Ron DeSantis says he would eliminate four federal agencies if elected president

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Florida's Republican governor said he would seek to abolish the departments of Education, Commerce and Energy, as well as the IRS.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Wednesday that if he is elected president he would seek to close four federal agencies as part of an effort to reduce the size of government.

"We would do Education, we would do Commerce, we'd do Energy, and we would do IRS," DeSantis said in an interview with Fox News’ Martha MacCallum when he was asked whether he favored closing any agencies.

"If Congress will work with me on doing that, we'll be able to reduce the size and scope of government," he added. "If Congress won't go that far, I'm going to use those agencies to push back against woke ideology and against the leftism that we see creeping into all institutions of American life."

I doubt it but he does have a way of getting things done in FL.

Get rid of the income tax, capital gains tax, estate tax and replace them with a simple sales tax.

It will never happen, but it would be the best for the country.

He won't be elected president, he probably knows this by now. If Trump doesn't run there will be an even bigger gap between the Dems and Gop. This is the way the GOP prefer it anyways, they prefer being the opposition.

WTF is wrong with DeSantis?
He left off the Justice Dept, FBI and EPA

What kind of Conservative is he?

I had nothing against DeSantis until just reading here of a national sales tax. From what I saw of the Fair Tax, these people are nuts thinking a parent should pay a 30% tax on top of the out-of-pocket cost for operation to save a child's life but not a penny on the purchase of a thousand shares of Tesla.

Florida's Republican governor said he would seek to abolish the departments of Education, Commerce and Energy, as well as the IRS.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Wednesday that if he is elected president he would seek to close four federal agencies as part of an effort to reduce the size of government.

"We would do Education, we would do Commerce, we'd do Energy, and we would do IRS," DeSantis said in an interview with Fox News’ Martha MacCallum when he was asked whether he favored closing any agencies.

"If Congress will work with me on doing that, we'll be able to reduce the size and scope of government," he added. "If Congress won't go that far, I'm going to use those agencies to push back against woke ideology and against the leftism that we see creeping into all institutions of American life."

Get rid of the income tax, capital gains tax, estate tax and replace them with a simple sales tax.

So much hot air.....Republicans have been promising this since the 1990s.

I had nothing against DeSantis until just reading here of a national sales tax. From what I saw of the Fair Tax, these people are nuts thinking a parent should pay a 30% tax on top of the out-of-pocket cost for operation to save a child's life but not a penny on the purchase of a thousand shares of Tesla.

Why would you have a sales tax on medical? There isn't now, so why would there be?

Only four?

RINO!!!!

The only Federal Departments we need are:

Defense
Transportation (for interstate road building)
State
Patent office.
Border Patrol

Although there are better options I wouldn't mind an income tax if it was used to fund a minimal sized Federal government. Everybody should pay the same rate because a progressive tax is immoral.

Why would you have a sales tax on medical? There isn't now, so why would there be?

The OP states, "Get rid of the income tax, capital gains tax, estate tax and replace them with a simple sales tax."

That plan sounds like the Fair Tax proposal that applies a 30% (or more accurately 29.9%) exclusive tax rate on products and services. Or, as the backers contend a 23% inclusive tax rate., which amounts to the same thing.

The OP states, "Get rid of the income tax, capital gains tax, estate tax and replace them with a simple sales tax."

That plan sounds like the Fair Tax proposal that applies a 30% (or more accurately 29.9%) exclusive tax rate on products and services. Or, as the backers contend a 23% inclusive tax rate., which amounts to the same thing.
That was the Flat Tax. Much of that tax would be included in the costs of products. However, Desantis could not accomplish that any more than past proponents, but that is a different thread topic.

Forum List

Back