Roman Empire

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
It's on Netflix.
Roman Empire | Netflix Official Site

I am so over the same Roman Empire cast of characters. Julius Caesar, Tiberius, Caligula etc.

There is nothing more to unravel. Everybody grew up with the thousands of retelling/articles, books, etc. Move on.............really, the public has surpassed this. There is way cooler stuff happening in the Roman Empire. Two stars.

Unfortunately, the exploits of Emperor Vitellius don't make very exciting TV.

220px-Pseudo-Vitellius_Louvre_MR684.jpg

It's on Netflix.

I am so over the same Roman Empire cast of characters. Julius Caesar, Tiberius, Caligula etc.

There is nothing more to unravel. Everybody grew up with the thousands of retelling/articles, books, etc. Move on.............really, the public has surpassed this. There is way cooler stuff happening in the Roman Empire. Two stars.
The points to observe are what was occurring at the fall.

It's on Netflix.

What fall?

It's on Netflix.

What fall?
Sorry, I was under the impression Romans no longer controlled the known world.

It's on Netflix.

The final fall of the Roman Empire didn't actually occur until until 29 May 1453, when Constantinople, the capitol of the Eastern Roman Empire fell to the Ottoman Turks.

It's on Netflix.

What fall?
Sorry, I was under the impression Romans no longer controlled the known world.
I do not believe the Roman Empire fell. The economy shifted, power shifted. But the going dates are about 410 AD that a lot of people look at. Even so, that's way down the road with even more stuff that happened and way more interesting characters.

There are several noteworthy persons and stories in the latter half of Roman History.

Attila the Hun in the 5th Century
Boudica in the 1st Century
The War against the Judeans in the 1st Century
Emperor Michael Komnene and his prolifically literate daughter Anna
Emperor Konstatnine in the 4th Century.

to name just a few

Theodosius. Or even Valentinian I, Valens and Gratian would be good. Julian the Apostate could be done well.

I think this rehashing the same stuff every 5-10 years is really boring.

For that we can blame Gibbon. His definitive work entitled "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire", published in 1776 (that's right, more than 240 years ago) has fixed our historical education on the Roman Empire of the 1st Centuries of BC and BCE.

Gibbon was openly hostile to the History of the Byzantines and declared it not worthy of the same detail as the history of the Pagan Empire.

For more than 2 Centuries, our education and opinions of Rome have been slavishly tied to Gibbon and his prejudices.

I find it odd that we still have people that take Gibbons as a source and continue to argue, in writing, against him . We have a plethora of books and information available that discredits him and offers far more interesting stuff.

I Like Learning About Their Engineering
They Had A Rudimentary Steam Engine
Even Complicated Vending Machines

For that we can blame Gibbon. His definitive work entitled "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire", published in 1776 (that's right, more than 240 years ago) has fixed our historical education on the Roman Empire of the 1st Centuries of BC and BCE.

Gibbon was openly hostile to the History of the Byzantines and declared it not worthy of the same detail as the history of the Pagan Empire.

For more than 2 Centuries, our education and opinions of Rome have been slavishly tied to Gibbon and his prejudices.
And the Roman Catholic Church's attention as being the number one place for Jesus...

Forum List

Back