. Are we supposed to feel sorry for people that built their shit right at sea level? Well I don't, its the risk you take when you want to live or build property thats just a few inches above sea level right on a coast line.

Forum List

Back