Russia will pay a heavy price for its war in Ukraine

You reek of failure, comrade.
The Russians army did what they always do in Kherson.
Pull back, draw in the Ukraine soldiers, let them exhaust their ammo and supplies, then encircle and finish them off with massive artillery barrages.
The media hyped Ukraine counter-offensive was a flop and the Russian army is still advancing on every front. ... :thup:

Missin the point? Europe is paying a high price for sanctions on Russia. The country that produces the fossil fuel is the winner.
Europe is adapting
Global oil prices are declining

You reek of failure, comrade.
I agree that Putin is in big trouble. If the recent rout of Russian forces worsens in the next month or two before winter sets in, if the Ukrainians retake Kherson, then Putin could well be forced to resign and made a scapegoat ā€” if there are security types with the courage to act.

Not saying this will happen, but it is possible. Alternatively a few big public demonstrations complaining about how the war is being ā€œmishandled,ā€ could lead regional bureaucrats to speak up, starting the disintegration of Putinā€™s personal regime. What replaces Putin if that occurs is anybodyā€™s guess. I used to think the likelihood was that his replacement would be worse. I am not so sure now.

There should be no illusions that a ā€œdemocraticā€ system can run the sprawling Russian Federationā€¦ The whole oil and gas economy (the ā€œCurse of Oilā€), the many far flung provinces and cities with their isolation and dependence on Moscow make that very unlikely, even if most Russians were psychologically ready to have another try at building really liberal and democratic government institutions ā€” which they apparently are not.

One good thing is that the most prominent nationally recognized ā€œanti-corruptionā€ oppositionist ā€” Alexei Navalny ā€” has already come out forthrightly against the war. I have no idea if he would survive a transition, or if the security groups (and the now weak oligarchs) could rally about him if Putin falters. I figure that would be about the best interim solution we could hope for. I donā€™t have a good idea of where Navalny stands today on ā€œthe Westā€ or how many powerful oligarchs might support him. He is at least personally courageous, which could satisfy Russianā€™s admiration for ā€œstrongā€ leaders.

Here is a May report commenting on Navalnyā€™s attitude to the war:

Forum List

Back