SCOTUS deals blow to Republican gerrymandering!

berg80

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2017
The Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected Alabama’s stay request, the first sign that it will not be blithely compliant with state officials’ attempts to undo the high Court’s June ruling knocking down its maps.

There were no public dissents, nor any additional explanation beyond the one-sentence stay denial.

In its June ruling, the 5-4 majority — with Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh joining the liberals — ordered that Alabama redraw its maps with an additional Black majority district (or “something quite close to it,” Roberts wrote).

Instead, the Alabama legislators produced another map with only one Black majority district and defiantly submitted it to a panel of federal judges. The panel nixed that map too, asserting that it was “troubled” by the “extraordinary circumstance” of the legislators totally disregarding the court’s instruction.

The Repub legislators continue to refuse to draw fair maps. Following Trump's motto, "if you can't win a fair fight, cheat."

The Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected Alabama’s stay request, the first sign that it will not be blithely compliant with state officials’ attempts to undo the high Court’s June ruling knocking down its maps.

There were no public dissents, nor any additional explanation beyond the one-sentence stay denial.

In its June ruling, the 5-4 majority — with Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh joining the liberals — ordered that Alabama redraw its maps with an additional Black majority district (or “something quite close to it,” Roberts wrote).

Instead, the Alabama legislators produced another map with only one Black majority district and defiantly submitted it to a panel of federal judges. The panel nixed that map too, asserting that it was “troubled” by the “extraordinary circumstance” of the legislators totally disregarding the court’s instruction.

The Repub legislators continue to refuse to draw fair maps. Following Trump's motto, "if you can't win a fair fight, cheat."
Thank you, I was going to start a thread so I could ask a question. I don't spend a lot of time following civil rights voting cases, but I was surprised at the Sup Ct decision. I realize the Ala gop drew the map to have only one black (dem) rep, among 6 white gop reps, despite the state being 25% african american, but I was suprised it bothered five of the "justices." I don't understand what actually motivated them to block obvious partisan and racial disparities?

It's really something when your efforts to disenfranchise black voters troubles a Republican dominated Supreme Court that itself struck down provisions of the Voting Rights Act.

You've gone full racist Alabama GOP. You have to pull back a smidge. 😄

Thank you, I was going to start a thread so I could ask a question. I don't spend a lot of time following civil rights voting cases, but I was surprised at the Sup Ct decision. I realize the Ala gop drew the map to have only one black (dem) rep, among 6 white gop reps, despite the state being 25% african american, but I was suprised it bothered five of the "justices." I don't understand what actually motivated them to block obvious partisan and racial disparities?
So Alabama officials turned to the stay request. They rested their ask on eyebrow-raising rationale, including that the court would have had to start the entire Voting Rights Act assessment and evidentiary hearing from the beginning because the legislature produced a new (still noncompliant) map. The officials also wrote that they simply disagreed with the lower court’s ruling — so there.

“We consumed more than 200 pages trying to consider every argument the Secretary made about the 2023 Plan, and the Secretary has not pointed us to a single specific error or omission,” the panel of judges responded earlier this month. “If it were enough for a stay applicant merely to assert a ‘fundamental disagreement’ with an injunction, stay motions would be routinely (perhaps invariably) granted. That is not the rule.”

The officials then elevated the stay request to the Supreme Court, where Justice Clarence Thomas set a response deadline early last week.

It's really something when your efforts to disenfranchise black voters troubles a Republican dominated Supreme Court that itself struck down provisions of the Voting Rights Act.

I'm surprised they took the case since they had previously ruled the Court does not have jurisdiction over cases involving gerrymandering.

So Alabama officials turned to the stay request. They rested their ask on eyebrow-raising rationale, including that the court would have had to start the entire Voting Rights Act assessment and evidentiary hearing from the beginning because the legislature produced a new (still noncompliant) map. The officials also wrote that they simply disagreed with the lower court’s ruling — so there.

“We consumed more than 200 pages trying to consider every argument the Secretary made about the 2023 Plan, and the Secretary has not pointed us to a single specific error or omission,” the panel of judges responded earlier this month. “If it were enough for a stay applicant merely to assert a ‘fundamental disagreement’ with an injunction, stay motions would be routinely (perhaps invariably) granted. That is not the rule.”

The officials then elevated the stay request to the Supreme Court, where Justice Clarence Thomas set a response deadline early last week.
That's really my question. I should have read the Scotus blog when the Sup Ct issued it's 5-4 decision. I don't see why they did that, since gerrymandering is "a state right" or something that supposedly makes it non-justiciable.

I was not surprised they gave Ala's recent filing in the SC "a cold shoulder," in which Ala essentially asked Keggers to flip his vote.

MSN

ITS ONLY WRONG WHEN YOOUUUUUUU DOOOOO IITTTTTT

Just wait until more blacks start abandoning the dems over the whole SJW Trans thing. Then all of a sudden only white hipsters who've cut off their twig and berries will count.

This is an absolute disgrace.and hugely embarressing for the good folks in Alabama. These commie judges need to learn about how America gained greatness as the Land of the Free,

Alabama should be free to decide its own politics

This is just a victory for China.

Crying about trans people is more a white snowflake thing.

Not voting for Dems anymore may turn into a Conservative Black and Latino thing because of it.

Foisting Trans shit on us is definitely a white thing, usually useless white SJW women and the soi "bois" that want them or want to be them.

The racists were somewhat in check for a while.

Then the white nationalist president came along in 2016 and emboldened them.

So whatchya'll gonna do when all them Alabama black folk vote for Trump in 2024, huh? :p

Call 'em stupid poopy heads?

Democrats started the gerrymandering in Alabama.

"After two elections for governors in which the populists did surprisingly well, coming within striking distance of winning, the flaming racist Democrats (that was the party of racists then) called a constitutional convention in 1901 with the express purpose of using the threat of the black vote — “Negro domination” was a phrase used — to make sure that the populists never had a chance again."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back