Rural Living, Homesteading

whoisit

Gold Member
Jul 19, 2016
Couldn't find this subject if it's here please combine.

Anyone here living on a farm or ranch? Or just homesteading , prepping or sustainable living of some kind?

We live in a rural type community and try to grow some of our food. We also have 3 hens for eggs,did have dozens of chickens, ducks horse and donkey several years ago. Now we are old and don't have all those to care for.
We aalso do some canning mostly dried beans carrotts some meat.
I ask hubby about getting a couple donkeys again to help with clearing vines and brush.Plus I love long ears.haha
He said no.

Couldn't find this subject if it's here please combine.

Anyone here living on a farm or ranch? Or just homesteading , prepping or sustainable living of some kind?

We live in a rural type community and try to grow some of our food. We also have 3 hens for eggs,did have dozens of chickens, ducks horse and donkey several years ago. Now we are old and don't have all those to care for.
We aalso do some canning mostly dried beans carrotts some meat.
I ask hubby about getting a couple donkeys again to help with clearing vines and brush.Plus I love long ears.haha
He said no.

We had goats on our ranch for brush clearing. They even ate poison oak!

Donks are easy to care for ,can eat most anything because their digestive tract breaks down most weeds,grasses. Horse eat more and less hardy.They also love their masters unlike horses. If a horse gets spooked he runs away ,but if a donkey gets spooked they run to their caretaker.
Donkeys are NOT stubborn like people say they are. They just like to think about it for a minute before they do something new.
I had my first donk 'Katy' in 1960 then we had Rosie our next one in 1995. We also had a horse . Hubby broke his back so we had to give both equine to good home. We gave them away so we could visit to make sure they were being cared for.

We had goats on our ranch for brush clearing. They even ate poison oak!

Marvin goats like to travel too much,lol. I had a goat as a kid, Nita. She loved to roam.I love goats though. Neighbors have one that is always walking around here with 2 high Pyreenee dogs. Shame they don't stay in fence.

Go out and turn off the electricity to your house. See how long you guys can hold out!

Otis maybe longer than most. Growing up in the country I learned about the mentality of roughing it.
When power went out we had to draw and haul water to cook and bathe. 250 feet down with gallon bucket then walk back to the house without spilling it. Imagine the young drawing water now? Mostly we just bathed in the creek or spillway of our lake. It was a wonderful life.

The Pyrennes are herding a goat herd of one?

Yes the man was raising then dogs to sell. Now he isn't interested since another dog got with her and he couldn't sell them.And his goat likes the dogs since it is probably lonely.

Do you grow food or have farm animals?

Otis maybe longer than most. Growing up in the country I learned about the mentality of roughing it.
When power went out we had to draw and haul water to cook and bathe. 250 feet down with gallon bucket then walk back to the house without spilling it. Imagine the young drawing water now? Mostly we just bathed in the creek or spillway of our lake. It was a wonderful life.
Otis has no idea what you are talking about.....

I have 55 Ha...in Costa Rica. What do you need ?
bonzoo1.jpg

Forum List

Back