Scholars Warn Outdated Constitution Has Put Democracy At Risk

For what it's worth, the best manifestations of "democracy" occur where the voters are informed and have a vested interest.

In the U.S., many recent elections are decided by people who are manifestly ignorant, and pay essentially no taxes (Federal Income Tax). The authors of this silly article (and all Democrats implicitly) want MORE OF THAT.

What more needs to be said, really?

For what it's worth, the best manifestations of "democracy" occur where the voters are informed and have a vested interest.

In the U.S., many recent elections are decided by people who are manifestly ignorant, and pay essentially no taxes (Federal Income Tax). The authors of this silly article (and all Democrats implicitly) want MORE OF THAT.

What more needs to be said, really?
Which is why te Founders had a property qualification for suffrage, so that the voter had a real stake in his locale
Some bozos interpret that as discrimination--- but they never follow that in practice. They themselves consider a large family more invested than the local druggie on student loans studying. "Third World Sexual Hegemony Hermeneutics"

View attachment 830243

‘Tyranny of the Minority’ warns Constitution is dangerously outdated

Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt urge institutional reforms, rejection of candidates who violate norms in ‘How Democracies Die’ follow-up

The U.S. Constitution desperately needs updating, say Harvard government professors Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt.

“We have a very, very old constitution; in fact, the oldest written constitution in the world,” notes Ziblatt, the Eaton Professor of the Science of Government. “It was written in a pre-democratic era. It hasn’t been amended much compared to other democracies. As a result, we have these institutions in place that most other democracies got rid of over the course of the 20th century.”

In their new book “Tyranny of the Minority,” the comparative political scientists argue that these antiquated institutions, including the Electoral College, have protected and enabled an increasingly extremist GOP, which keeps moving farther to the right despite losing the popular vote in all but one of the last eight presidential elections. The scholars also survey governments worldwide for examples of democratizing reforms. And they draw from history in underscoring the dangers of our constitutional stasis.

Levitsky and Ziblatt’s 2018 bestseller, “How Democracies Die,” drew from global case studies to argue that Donald Trump represented a threat to core democratic principles, even flagging the possibility that he would refuse to cede power. Today, in light of the 2020 election — and the 147 Congressional Republicans who voted to overturn the results — the authors say it’s clear the threat is larger than Trump.

Much more at the link below...

I totally agree! What do you think?
Yeah , agree with the reviewer that pointed out how unobjective, tendentious and self-serving this steam mess of a book is.

" If you total them up Donald Trump hits 7 of their 16 criteria for bringing Democracy to an end. Barack Obama, on the other hand, scores 11 out of 16, over half on their scorecard and is revered as a wonderful President."

Obama was horrible, The main thing the authors attack he brazenly did Remember :

Obama on Exec Action: 'I've Got a Pen, and I've Got a Phone'

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/obama-exec-action-ive-got-pen-ive-got-phone-n9131
The man was cowardly, hated cooperation , and mustered all the slugs of society against anyone he didn't like

Yeah , agree with the reviewer that pointed out how unobjective, tendentious and self-serving this steam mess of a book is.

" If you total them up Donald Trump hits 7 of their 16 criteria for bringing Democracy to an end. Barack Obama, on the other hand, scores 11 out of 16, over half on their scorecard and is revered as a wonderful President."

Obama was horrible, The main thing the authors attack he brazenly did Remember :

The man was cowardly, hated cooperation , and mustered all the slugs of society against anyone he didn't like
Sure..............Santorum let the teabagger cat out of the bag.

Rick Santorum says 'pure democracies are not the way to ...

View attachment 859896
Washington Examiner
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com › news › rick-s...
Nov 8, 2023 — Former Republican Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum reacted to Ohioans voting in favor of legalizing marijuana and enshrining the right to ...

Obama was referring to help US citizens and fix the mess, brought about by the last teabagger who was installed in the white house.

Before meeting with his Cabinet Tuesday, Obama said he planned to speak to top administration officials about “how to use all the tools” at the administration's disposal to promote ways to maintain the economic recovery.

"One of the things that I will be emphasizing in this meeting is the fact that we are not just going to be waiting for legislation in order to make sure that we are providing Americans the kind of help that they need," he said. "I’ve got a pen, and I’ve got a phone."

Sure..............Santorum let the teabagger cat out of the bag.

Rick Santorum says 'pure democracies are not the way to ...

View attachment 859896
Washington Examiner
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com › news › rick-s...
Nov 8, 2023 — Former Republican Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum reacted to Ohioans voting in favor of legalizing marijuana and enshrining the right to ...

Obama was referring to help US citizens and fix the mess, brought about by the last teabagger who was installed in the white house.

Before meeting with his Cabinet Tuesday, Obama said he planned to speak to top administration officials about “how to use all the tools” at the administration's disposal to promote ways to maintain the economic recovery.

"One of the things that I will be emphasizing in this meeting is the fact that we are not just going to be waiting for legislation in order to make sure that we are providing Americans the kind of help that they need," he said. "I’ve got a pen, and I’ve got a phone."

You can't always excuse a bastard by saying 'he replaced a bastard"​

See I don'nt do that nor should you

View attachment 830243

Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt urge institutional reforms, rejection of candidates who violate norms in ‘How Democracies Die’ follow-up

The U.S. Constitution desperately needs updating, say Harvard government professors Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt.

“We have a very, very old constitution; in fact, the oldest written constitution in the world,” notes Ziblatt, the Eaton Professor of the Science of Government. “It was written in a pre-democratic era. It hasn’t been amended much compared to other democracies. As a result, we have these institutions in place that most other democracies got rid of over the course of the 20th century.”

In their new book “Tyranny of the Minority,” the comparative political scientists argue that these antiquated institutions, including the Electoral College, have protected and enabled an increasingly extremist GOP, which keeps moving farther to the right despite losing the popular vote in all but one of the last eight presidential elections. The scholars also survey governments worldwide for examples of democratizing reforms. And they draw from history in underscoring the dangers of our constitutional stasis.

Levitsky and Ziblatt’s 2018 bestseller, “How Democracies Die,” drew from global case studies to argue that Donald Trump represented a threat to core democratic principles, even flagging the possibility that he would refuse to cede power. Today, in light of the 2020 election — and the 147 Congressional Republicans who voted to overturn the results — the authors say it’s clear the threat is larger than Trump.

Desperately out of touch they are. In my entire neighborhood I doubt anyone would even see the terms of the debate their way.
For example, you don't even know your history or civics, the Founders did not want popular vote to control, that was the whole point of the huge fight that was ended by the Connecticut Compromise

The Connecticut Compromise, introduced by Roger Sherman and Oliver Ellsworth, suggested a bicameral legislature with the House of Representatives apportioned by population, as desired by the Virginia Plan, and the Senate apportioned equally by state, as desired by the New Jersey Plan

Electoral College,same thing. NOBODY wanted places like California and New York to control the entire country. Why do you think a person whose entire llife was DC, Illinois, and Arkansas manipulated things to become HIllary , Senator from ---- New York !!!

My candidates often lose elections. Nevertheless, I have more confidence in the majority of the voters than in any elite, be it of wealth or intellect.

I would like for the United States government to become more democratic. However, I doubt that now is the time for it, when the American population is evenly divided and polarized.

There should not be major changes in the Constitution until there is a broad, general consensus of what kind of government we should have and what it should be doing. It would be dangerous for a large minority of the population to believe that its opinions are consistently ignored by the government.

Still trying to make this book important? Good luck, It is seen as typical Harvard out-of-touch nonsense.

This review just about says it all. The authors are like people who see a man being beaten up holding a sign "your mother is a whore" and all they can do is say 'He has a right' but if it is their mother then all hell breaks lose.

"the New Right is a counter-movement against what they view as social radicalism of the New Left: Sexual Revolution; 60s drug culture; victim culture, counter-culture hippie movement of Woodstock hedonists; authoritarian political correctness dominating postmodernist university humanity’s departments; leftist segregation of identity politics, trashing the once lauded American melting pot, as they say, “against assimilation.”"
The authors are just like the professors mocked in Tom Wolfe's

Radical Chic and Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers​

"“An intellectual is a person knowledgeable in one field who speaks out only in others.”"

View attachment 830243

Putting their arguments aside, it's an intellectual circle jerk. We have available to us, a process to amend. If we cannot get others to agree, that's on us. No quick or easy fixes. No magical formulae...

Forum List

Back