Right wingers: Would you support repealing all laws requiring business permits???

Yep I would like to open a swine farm next door to you.

Or a strip joint next to your church?

That kind of thing is handled with zoning laws, moron.

Oh..........so right wingers think the GOVERNMENT should be able to tell us, the US citizens, where we can and cant build a home or business? Its OUR LAND, not the government's, right? So if you want to open a private business....say, a shooting range, or gym, in a building on your land.....the government should be able to tell you "NO sir, we have zoned that for residential, not commercial"???

Wow. You right wingers love government all of a sudden:eusa_clap:

Pretty simple question here. Almost every city and county has laws requiring you to get a business permit to...well, open and operate a business.

Right wingers: I ask you, being ideologically consistent, would you support your local city or county repealing this law? So anyone could open a business without a business permit??

Surely you would NOT support the idea that in our great country, one must GET THE GOVERNMENTS PERMISSION to simply open a business. Right?

Should our government be THAT powerful? To be able to grant, or withold, permission to simply open a beloved private sector business?

I suspect, if you are ideologically consistent, you'll begin to rally the local governments to repeal all laws requiring a business permit.

Ever wonder why earthquakes don't kill 300,000 people in America?

Um, because the last big earthquake was in 1905

The Richmond VA earthquake this past summer make my building in NYC rock about 2 inches...had it been a bigger earthquake...

There was a pretty big earthquake in SF in 1989 during a world series baseball game.

Yeah, when goverment has power it will abuse it. I think it was chicago that refused a building permit for chick fil a just because the owner believed marrige should be between a man and woman. Chick fil a doesn't descriminate against hiring gays, only his personal opion. Are you talking about that kinda power on permits? No, goverment shouldn't have that kind of power. Especially liberals.

Yes, thats exactly what I mean. The govt being able to grant, or refuse, a person permission to open a business. Or "zone" land...YOUR land...for what it deems you should be allowed to put there.

Right wingers seem to be all in agreement that they like govt having that power.

Pretty simple question here. Almost every city and county has laws requiring you to get a business permit to...well, open and operate a business.

Right wingers: I ask you, being ideologically consistent, would you support your local city or county repealing this law? So anyone could open a business without a business permit??

Surely you would NOT support the idea that in our great country, one must GET THE GOVERNMENTS PERMISSION to simply open a business. Right?

Should our government be THAT powerful? To be able to grant, or withold, permission to simply open a beloved private sector business?

I suspect, if you are ideologically consistent, you'll begin to rally the local governments to repeal all laws requiring a business permit.

Like the permits that limit access to health care by restricting the number of hospitals? Would it surprise you to know that some of us have already been doing this?

Absolutely...In fact, I'll take that one further and throw in with Milton Friedman...

I'm all for abolishing every single professional licensing law/regulation...The entire state of Colorado has been built with absolutely no general contractor licensing.

Licensing/registration is just a big protection racket shakedown scam.

But licensing makes it harder to catch a cab because the cab companies want to eliminate competition.

Oh..........so right wingers think the GOVERNMENT should be able to tell us, the US citizens, where we can and cant build a home or business? Its OUR LAND, not the government's, right? So if you want to open a private business....say, a shooting range, or gym, in a building on your land.....the government should be able to tell you "NO sir, we have zoned that for residential, not commercial"???

That's actually a libertarian position, not a conservative position. However, for your information, the city of Houston has no zoning laws. You will find that hog farms are not located near residential areas. The main reason being that the land is too expensive. Businesses are generally located on major thoroughfares because those locations are good for business. Residential areas are generally not good areas to locate a business. If a business moved into a residential area and caused the residents a lot of distress, those residents could sue for damages. That's how things are handled under a libertarian scheme. People settle disputes among themselves through the courts. They don't resort to some corrupt government bureaucracy to make decisions for them

That's actually a libertarian position, not a conservative position. However, for your information, the city of Houston has no zoning laws. You will find that hog farms are not located near residential areas. The main reason being that the land is too expensive. Businesses are generally located on major thoroughfares because those locations are good for business. Residential areas are generally not good areas to locate a business. If a business moved into a residential area and caused the residents a lot of distress, those residents could sue for damages. That's how things are handled under a libertarian scheme. People settle disputes among themselves through the courts. They don't resort to some corrupt government bureaucracy to make decisions for them

What? You mean people don't just make rational decisions because an intelligent, well meaning bureaucrat makes it for them? They can make intelligent decisions on their own???

:confused:

WTF!

Never even occurs to me to think about it. I guess that's how conservatives spend their waking moments. Thinking about nonsense.

The correct answer to the question is that we have building codes which are strictly enforced. Another word for building codes is regulation.

:lmao:

You don't even get your own post. So people wouldn't be smart enough to build buildings on their own that could withstand earthquakes, they only do that because government makes us. Yeah government.

The funny part is how you said "conservatives" spend their time ... thinking about nonsense ...

And you said it to a libertarian. Clueless is as clueless does, isn't that so mustang?

You think people worry about earthquakes? Without regulation, contractors would cut corners (unseen by potential homeowners). Concrete would have a higher percentage of sand. Frames would not be as strong. The wiring wouldn't be up to carrying heavier loads (possibility of fire). The insulation (against both temperature and sound) wouldn't be present. Floor joists would likely be further apart, resulting in sagging floors after a few years.

Plumbing would be slipshod and likely leak before too long.

You get the picture.

Bullshit. When I worked construction, it wasn't the city inspector who made sure the fireproofing was installed correctly. The company insuring the building sent out inspectors to make sure it was done correctly. The same goes for the sprinkler system, the concrete quality and the steel framing.

In the case of residential construction, whoever is paying to have the development built pays professional inspectors to make sure all the work is done correctly according to code. Liberalism is based on the assumption that people are too stupid to run their own affairs. However, somehow business people manage to avoid getting screwed, while government agencies are notorious for craft and corruption.

Individuals who were contracting someone to build a home would elect to cut out things to reduce costs, thinking that it wouldn't really matter THAT much.

You really think people are that stupid?

Of course, building inspectors in foreign countries are routinely bought off. I guess that could happen here too. But we wouldn't need inspectors if there weren't any regulation, would we?

Actually, no, we don't need government building inspectors because private corporations would hire their own.

You do understand there is a difference between a business permit and zoning, don't you?

No there isn't. Its the govt telling you what you can open, and where you can open it. Same basket of oranges.

Do you support the govt having that power over the private sector?

HA!! You mean through the GOVERNMENT courts? Without govt power, those lawsuits would be all bark no bite.

The test should whether the regulation is directed toward public safety or whether it is directed toward raising revenue. All regulations related to revenue raising should be repealed.

Every regulation designed to raise revenue or stifle competition for the privileged insiders is justified with public safety arguments.

Yes we should repeal all laws and just allow business owners to take peoples' money at gun point you know like the fucking government does

HA!! You mean through the GOVERNMENT courts? Without govt power, those lawsuits would be all bark no bite.

Not even libertarians have said we should do away with the court system.

The issue here is regulation, not abolishing government altogether.

Yes we should repeal all laws and just allow business owners to take peoples' money at gun point you know like the fucking government does

Well, thats basically how it works in Mexico and Afghanistan. Whatever group of private citizens (cartels, tribes) that has the most money and guns basically runs shit. Thats why the US and the rest of civilized Earth has tried to get stable, strong governments in place there. You know...to restore order. (Guess "re" store isn't appropriate as it was never there to begin with).

You do understand there is a difference between a business permit and zoning, don't you?

No there isn't. Its the govt telling you what you can open, and where you can open it. Same basket of oranges.

Zoning laws only tell you where you can locate your business. Licensing laws tell you whether you can run your business at all.

Not even libertarians have said we should do away with the court system.

The issue here is regulation, not abolishing government altogether.

I for one am actually in favor of repealing business permits at the local level. Zoning I'm ok with. Just polling the rest of the board. As to what the govt should regulate, and not.

Lots of rich, country club Romney voters would be all for TP rallies and preaching "Less government, keep govt away from my business". But let a night club or shooting range try to open up on their street, and they run to the same govt they hate to try to stop it.

Zoning laws only tell you where you can locate your business. Licensing laws tell you whether you can run your business at all.

Of course. We all know that, I think. But should the govt be able to do either?

Well, thats basically how it works in Mexico and Afghanistan. Whatever group of private citizens (cartels, tribes) that has the most money and guns basically runs shit. Thats why the US and the rest of civilized Earth has tried to get stable, strong governments in place there. You know...to restore order. (Guess "re" store isn't appropriate as it was never there to begin with).

ROFL! You obviously know nothing about countries like Mexico. Starting a business down South is several orders of magnitude more difficult than it is in the U.S. It has nothing to do with laizzes faire. Furthermore, once you establish your business, a long line of petty government officials will be at your door with their hands out.

This is liberalism in action. Just consider the loans Obama gave out to his campaign donors like the Solyndra fiasco. It's what you endorse, not what libertarians endorse.

Of course. We all know that, I think. But should the govt be able to do either?

If you knew that then why did you attempt to equate the two?

In my opinion, they should both be abolished.

Forum List

Back