Rush's Neil Peart, the Hall of Fame drummer who set a new standard for rock virtuosity, dies at 67

Dastardly Carson Daly remembers Neil:

"When I was 15 I saw Neil Peart from Rush perform & his drum solo literally blew my mind. I would immediately beg my parents for a drum set to which they replied, “get a job!” So I did. Delivering the Santa Monica Evening Outlook newspaper. On my schwinn cruiser. Everyday. Eventually I earned enough to buy a used white 5 piece Pearl I found in the recycler magazine (where I had bought my first of many used surf & skateboards) A kid in Beverly Hills who had grown tired of his set (presumably after about a week was selling his..)They were brand new. Borrowed a friends pick up truck & scooped it up. Best day ever! I couldn’t afford any cymbals so for Christmas that year my folks (proud of the work I’d put in) got me a brand new Sabian ride, crash, splash & hi-hat. Set up on our garage I put on my Sony Walkman (really dating myself here..)blasted Tom Sawyer over & over & over again. (With the fat end of the stick hitting the drum just like Neil) While I would never go onto rocking out in a band, Neil Peart’s incredible talent was a big part of my eventual pursuit to be as close to rock & roll music as possible. Which lead me to radio, KROQ- LA, MTV & beyond. I’m thinking of his family, friends & fans tonight as he passed away in my hometown (where I delivered all those newspapers) and where his influence impacted a young music loving teenager. I’m forever grateful. Rest In Peace brother"

I'm sorry, please excuse my following language.

SHIT.

My working friendship with Rush goes back to the 90s.

DAMN.

I loved working with that band.They were so much fun. I've worked with them so many times through the years.

Neil used to tease me about my size and the fact that it's not easy to photograph him on stage because of his huge drum set. I'm small. He would laugh and say my cameras are bigger than I am.

I've been crying ever since I learned the horrible news.

I won't share my off stage shots of Neil with the board. Those are personal. However I'll share some shots of him on stage from a few of the shows I covered. I'll also share my favorite shot of Alex and Geddy together and one of my favorites of Alex alone.

To Neil, Rest in peace my friend.
Neil#7.jpg

Neil#13.jpg

Neil#18.jpg

Neil#2712.jpg
Neil#2770.jpg

Neil#2863.jpg

Neil#2715.jpg

Attachments

• F&A#91.jpg
    F&A#91.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 10
Cranking “Working Man” right now, in his honor.

John Rutsey was the drummer on that album.

So what, just crank it up.

I was just letting him know...lots of people don't know that.
Nothing against Alex, I assure you, but I've always thought that Rush's first album was their best album.

When I was a teenager Rush was always a "do not miss" band to see in concert. My car broke down one day and I actually stole a car (a felony in Ohio) and drove to Cleveland to get to a Rush concert.

Cranking “Working Man” right now, in his honor.

John Rutsey was the drummer on that album.

So what, just crank it up.

I was just letting him know...lots of people don't know that.
Nothing against Alex, I assure you, but I've always thought that Rush's first album was their best album.

When I was a teenager Rush was always a "do not miss" band to see in concert. My car broke down one day and I actually stole a car (a felony in Ohio) and drove to Cleveland to get to a Rush concert.

LOL....No shit? But yeah....I've seen them about a dozen times....

There are great amazing drummers.... and then there is Neil.. just in a class above them all

Forum List

Back