RIP Michael Collins

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
He had a fantastic personality, loved every interview he gave. Michael orbited the moon while Neil and Buzz became the first humans to walk on the moon.
CFD280D8-7E8C-4AD1-AE5B-670FBCCC440A.jpeg

On being the loneliest man since Adam as he orbited the moon alone:

"I was not lonely. I had a happy little home in the command module. Behind the moon it was very peaceful — no one in Mission Control is yakkin' at me and wanting me to do this, that, and the other. So I was very happy, it was a happy home."

That's a pretty modest kitchen considering his life achievements.

Unless I am mistaken, he was paid the standard military pay for his rank and time in service. In other words, not much.
Today, he'd be doing the University circuit, book deals, chat shows, and so on.
It's unfair that someone like Kaepernick probably made more last year than these 3 men made in a lifetime.

I took this a few days ago. I can’t imagine sitting at the top and lighting 5 of mankind’s most powerful machines and tons of fuel underneath you.
View attachment 484943

Looks like you were in Huntsville?

Yeah, the bravery exhibited by those astronauts back then was amazing. I remember reading a quote from one of them (Armstrong maybe?), saying the only thing that worried him was being in a machine that had a million moving parts that was build by the lowest bidder.

Heros one and all.

Unless I am mistaken, he was paid the standard military pay for his rank and time in service. In other words, not much.
Today, he'd be doing the University circuit, book deals, chat shows, and so on.
It's unfair that someone like Kaepernick probably made more last year than these 3 men made in a lifetime.

There are all sorts of careers that don't pay as well as some ridiculous entertainment careers. Athletes and actors make more than astronauts, teachers, firemen, nurses, ect ect. It is the nature of the market.

He was a better man than you, Gungadin.

Better man than who? I mean, I agree. Because he was one of the very few to do what he did.

But it sounds like reproach, and I am curious who it is aimed at.

Better man than who? I mean, I agree. Because he was one of the very few to do what he did.

Gungadin of course.

Gungadin of course.

Gungadin of course.
Moi?

Forum List

Back