Rural Living, Homesteading

Just a year or two ago, I could do 10 birds in a day by myself. I don't have any special equipment, just a big stock pot and a sharp knife. Now I'm pushing it to do 5 birds. It's exhausting and I figure as long as prices for whole chickens are less than $2lb, (my top price I'm willing to pay) it's just easier to buy them. No fuss, no muss.......and in overall price comparison it's about the same.

Turkeys on the other hand........may be cheaper to raise them, but then comes the headache of raising them.......with dogs, neighbors and no good shelter set up........and I'd probably need help on the other end of it. Last time, my youngest son got the biology lesson of a lifetime when he helped butcher.........but he refused to ever do that again :auiqs.jpg:

I bought s bow & arrow, but all I got out of it was huge whelp's on my arm's using them, hubby did ok,not me!

I bought s bow & arrow, but all I got out of it was huge whelp's on my arm's using them, hubby did ok,not me!

Bow & arrows???? Yeah, the first year I did turkeys, my teenage son wanted to do the deed with the bow & arrows,,,,,,,yeah ok, he's a good shot. No problem, right???

HA, after 6 or 8 arrows he still hadn't made the fatal hit. That poor bird had arrows sticking out everywhere, including one in the head and still running around the yard. I finally stepped in to finish it off and he's not allowed to do that again :auiqs.jpg:

Bow & arrows???? Yeah, the first year I did turkeys, my teenage son wanted to do the deed with the bow & arrows,,,,,,,yeah ok, he's a good shot. No problem, right???

HA, after 6 or 8 arrows he still hadn't made the fatal hit. That poor bird had arrows sticking out everywhere, including one in the head and still running around the yard. I finally stepped in to finish it off and he's not allowed to do that again :auiqs.jpg:

Poor bird, glad you put it out of its misery. Although I think it is a good thing to teach our youth how to survive and be self-sufficient.

Forum List

Back