Saving small businesses in America.

Locke11_21

Democrat Party - the REAL Fascist Party
Dec 31, 2011
Bay State
When it comes to owning a small business, whether it be a small local are chain, or a one and only ma and pa shop; this is a subject where people of all political persuasions, ethnic backgrounds and religions are involved in. While this country is more divided than it has ever been, what would be great is politics can be cast aside and we can unite to save small businesses. Where I live a small, one and only business is closing after 51 years of operation, a business in which they gave back to the community. Unfortunately they could no longer compete with the big national chains. Many people like supporting a small business, even if they have to pay a higher price than they would at a national chain. What made it difficult for the business in my area was that the vendors were not interested in selling items to the smaller businesses, instead they wanted to supply the big national chains. How sad.

There is a local bakery I like to go to, they owners politics couldn't be further to the left. They do a great job with their pastries. They know my political views are not the same as theirs. However, when I shared with them with what I am about to share with everyone in this forum, their eyes started to water up, and they thanked me for it. People, if we are to save small businesses in America, please support them, regardless of their political views, again, there is a time and a place for politics, but if the left and the right don't fight for ALL small businesses, then eventually small businesses will become extinct. I am going to provide a link to Small Business Rising. Share this website with small businesses regardless if you agree with their politics - if they even make their politics known. This is an opportunity to fight back against the evil big corporations and give small businesses a fighting chance.

First of all we need to stabilize the definition of politics?
I am sure you have heard plenty of politicians say that something is beyond politics, or whatever.

Are you definitely sure of what politics is?

I suggest that politics has something to do with the margin of error in the organization of government - a perfect government does not have politics. Perhaps, politics is the approach to perfect government???

Maybe, you need a little jarring. What if your local retailer was an atheist - does that cause you to maybe avoid her store?

How about the local CBD dealer???

Last edited:
When it comes to owning a small business, whether it be a small local are chain, or a one and only ma and pa shop; this is a subject where people of all political persuasions, ethnic backgrounds and religions are involved in. While this country is more divided than it has ever been, what would be great is politics can be cast aside and we can unite to save small businesses. Where I live a small, one and only business is closing after 51 years of operation, a business in which they gave back to the community. Unfortunately they could no longer compete with the big national chains. Many people like supporting a small business, even if they have to pay a higher price than they would at a national chain. What made it difficult for the business in my area was that the vendors were not interested in selling items to the smaller businesses, instead they wanted to supply the big national chains. How sad.

There is a local bakery I like to go to, they owners politics couldn't be further to the left. They do a great job with their pastries. They know my political views are not the same as theirs. However, when I shared with them with what I am about to share with everyone in this forum, their eyes started to water up, and they thanked me for it. People, if we are to save small businesses in America, please support them, regardless of their political views, again, there is a time and a place for politics, but if the left and the right don't fight for ALL small businesses, then eventually small businesses will become extinct. I am going to provide a link to Small Business Rising. Share this website with small businesses regardless if you agree with their politics - if they even make their politics known. This is an opportunity to fight back against the evil big corporations and give small businesses a fighting chance.

Here is word of wisdom to a business owner. Never let your personal politics be known to customers. It is not proper.

To maintain cheerful relations for those who force their politics with an owner, the owner should agree politely to the views and not self engage further. People talk and word gets around.

I am going to respectfully disagree and say no to the OP. It isn't that I don't support small business. I just don't think it is wise to prop up ones that have not adapted to changing times and the marketplace. Since he mentioned a bakery, we have 1 or 2 come and go every year. There is a local bakery that does extremely well against the big chains because they actually hustle, listen to customers, and provide services like delivery to offices that Walmart doesn't. There was one bakery in particular that came I tried to get them to do some things different and it failed in glorious fashion because they ran the place like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld. They refused to bake breads people requested; they refused to make the pastries and doughnuts that were most popular; they were waaaaay over-priced; they were entitled owners who treated people like everybody owed them something; and they opened and closed whenever they felt like it. There is not fixing that level of stupid. They only lasted about 4 months and then blamed the community as they fled the area.

If you want me to pay more for a doughnut or a hammer or a whatever, then you need to give me something that the others do not. That may be a product, or it may be a service, or it may just be an atmosphere that nobody else offers. You have to do something extra other than charge more and play victim if you want me to frequent your business.

I am going to respectfully disagree and say no to the OP. It isn't that I don't support small business. I just don't think it is wise to prop up ones that have not adapted to changing times and the marketplace. Since he mentioned a bakery, we have 1 or 2 come and go every year. There is a local bakery that does extremely well against the big chains because they actually hustle, listen to customers, and provide services like delivery to offices that Walmart doesn't. There was one bakery in particular that came I tried to get them to do some things different and it failed in glorious fashion because they ran the place like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld. They refused to bake breads people requested; they refused to make the pastries and doughnuts that were most popular; they were waaaaay over-priced; they were entitled owners who treated people like everybody owed them something; and they opened and closed whenever they felt like it. There is not fixing that level of stupid. They only lasted about 4 months and then blamed the community as they fled the area.

If you want me to pay more for a doughnut or a hammer or a whatever, then you need to give me something that the others do not. That may be a product, or it may be a service, or it may just be an atmosphere that nobody else offers. You have to do something extra other than charge more and play victim if you want me to frequent your business.
I think there is something to what you are saying, OTH, I do believe that what the OP is getting at is true also.

I think there is something to what you are saying, OTH, I do believe that what the OP is getting at is true also.

A lot of mom and pop stores and restaurants shop at Walmart and Sam's Club, particularly the latter. They are a pretty good supplier.

Forum List

Back