Right wingers: Would you support repealing all laws requiring business permits???

It costs me roughly $600 a year to get various permits/licenses from state and local governments. What I get in return is much, much more.

This thread is full of whiners that could never make it.

What do you get in return?

The Benefits of Having a Business License - WAHM.com

Most of those so-called benefits come from incorporation, not from having a business license. the ones that don't amount to being protected from government harassment.

Nonsensical generalization ALERT

Pretty simple question here. Almost every city and county has laws requiring you to get a business permit to...well, open and operate a business.

The requirement for licensure all DEPENDS on what kind of business, where it exists and what it does, etc.

What localities, states, etc typically demand of all new businesses is that they get TAX IDs so they can collect local taxes on their products or services.

Pretty simple question here. Almost every city and county has laws requiring you to get a business permit to...well, open and operate a business.

The requirement for licensure all DEPENDS on what kind of business, where it exists and what it does, etc.

What localities, states, etc typically demand of all new businesses is that they get TAX IDs so they can collect local taxes on their products or services.

Editec is right. We're conflating business permits here with licensing.. EVERY business needs a permit -- that's where they get the tax ID. EVEN THOSE running out of your bedroom or garage.. These permits put you on the tax map and place SOME restrictions on what you can do.. Like a home business permit CAN (in most places) restrict signage or traffic to your home. Or a small business permit in general makes you state number of employees and vending machines, and subjects you to local business codes and inventory taxes.

You may have A PERMIT to operate a cab company --- but every vehicle you put on the street requires a LICENSE to carry paid passengers. And it's in the licensing, that collusion, cronyism, and graft take a higher meaning than public safety or benefit..

Why can't you buy caskets at a Home Depot?
Why can't you buy flower arrangements from any vendor?
Why are there virtual monopolies on taxis and limos?
Why does an hair braiding shop need "licensed beauticians"?

Because govt has been co-opted by the trades and guilds that control these markets.
Licensing hardly ever bring any benefit other than to the trade guild that issues the certificates.

Would I go to a doctor in Maine who's not LICENSED in Maine? Of course I would. As long as he's got a good rep and credentials..

State and locals are far behind understanding the value of licensing. For instance in MOST states, to call yourself an "engineering firm" you must have a licensed Professional Engineer" on staff. This applies to folks that do nothing more than say Software Engineering for phone apps.

The license for PE requires mostly knowledge of statics/dynamics of bridge building and the physics of power plants. How ridiculous is that?

Clearly, brainwashed. Maybe more of a light rinse, in his case.

He/she can't tell us what he/she gets.

I'd guess he or she gets:

Roads
Fire protection
Police protection
Education for a workforce
Holding competitors to fair practices

Just to name a few. Pretty good bargain.
Aside from roads (fuel taxes) of those services are linked to property taxes, not licensing/permit shakedown scams.

Try using your head for something more than a hat rack.

You do know he is on your side, don't you?

That said, you are full of shit, tax IDs have nothing to do with a business license.

The left, you gotta love them. They take an argument that has never been made, and "assign" it to the opponent, demanding that they defend it.

What intellectual dwarfs.

Well, for one, I'm not "the left". Both sides suck. Romney and Obama are both sorry ass liars.

And I'm not asking anyone to defend business permits. Im asking if you support them, or think they should be repealed?

Very simple question. Should you have to ask the govt for permission to open a business? As radically pro-business, small govt as the right is lately, I'd think its an easy answer.
You consider being pro-business and small government as radical?

Tell Me again why I should care what you want to learn or discover?

It's not nothing. It cracks me up to see failures like you whining about business regulations.

It's not nothing? Bragging rights, can't argue with that one. Not sure how much it is worth, but if you think they are wroth $600 bucks go for it.

Tax rights have nothing to do with a business license. I know this because I have set up tax entities that are business and didn't need a business license, all I needed was to let the IRS know I was operating a business.

Record keeping guidelines. You can get that from the SBA, and even get advice, all without a license.

Personal protection. That, again, comes from setting up the tax entity, not from the license.

Access to information. Why don't you tell me what information you can get access to that I cannot access? i can guarantee you that any organization you can join will let me in just as fast as long as I am willing to pay the fees and pretend to abide by the bylaws.

Personal privacy. DBA accounts do not require business licenses.

You get bragging rights, and you claim that is worth more than the $600 a year it costs you. When I scoff you accuse me of whining.

Forum List

Back