Robert Reich: 14 Week "Wealth and Poverty" Class

georgephillip

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2009
Los Angeles, California
I'm unsure if a 14 week class each with a 120 minute You-Tube video lecture along with recommended readings is anything this board would be interested in or even if such a thread is "legal", but it could be useful to some posters:
robert-reich-university-of-california-berkeley.jpg

My course "Wealth and Poverty" starts right here next Friday

"I’m so pleased to be able to bring you the big 700-undergraduate course I teach on Wealth and Poverty — starting here next Friday and continuing every Friday for 14 weeks. I’ll also post an abbreviated syllabus so you can do the key readings, should you wish..."

"I designed the course to give students — and now, you — a deeper understanding of why inequalities of income and wealth have widened significantly over the last 40 years in the United States."

Reich's class began last week (2/7-2/14).
One of his core beliefs, acquired over half-a-century in academia and government, is that politics and economics are inextricable.
The following is from Week One's readings:

The 9.9 Percent Is the New American Aristocracy

"It is in fact the top 0.1 percent who have been the big winners in the growing concentration of wealth over the past half century.

"According to the UC Berkeley economists Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman, the 160,000 or so households in that group held 22 percent of America’s wealth in 2012, up from 10 percent in 1963.

"If you’re looking for the kind of money that can buy elections, you’ll find it inside the top 0.1 percent alone."

I'm unsure if a 14 week class each with a 120 minute You-Tube video lecture along with recommended readings is anything this board would be interested in or even if such a thread is "legal", but it could be useful to some posters:

"I’m so pleased to be able to bring you the big 700-undergraduate course I teach on Wealth and Poverty — starting here next Friday and continuing every Friday for 14 weeks. I’ll also post an abbreviated syllabus so you can do the key readings, should you wish..."

"I designed the course to give students — and now, you — a deeper understanding of why inequalities of income and wealth have widened significantly over the last 40 years in the United States."

One of his core beliefs, acquired over half-a-century in academia and government, is that politics and economics are inextricable.

"It is in fact the top 0.1 percent who have been the big winners in the growing concentration of wealth over the past half century.

"According to the UC Berkeley economists Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman, the 160,000 or so households in that group held 22 percent of America’s wealth in 2012, up from 10 percent in 1963.

"If you’re looking for the kind of money that can buy elections, you’ll find it inside the top 0.1 percent alone."

You listen to Robert Reich? LOL!

A stupid piece of shit that has never got anything right in his life. A fucking joke.

Only confused Moon Bats would quote him.

Seems a bit.......short.

I can't imagine that investing such an amount of time, in order to be as towering an economic illiterate as Tiny Tim Reich, would be of any benefit at all.

Mr. Reich is exceedingly wealthy himself, and is a millionaire several times over.

Not only that he is exceedingly well connected to some of the highest ranking members of America's ruling Liberal Elite.

Its the height of hypocrisy for him to whine so much about affluence- particularly when most of the affluent worked their asses off for it, compared to him who is just a recipient of choice political and academic plums.

Its the height of hypocrisy for him to whine so much about affluence- particularly when most of the affluent worked their asses off for it, compared to him who is just a recipient of choice political and academic plums.
Reich was born to a family that owned a woman's clothing store unlike many US oligarchs who won a birth lottery. He graduated summa cum laude in 1968 from Dartmouth College after winning a Rhodes Scholarship to study Philosophy, Politics, and Economics at Oxford.

"He's earned his reported net worth of $4 million as opposed to greedy parasites who bribe government for tax and trade policies that transfer wealth from the 90% to the one percent.

Robert Reich - Wikipedia

"Reich is a political commentator on programs including Erin Burnett OutFront, CNN Tonight, Anderson Cooper's AC360, Hardball with Chris Matthews, This Week with George Stephanopoulos, CNBC's Kudlow & Company, and APM's Marketplace.

"In 2008, Time magazine named him one of the Ten Best Cabinet Members of the century,[9] and in the same year The Wall Street Journal placed him sixth on its list of Most Influential Business Thinkers.[10]"

"Reich is a political commentator on programs including Erin Burnett OutFront, CNN Tonight, Anderson Cooper's AC360, Hardball with Chris Matthews, This Week with George Stephanopoulos, CNBC's Kudlow & Company, and APM's Marketplace.

"In 2008, Time magazine named him one of the Ten Best Cabinet Members of the century,[9] and in the same year The Wall Street Journal placed him sixth on its list of Most Influential Business Thinkers.[10]"

original.png

"Let’s suppose that you start off right in the middle of the American wealth distribution.

"How high would you have to jump to make it into the 9.9 percent?

"In financial terms, the measurement is easy and the trend is unmistakable.

"In 1963, you would have needed to multiply your wealth six times.

"By 2016, you would have needed to leap twice as high—increasing your wealth 12-fold—to scrape into our group.

"If you boldly aspired to reach the middle of our group rather than its lower edge, you’d have needed to multiply your wealth by a factor of 25.

"On this measure, the 2010s look much like the 1920s"

original.png

"Let’s suppose that you start off right in the middle of the American wealth distribution.

"How high would you have to jump to make it into the 9.9 percent?

"In financial terms, the measurement is easy and the trend is unmistakable.

"In 1963, you would have needed to multiply your wealth six times.

"By 2016, you would have needed to leap twice as high—increasing your wealth 12-fold—to scrape into our group.

"If you boldly aspired to reach the middle of our group rather than its lower edge, you’d have needed to multiply your wealth by a factor of 25.

"On this measure, the 2010s look much like the 1920s"

Every piece of the pie picked up by the 0.1 percent, in relative terms, had to come from the people below.

Why?

Our own government's data shows that some rich people get poorer and some poor people get richer. For the rich that get richer and the poor that get poorer there's a simple explanation. They keep doing the same thing.

At any point in time we are the sum of our choices.

Our own government's data shows that some rich people get poorer and some poor people get richer. For the rich that get richer and the poor that get poorer there's a simple explanation. They keep doing the same thing.

At any point in time we are the sum of our choices.
Our government is owned by rich capitalists who decide what to produce, where to produce it, and how to distribute any surplus. If the last two years haven't shown you how that politically constructed set of laws and institutions fails the vast majority of Americans, perhaps you are blinded by your ideology?
BB-2020-weekly-update_6.11.png

Updates: Billionaire Wealth, U.S. Job Losses and Pandemic Profiteers

So which rich capitalists are making the decisions?
Capitalism places the means of production under private control.
Owners and large shareholders determine what to produce, where to produce it, and how to distribute any profits.
By one account approximately 2% of the US workforce are making those decisions.
The richest capitalists then purchase politicians to ensure their system continues.
D0EY3kkWsAAx-43.jpg
Political activities of the Koch brothers - Wikipedia.

Since Clinton, Democrats have also turned to large corporate donations to fund their campaigns giving rise to the saying "there's no way to vote against the interests of Goldman Sachs."

Capitalism places the means of production under private control.
Owners and large shareholders determine what to produce, where to produce it, and how to distribute any profits.
By one account approximately 2% of the US workforce are making those decisions.
The richest capitalists then purchase politicians to ensure their system continues.
D0EY3kkWsAAx-43.jpg
Political activities of the Koch brothers - Wikipedia.

Since Clinton, Democrats have also turned to large corporate donations to fund their campaigns giving rise to the saying "there's no way to vote against the interests of Goldman Sachs."
So it's only rich republican capitalists who are controlling everything? Does Biden know this?

New Topics

Forum List

Back