Russian Military Strategy: Send in the Conscripts First?

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
It looks like the initial wave of soldiers into Ukraine were the untrained conscripts, Putin keeping his more seasoned troops in reserve. Is this Putin's military strategy? The reason I ask is it is the opposite of Soviet strategy when entering Germany in 1945, when Stalin would send in his most seasoned and professional troops first, to calm the populace, and then the less professional Red Army would enter and occupy the cities and the mass rapes would begin.

If this is Putin's military strategy, it would explain why the invasion moved so slowly at the beginning, versus the narrative of stiff Ukrainian resistance.

Mushroom?

It looks like the initial wave of soldiers into Ukraine were the untrained conscripts, Putin keeping his more seasoned troops in reserve. Is this Putin's military strategy? The reason I ask is it is the opposite of Soviet strategy when entering Germany in 1945, when Stalin would send in his most seasoned and professional troops first, to calm the populace, and then the less professional Red Army would enter and occupy the cities and the mass rapes would begin.

If this is Putin's military strategy, it would explain why the invasion moved so slowly at the beginning, versus the narrative of stiff Ukrainian resistance.

Mushroom?
what no link??

Mushroom?
He is also not using his most advanced jets

Still does not explain the lack of logistics support, poor coordination of forces and poor contingency planning
Oh yea, that is definitely evident, and it also does not negate the resistance posed by Ukraine, as there are streets full of burned out Russian tanks and APC's. I just saw that Putin is deploying 1000 "mercenaries" to reinforce the regular army, which also sounds as if the conscripts are not doing well. Some Lt. Gen. just said Russian airborne forces have performed abysmally.

Oh yea, that is definitely evident, and it also does not negate the resistance posed by Ukraine, as there are streets full of burned out Russian tanks and APC's. I just saw that Putin is deploying 1000 "mercenaries" to reinforce the regular army, which also sounds as if the conscripts are not doing well. Some Lt. Gen. just said Russian airborne forces have performed abysmally.
got a link??

The valiant Russians solders are doing great and continually advancing.
Ukraine is the 2nd largest country in Europe, so it's going to take awhile to conquer and occupy it.
Zelensky's amatuer army is no match for Putin's well equipped mighty professional army. .... :thup:

Last edited:
how would you know that??
It is well documented

But if you want to admire the Russians performance so far, you are welcome to do so
They are sending in Tanks without cover making them easier to pick off.
That is not the fault of conscripts but poor command decisions

It is well documented

But if you want to admire the Russians performance so far, you are welcome to do so

They are sending in Tanks without cover making them easier to pick off.
That is not the fault of conscripts but poor command decisions
got a link or are you getting it directly from your russian contacts??

There are almost no specially trained troops in Russia, they are only in the special services and a special landing unit.

There is an intermediate option: mercenaries, but these are the same conscripts who simply signed a contract. They are professionals only in the sense that they serve for money, but not in the sense that they have the skill and have been selected.

PS There is also the National Guard, but there, too, if I'm not mistaken, everyone is recruited, from those who have completed military service, these are usually contract soldiers.

There is no such army as in the USA, consisting of specially trained selected people.

I think it will be not in the US soon either.

And there are no private military services in the Russian Federation either, they are prohibited by law. Although they say that there is a semi-legal Wagner squad, I know little about its status and level of training.

Yes, there are no special requirements for admission to the National Guard, there are some conditional requirements for qualifications and physical fitness, but I think that there is nothing special, something like being able to shoot from a machine gun and pull yourself up ten times. Even the admission of temporarily unfit for military service is allowed(not recomended but allowed).

In Russian, the conditions are set out here, on the official website of the government

The English version of this page does not open for me. In Russian here

In short, there is no such professional army as in the USA in Russia and never has been. Only officers are professional. Even in Afghanistan and Chechnya, ordinary conscripts fought.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back