Schools now banning parents from giving their kids home-made lunches to take to school

One time my mom asked me if I wanted a peanut butter or a balogna sammich to take to school for lunch...

... I couldn't decide, so I said, "I dunno, surprise me"...

... so she did...

... when lunchtime came and I opened my lunch bag...

... it was a peanut butter an' balogna sammich.

What about kids going to school that have nut allergies and they end up sitting next to someone who is eating peanut butter sandwiches? Or, just plain peanuts?
Depending on their age, the child can be taught to only eat with their special friends, of which the mother has spoken to the parents, explaining their child's allergy, and asking these parents, if they would never use peanuts in their child's lunch etc etc

It can be worked out. If young, then the teacher with lunch duty can watch over the situation.

I think it would be wrong to stop homemade lunches and retire the beloved lunch box/bag forever!!!!!

The lunches my mom made were the best part of school!!! And completely nutritious!

Yep. Got to soften them up early. Today Soylent Beige (fake chicken nuggets). Tomorrow Soylent Green.

Hopenchange!

Just another reason to home school or send them to private schools

It isn't like 60% of this country can afford the insane cost of private school.

It's definitely expensive but we consider it an investment in our children's futures (they eat damn good also)
You have kids ?

Word of warning, leave the kids alone, I'll report you in a New York minute, been there done that and not doing it again
it's not about them it;s about you.

More left loon insanity, a parent knows how to feed their own child, besides the lunches MOOOOOOchele endorses is pure garbage, you know her kids are not eating it
garbage?

School lunches are about to get much healthier. First Lady Michelle Obama and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announced today that soon the meals will have less sodium, and will include more whole grains and more fruits and vegetables as sides. The new rules, which will go into effect in the 2012-2013 school year, will also allow schools to serve tofu and other soyfoods and soymilk to children who regularly consume them at home. Pizza will still be on the menu, but made with healthier ingredients.

I would train my kid to projectile vomit after eating the school lunch then sue the crap out of them.

Not really, but it's a thought, eh? :laugh2:

20-30 kids all fling-barfing simultaneously would make a fine statement.

That would give a lot of job security for the janitors.

the op's source is prison planet ,the world's leader in non credibility.

is simply a compendium of wild conspiracy theories. It is no more credible a source than, say, Alex Jones's Prison Planet. Orac from Respectful Insolence wrote a great post describing how far removed from reality Scudamore's site is (just one example: it cites the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, not in the context of showing it as an example of a classic piece of propaganda, but as reality).

whale.to is not a credible source

what sad about this is kids will not have the chance to learn to barter, for us sack lunch types it was the highlight of lunch.
pb& j's were valueless Twinkies were worth their weight in all other foods

the op's source is prison planet ,the world's leader in non credibility.

is simply a compendium of wild conspiracy theories. It is no more credible a source than, say, Alex Jones's Prison Planet. Orac from Respectful Insolence wrote a great post describing how far removed from reality Scudamore's site is (just one example: it cites the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, not in the context of showing it as an example of a classic piece of propaganda, but as reality).

whale.to is not a credible source

When it comes right down to it Daws, attacking a source is a Poisoning the Well fallacy. We could say the same about Daily Kos. It is well known to all that the Daily Kos is propped up by George Soros. They are riddled with incompetence and bias. Does that mean we should dismiss everything that they put out? Probably not. But in this case, it's a pretty good bet that when they want you to dismiss all non-establishment media, based solely on a Poisoning the Well fallacy, proving that they themselves have gone off of the reservation.

IN this instance, I am sure we could do independent research and, yes, verify that some state run schools are indeed denying parents rights to send packed lunches with their kids. So you're saying this is a what, a conspiracy theory? GTFO

Did you know, that parents today can't pick up and take their own kids home from field trips. . I shit you not. It's outrageous. Even if you pre-plan, notify the bus garage and administration ahead of time, they won't allow you to. Really, the state is just that terrible.

We don't need a "credible source." We're parents, we know the schools are just this bad.

More insanity. If anything what should be banned is schools serving food. The kids should get a breakfast at home and then bring a home-made meal to eat at lunch. But black and hispanic parents won't take feed their own kids. They want working white people to pay taxes to give their kids free food.

Prison Planet.com » Children starve eating ‘moldy’ Michelle O food as school bans home-packed lunches

sep 23 2015 Genaux attempted to take matters into her own hands and pack a lunch instead of subjecting her son to the school’s food, but she says the school’s director blocked her from doing that.

“I asked her, ‘Hey, can I bring him lunch? Can I bring him his snacks?’ And it is actually against their school policy. Their policy is that no food is allowed to be brought from outside the facility, even though all the food is, because nothing is cooked on site,” Genaux says.

It wouldn’t be the first time a school has banned home-packed lunches.

In 2011, a Chicago school implemented a ban, theorizing they know better than parents when it comes to their child’s diet.

“Nutrition wise, it is better for the children to eat at the school,” Little Village Academy principal Elsa Carmona told the Chicago Tribune. “It’s about the nutrition and the excellent quality food that they are able to serve (in the lunchroom). It’s milk versus a Coke. But with allergies and any medical issue, of course, we would make an exception.”

In 2013, a Richmond, Virginia school sent a note home notifying parents could no longer send a homemade lunch, except with a doctor’s note.

“Ms Brooks, Please do not send a lunch to school unless a doctor’s note is sent in connection with this letter,”

Don't recall ever bringing lunches from home as a kid. Always had either cafeteria food or vending machines. So dunno how much of an issue this actually is.

I've never seen stats, but I would be really surprised if the majority of us didn't at least at some points in their schooling brown bag it.

More insanity. If anything what should be banned is schools serving food. The kids should get a breakfast at home and then bring a home-made meal to eat at lunch. But black and hispanic parents won't take feed their own kids. They want working white people to pay taxes to give their kids free food.

Prison Planet.com » Children starve eating ‘moldy’ Michelle O food as school bans home-packed lunches

sep 23 2015 Genaux attempted to take matters into her own hands and pack a lunch instead of subjecting her son to the school’s food, but she says the school’s director blocked her from doing that.

“I asked her, ‘Hey, can I bring him lunch? Can I bring him his snacks?’ And it is actually against their school policy. Their policy is that no food is allowed to be brought from outside the facility, even though all the food is, because nothing is cooked on site,” Genaux says.

In 2011, a Chicago school implemented a ban, theorizing they know better than parents when it comes to their child’s diet.

“Nutrition wise, it is better for the children to eat at the school,” Little Village Academy principal Elsa Carmona told the Chicago Tribune. “It’s about the nutrition and the excellent quality food that they are able to serve (in the lunchroom). It’s milk versus a Coke. But with allergies and any medical issue, of course, we would make an exception.”

In 2013, a Richmond, Virginia school sent a note home notifying parents could no longer send a homemade lunch, except with a doctor’s note.

“Ms Brooks, Please do not send a lunch to school unless a doctor’s note is sent in connection with this letter,”

Don't recall ever bringing lunches from home as a kid. Always had either cafeteria food or vending machines. So dunno how much of an issue this actually is.

I've never seen stats, but I would be really surprised if the majority of us didn't at least at some points in their schooling brown bag it.
I "brown bagged" all the time...

Which you rather have??? Cafeteria slop or a good home-cooked meal???

Remember those wide-mouthed Thermos???

I personally don't think that parents should be banned from home lunches, because if the teachers are aware of who has food allergies and they can keep them safe, it should be allowed.

Me? I packed my lunch most years that I went to school. I remember one time that I got myself, my Aunt Sandy and my Uncle Bill all in trouble with the school for an afternoon...................

My Aunt Sandy had this really good ground meat spread, with mayo, shredded beef, celery, spices and some other stuff that she made and called it "dogfood", because it did look quite a bit like Alpo.

That was the only name they called it, because that's what it looked like, and it was the only name I'd ever known it by.

Some kid saw my sandwich and offered to trade me for half of his, and I did. He bit into it, said it was good and asked what it was. I replied "it's a dogfood sandwich". He then went to the teacher and told them I was eating dogfood sandwiches and that he'd just eaten a bite.

The teacher then took me to the principal's office, my Aunt and Uncle were called in and the three of us had to explain my Aunt Sandy's dogfood sandwiches.

Never got to take another one to school, was only allowed to have them at home.

I personally don't think that parents should be banned from home lunches, because if the teachers are aware of who has food allergies and they can keep them safe, it should be allowed.

Me? I packed my lunch most years that I went to school. I remember one time that I got myself, my Aunt Sandy and my Uncle Bill all in trouble with the school for an afternoon...................

My Aunt Sandy had this really good ground meat spread, with mayo, shredded beef, celery, spices and some other stuff that she made and called it "dogfood", because it did look quite a bit like Alpo.

That was the only name they called it, because that's what it looked like, and it was the only name I'd ever known it by.

Some kid saw my sandwich and offered to trade me for half of his, and I did. He bit into it, said it was good and asked what it was. I replied "it's a dogfood sandwich". He then went to the teacher and told them I was eating dogfood sandwiches and that he'd just eaten a bite.

The teacher then took me to the principal's office, my Aunt and Uncle were called in and the three of us had to explain my Aunt Sandy's dogfood sandwiches.

Never got to take another one to school, was only allowed to have them at home.
of-all-tyrannies.jpg

This shit's redic. My kid packs lunch because the crap they serve doesn't fill him up /at all/... (He's not fat either.) He, like all my boys, was given the choice of having school lunch or making their own lunches. Unless they were feeling lazy all three of them packed lunch the majority of the time simply because the school didn't give them enough food; they'd end up eating two or three of them to not be starving through classes >.<

I "brown bagged" all the time...

Which you rather have??? Cafeteria slop or a good home-cooked meal???

Remember those wide-mouthed Thermos???

Left over roast beef or meatloaf sandwich, any day yum

mmm there used to be a place in town (burnt down unfortunately) that did briskets, we'd by like eight or nine of them and the kids would make sammies for school from them - happy tummies :)

Sadly, the only place we can get a good brisket now-a-days is chasing down this one food truck or the state fair :( Oh, and our butcher does a brisket once in a while, but it sells out so fast you have to get lucky to get any of it...

mmm there used to be a place in town (burnt down unfortunately) that did briskets, we'd by like eight or nine of them and the kids would make sammies for school from them - happy tummies :)

Sadly, the only place we can get a good brisket now-a-days is chasing down this one food truck or the state fair :( Oh, and our butcher does a brisket once in a while, but it sells out so fast you have to get lucky to get any of it...
Pork on a pit...

GREAT sandwiches!!!

Forum List

Back