Russia preparing for ‘Big, Colossal War’ with NATO, says Major General

You don’t want surrender. Like dumb old Joe, you want them to fight to the last Ukrainian. Why?

This isn‘t rocket science sonny. Just agree to no NATO and independence for Donbas. War over.
1. Recognizing the independence of the Donbas and Crimea being part of Russia.
2. Withdrawal of Russian troops from other occupied areas.
3. Ukraine agrees not to join NATO and not to set up military bases of other countries on its territory.
4. Ukraine should be free to produce or purchase any conventional weapons it seems to be needed for its defence. Ukraine should be free to cooperate with other countries in this field.
5. Ukraine should be free to integrate in European economic and political structures.

I can sign up under all that on every day of a week.

1. Recognizing the independence of the Donbas and Crimea being part of Russia.
2. Withdrawal of Russian troops from other occupied areas.
3. Ukraine agrees not to join NATO and not to set up military bases of other countries on its territory.
4. Ukraine should be free to produce or purchase any conventional weapons it seems to be needed for its defence. Ukraine should be free to cooperate with other countries in this field.
5. Ukraine should be free to integrate in European economic and political structures.

I can sign up under all that on every day of a week.
Then why are you arguing with me?

Then why are you arguing with me?
I don't know. I don't even remember from where our argument began.

Besides, I have a strong feeling that Russia will reject the parts 2 and 4. And can accept the part 5 only with some amendments.

The logistics of this war are not in Russia's favor. The U.S. & NATO have the economic capacity to continue supplying Ukraine with weapons forever - it just makes our economy stronger. Russia does not have the capacity to continue this war for long. The Russian army is being bled. The Ukrainians will continue to fight, because they have no other choice.

Personally, I'm by far more biased in favor of Russia. My wife is Russian and I've have a lot of Russian friends & family. Also, on a personal level, I have not liked the Ukrainians that I've met.

Furthermore, I'm not an American nationalist either. I believe in the founding principles of the U.S., but have been highly critical of many U.S. government actions in the past 50 years.

My viewpoint is based on the realities of the war, and on humanitarian concerns. In a lot of ways, I wish that Russia's attempt to conquer Kyiv was successful and this whole thing was over. But it's not.

The invasion of Ukraine was one of the biggest military blunders in history. Putin - who I used to respect - should be tried as a war criminal. Civilized nations do not invade other nations. (Yes, I think that G.W. Bush should also be tried as a war criminal).

Right now, the war in Ukraine has turned into a WWI type infantry & artillery war. The attackers always suffer mass casualties in that type of war. The Russian standing army is suffering mass casualties - and Putin obviously doesn't care. He's sending Russian soldiers into a meat grinder.

The Russians have no chance of conquering Ukraine or of surviving a war with NATO. They should stop their advance in Ukraine and negotiate a withdrawal from all of Ukraine except for Crimea. The Ukrainians should concede Crimea to Russia.

Donbas should be demilitarized entirely, and a U.N. peacekeeping force should take control of Donbas.

Yeah, 89% in an election overseen and controlled by Russians that allowed not only Russian speaking Ukrainians to vote, but Russians and the "little green men" Russian military "volunteers" to vote. We've seen the results of Russian controlled elections before, it's amazing how they always come up with the results the Russians want.
How many refugees from Crimea did you see? People want to speak their own language and what is even more important - they want to be wealthy, too.

There isn't any worse that answering a complex question with an answer yes or no. I understand that prospects for Ukraine are grim. It will inevitably lose some of its territory and a main question is how much it can preserve. Not how much it can retake.

But what do you propose? Surrender at the first day of the war? Give up the country for Putin without any attempt to defend themselves?
What about preventing the war? For example, about respecting your own citizens, about allowing them to speak their own language, about federalisation and giving more autonomy to the regions in the determination of their political and economical course? What about refusing to join anti-Russian alliances?

What about preventing the war? For example, about respecting your own citizens, about allowing them to speak their own language, about federalisation and giving more autonomy to the regions in the determination of their political and economical course? What about refusing to join anti-Russian alliances?
Dude, when I hear about 'allowing to speak their own language', it means for me the end of discussion.

They would need mobilisation in the case of war. But now it's not a war for them. It's just a special military operation.
Yeah, they already devoted all their combat ready units for 'not a war'. It is scary to imagine what they can do more.

Yeah, they already devoted all their combat ready units for 'not a war'. It is scary to imagine what they can do more.
Not "all". Not even close. And significant part of their grouping is still in Belgorod region.
And yes, they can do much more, starting with much less discriminative bombing campaigns, destruction of civilian infrastructure (including power plants and bridges), and ending with mobilisation and occupation of the whole Ukraine.

Dude, when I hear about 'allowing to speak their own language', it means for me the end of discussion.
It's very pity if you really think so. Democracy and equal rights is a solution for many problems, and hatred and violence only destroy societies. The Russians are humans too, therefore their rights are also human rights.

What is there to say about this.

'Gathering Russian lands' became a focal point of Russian foreign policy since 16th century. It is already deeply rooted in their mindset. It is pretty naive to think it can be changed overnight.

NYC running laughable duck n cover ads

Just duck an kiss your ass goodbye

Hey what happened to all those Ukrainian avatars
sllsls,s,,s,s,,s,sss.png

'Gathering Russian lands' became a focal point of Russian foreign policy since 16th century. It is already deeply rooted in their mindset. It is pretty naive to think it can be changed overnight.
I don't think it can be changed overnite.

I don't think it should be dismissed quite so glibly either. This is the real face of Nazism, and this radicalization of the Russian population is not going to end well.

Putin is creating a doomsday culture and making himself the savior of the Motherland- where have we seen this before?

I don't think it can be changed overnite.

I don't think it should be dismissed quite so glibly either. This is the real face of Nazism, and this radicalization of the Russian population is not going to end well.

Putin is creating a doomsday culture and making himself the savior of the Motherland- where have we seen this before?
I didn't mean you when I wrote this. For me it is just astonishing to hear some people say 'Russia was our friend back in 90s and early 2000s. But something went wrong since then'.

On the contrary, the Russians just returned to their common state of the mind

I didn't mean you when I wrote this. For me it is just astonishing to hear some people say 'Russia was our friend back in 90s and early 2000s. But something went wrong since then'.

On the contrary, the Russians just returned to their common state of the mind

Judging from Russian history, their "common state of mind" is blatant stupidity.

Why do the Russians always need a tyrant to rule over them? Is Democracy too complicated for them to understand?

Nicholas II
Lenin
Stalin
Khruchev
Brehznev (sp?)
Yeltsin
Putin

Nothing to be proud of!

Their greatest leader, Peter the Great, caused the deaths of millions of Russians - and the only thing he did good for the Russian people was to get them to emulate Western Europeans.

Forum List

Back