Saw a Cougar a few days ago..

Mr.Nick

VIP Member
May 10, 2011
Well I saw a cougar a few days ago, well actually I have seen a few over the past few years in northern Illinois...

Well it made me remember this cougar in Chicago...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8SyLtekucw]Cougar in Chicago shot by police - YouTube[/ame]

This guys respone was spot on.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47SOPFmOwIg&feature=related]Cougar Killed in Chicago - YouTube[/ame]

We see them and bobcats, we leave them alone to live.

Yeah well there is no way in hell a cougar would be left alone to live in Chicago.

I didn't shoot the ones I saw because I had no weapon on me to do so but I would have...

In a community, you can't just allow an aggressive animal like that roam around and snatch pets or children...

Sorry the biggest pest round here is a coyote, and they're harmless to humans, and even pets here.

Now a cat on the other hand?

The ones I've seen were as big as the one in the video.....

In 1958 we (my family and I) were moving from Bloomington Indiana to Joliet Illinois. The first day we drove out US-52 to the west side of the city to look at the ongoing construction of I-55, which was just beyond the golf course (s.) and cemetery (n.). Driving back into town a cougar as large as a Great Dane ran/leaped across the highway not more than 50-feet in front of us.

About ten/twelve years ago local people back here in Bloomington began reporting sightings of cougars but the DNR wouldn't give them any credence. Only lately have any been caught on video, and they are not what would be called "Bobcats" which are a lot smaller.

It's no surprise really, since deer have become so common here that they've become dangerous to bystanders and lay waste to people's gardens. A couple years back one crashed through a large glass window of a building on IU campus. Out in the countryside these have to be attractive to the cougars for their subsistence.

A great white egret just flew across my lake out back, and another flew north into the tall pines there.

Not as exciting as a cougar, but they are so elegant. <sigh>

Quite frankly I was looking to see if any poster has any experience with the animal.

Quite frankly I was looking to see if any poster has any experience with the animal.
Plenty around here.
We call them panthers. Very shy but will occasionally take down a stray calf and drag them off.
The biggest I've seen I'd guess to be 150 or so lbs.
If you don't see any around you have another problem. Jaguar !

Saw a Cougar a few days ago..

hot_cougars_11.jpg

:eusa_whistle:

A few years ago I was working late at night on a landscape project. It was by a lake and all the normal animals sounds went completely quiet. I was hauling stone mulch from my trailer near a ditch across the road to the site. Very unnerving to feel watched.

Forum List

Back