Rising Auto Insurance WTF?

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
My Allstate car insurance arrived in the mail, they want $890 for 6 months coverage, up from $653 the last time. No accidents, no tickets, no coverage changes, so I'm wondering WTF? Anybody know of a reason for this? I know inflation is killing everybody, but a 30% increase? I'm thinking it's time to find another insurer.

My Allstate car insurance arrived in the mail, they want $890 for 6 months coverage, up from $653 the last time. No accidents, no tickets, no coverage changes, so I'm wondering WTF? Anybody know of a reason for this? I know inflation is killing everybody, but a 30% increase? I'm thinking it's time to find another insurer.
Was there no explanation included in the paperwork? If not, I would call them immediately.
But yes, likely time for another insurer.

thats about what i pay with geico.....

Some of it depends on what state you're in/insurance company. I was with GEICO for over 20 years, but the democrat WA state legislature decided it was unfair to use a persons credit rating when figuring premiums--so my rate went up, but take heart. I shopped and found another company that kept my coverage/rate about the same. Pain in the butt, more hoops to jump through.

Last edited:
My guess is the insurance agent wants more income, as does Allstate. And as Rambunctious says in post #2, the cost of repairs and parts is going up like everything else. Still seems like a rip-off though. I'm gonna be checking around.

Some of it depends on what state you're in/insurance company. I was with GEICO for over 20 years, but the democrat WA state legislature decided it was unfair to use a persons credit rating when figuring premiums--so my rate went up, but take heart. I shopped and found another company that kept my coverage/rate about the same. Pain in the butt, more hoops to jump through.
i cant find anyone to beat GEICO here in Nevada....in Cal i had Wawanesa.....much lower rate but they dont do Nev......

Do you have a daughter under age 25 on there?

My guess is the insurance agent wants more income, as does Allstate. And as Rambunctious says in post #2, the cost of repairs and parts is going up like everything else. Still seems like a rip-off though. I'm gonna be checking around.
It is happening to everyone. Last year I bought a newer used car for bluebook price plus the usual dealer fees and now the blue book price is 6k more. Used car prices are skyrocketing.

We're now paying less than $500/yr for our '09 bus, '99 minivan, and my '94 pickup truck combined. Aside from having no violations or accidents, two things mainly make this possible:
1) We keep up with maintenance and I fix everything myself.
2) Our vehicles are so old they have no significant resale value.
The first enables the second which makes taking the state minimums on all the insurance options not only possible but wise.

Forum List

Back