Richard Sherman Thinks Houston Players Should Sit Out Game.....I Hope They Do

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
Nothing pisses off NFL fans more than a bunch of spoiled millionaires complaining about how mistreated they are. The protests have cut TV ratings 31% and most games are not even selling half of the stadium. Now Richard Sherman of the Seattle Seahawks wants Houston Texan players to boycott their next game. Problem is, none of them has a guaranteed contract so sitting out the game means they'll take a pay cut, and he says that can't happen. How are they gonna pay for their mansions and their Bentleys if they are being paid?

I think best way to help these players learn to appreciate their fortunate situation is make them unemployed. They may eventually cause that anyway after the NFL folds because of a lack of fans.

gate-33f1c9-573x430.jpg

Now this is what NFL players call oppression in America

super-bowl-homes-richard-sherman-zillow-2.jpg

Richard Sherman thinks Texans players would boycott game if contracts were guaranteed

Screen-Shot-2013-05-11-at-11.12.14-AM.jpg

00k0k_cqbu202ixiy_600x450.jpg

There are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL and Richard Sherman thinks that's the only thing keeping Texans players from boycotting Sunday's game in Seattle.

"Oh, yeah, those guys would probably sit this game out," Sherman told reporters Friday, via the Tacoma News Tribune.

After Texans owner Bob McNair mangled a figure of speech and referred to NFL players as prison inmates, he faced immediate backlash and later issued an apology.

McNair was quoted in a lengthy ESPN article, speaking at the Oct. 17 NFL owners meetings about protests during the national anthem.

"We can't have the inmates running the prison," he said, a malapropism of the idiom, "the inmates are running the asylum."

McNair issued a statement Friday, saying he regretted using that expression.

"I never meant to offend anyone and I was not referring to our players," McNair's statement said. "I used a figure of speech that was never intended to be taken literally. I would never characterize our players or our league that way and I apologize to anyone who was offended by it."

Sherman was among the NFL players who immediately reacted to McNair's comment, saying he appreciated the 79-year-old owner showing his "true colors."

"I appreciate when people like that show who they really are," Sherman said Friday. "More people in the world have to be that kind and that open about how they really feel so you can identify them—and make sure you stay away from those kind of people, and keep those people out of power.

Imagine there's something in the standard NFL contract language that addresses a healthy player who simply refuses to play for any reason other perhaps than dangerous field/weather conditions.

Wonder if such action constitutes breach of contract? Oopsy...

Bob McNair said "We can't have the inmates running the prison."

It's an idiom.

The players are over-reacting.
Yes, but it's like Richard Sherman is too ignorant to grasp that or too uneducated to realize that.
I think he's just being dishonest to himself and everyone around him.
This is the tactic that the left has been using against Trump.
Trump makes off the cuff remarks and dishonest people misinterpret what he says on purpose.

Imagine there's something in the standard NFL contract language that addresses a healthy player who simply refuses to play for any reason other perhaps than dangerous field/weather conditions.

Wonder if such action constitutes breach of contract? Oopsy...
They could always go on strike.....but then again they wouldn't get paid.
Are their principles strong enough and righteous enough to risk being broke?

I don't think so.

Every year there are about 500 players that are invited to the NFL combine that graduate from college that would be happy to replace them. Overall, there are 20,000 players that would bend over backwards to play on an NFL team at a fraction of the pay. They only need 1600 or so to fill their rosters.

Nothing pisses off NFL fans more than a bunch of spoiled millionaires complaining about how mistreated they are. The protests have cut TV ratings 31% and most games are not even selling half of the stadium. Now Richard Sherman of the Seattle Seahawks wants Houston Texan players to boycott their next game. Problem is, none of them has a guaranteed contract so sitting out the game means they'll take a pay cut, and he says that can't happen. How are they gonna pay for their mansions and their Bentleys if they are being paid?

I think best way to help these players learn to appreciate their fortunate situation is make them unemployed. They may eventually cause that anyway after the NFL folds because of a lack of fans.

gate-33f1c9-573x430.jpg

Richard Sherman thinks Texans players would boycott game if contracts were guaranteed

There are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL and Richard Sherman thinks that's the only thing keeping Texans players from boycotting Sunday's game in Seattle.

"Oh, yeah, those guys would probably sit this game out," Sherman told reporters Friday, via the Tacoma News Tribune.

After Texans owner Bob McNair mangled a figure of speech and referred to NFL players as prison inmates, he faced immediate backlash and later issued an apology.

McNair was quoted in a lengthy ESPN article, speaking at the Oct. 17 NFL owners meetings about protests during the national anthem.

"We can't have the inmates running the prison," he said, a malapropism of the idiom, "the inmates are running the asylum."

"I never meant to offend anyone and I was not referring to our players," McNair's statement said. "I used a figure of speech that was never intended to be taken literally. I would never characterize our players or our league that way and I apologize to anyone who was offended by it."

Sherman was among the NFL players who immediately reacted to McNair's comment, saying he appreciated the 79-year-old owner showing his "true colors."

"I appreciate when people like that show who they really are," Sherman said Friday. "More people in the world have to be that kind and that open about how they really feel so you can identify them—and make sure you stay away from those kind of people, and keep those people out of power.

Why is it that a millionaire business man would be praised and bent over backwards for, citing what must be extremely hard work, skill, and all the good stuff.....but when we talk about NFL players... Professional athletes that have worked their ass off since high school or earlier to attain peak physical and mental condition for their sport. They've competed and won out over 100ks of other highschool athletes. They've sacrificed their bodies as well as other aspects of their lives including now their post football years to extreme health problems. They've done this to reach the top and basically win in their profession. They deserve what they earn for their hard work and not just that but the market has supported it.

And yet here you are a bigoted pos tearing them down. What do you have against the American dream, man?

I don't think so.
How long did the last baseball strike go on for by the way? I was still a kid at the time and so I don't remember all that much about it.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I don't think so.
How long did the last baseball strike go on for by the way? I was still a kid at the time and so I don't remember all that much about it.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
I remember it.....and I stopped watching baseball and never went back.

gate-33f1c9-573x430.jpg

Why is it that a millionaire business man would be praised and bent over backwards for, citing what must be extremely hard work, skill, and all the good stuff.....but when we talk about NFL players... Professional athletes that have worked their ass off since high school or earlier to attain peak physical and mental condition for their sport. They've competed and won out over 100ks of other highschool athletes. They've sacrificed their bodies as well as other aspects of their lives including now their post football years to extreme health problems. They've done this to reach the top and basically win in their profession. They deserve what they earn for their hard work and not just that but the market has supported it.

And yet here you are a bigoted pos tearing them down. What do you have against the American dream, man?
I played college football.
I don't think you know what you're talking about. I wasn't born with some of the gifts many of these players have. I wasn't able to run a 4.3 40. If I had I would have made it to the NFL. Instead I became a Green Beret. Playing football was easy compared to that. If you ever watched an NFL practice you'd discover that all of the hitting that used to go on in High School and College is pretty much gone. They hit dummies now. And when it comes to classes, most of these players never have to take on any difficult studies. Most of them have tutors.
Football players basically workout for a living.
I would have loved to workout for a living.

Nothing pisses off NFL fans more than a bunch of spoiled millionaires complaining about how mistreated they are. The protests have cut TV ratings 31% and most games are not even selling half of the stadium.

Oh fucking BULLSHIT.

TV ratings for all sports have been plummeting. Baseball, football, basketball, hockey, even NASCAR, which admittedly is not a sport. And those are the only ones I looked up. Five for five, as we say in baseball.

Only a moron would not be able to figure out why that is ---- here's a hint, I follow ever day of the baseball season, and yet I don't even own a TV. I can watch every game, and will never show up in TV ratings. I don't own a TV, because I don't NEED one.

Figure it out.

And the stadia, outside of the redundant "Los Angeles Chargers" :rolleyes: are filled.

Nothing pisses off NFL fans more than a bunch of spoiled millionaires complaining about how mistreated they are. The protests have cut TV ratings 31% and most games are not even selling half of the stadium.

Oh fucking BULLSHIT.

TV ratings for all sports have been plummeting. Baseball, football, basketball, hockey, even NASCAR, which admittedly is not a sport. And those are the only ones I looked up. Five for five, as we say in baseball.

Only a moron would not be able to figure out why that is ---- here's a hint, I follow ever day of the baseball season, and yet I don't even own a TV. I can watch every game, and will never show up in TV ratings. I don't own a TV, because I don't NEED one.

Figure it out.

And the stadia, outside of the redundant "Los Angeles Chargers" :rolleyes: are filled.
I have to call bull shit.
I'm talking about a drop from early in this season.
I suppose the drop can be explained by all of the things you say existed before the drop?

:anj_stfu::ahole-1:

Oh fucking BULLSHIT.

Figure it out.

I suppose the drop can be explained by all of the things you say existed before the drop?

Unfortunately for you Causation Fallacists, this was already established in the past.

Here's a quick sum-up:

National Football League: This TV powerhouse lost one in 10 viewers this year, and the NFL’s Super Bowl championship game – the most-watched television, sports or not – has had declining viewership two years straight. You think disenfranchising even more fans by moving two teams to Los Angeles is a good idea?

Major League Baseball: Regular season ratings rose 1 percent vs. 2015, according to Forbes. Viewership soared in the playoffs – during the same autumn election period that supposedly stole sports audiences. But how often will the Chicago Cubs win their first World Series in a century?

National Basketball Association: Teams collectively lost 1-in-6 viewers for broadcasts on local networks in the current season’s first half, according to SportsBusiness. The national viewership of the league’s all-star game, however, was highest in four years. How watch-worthy is a sport where teams might intentionally lose to get better, eh, Lakers’ fans?

National Hockey League: Audiences for local broadcasts are off a relatively modest 7 percent in the season’s first half, according to SportsBusiness. Yes, best All-Star ratings since 2004, but it was the first time NHL games were broadcast by a major network in 13 years. Also: the Anaheim Ducks had the smallest average TV audience.

Major League Soccer: A rare success tale with record viewership, depending on the metric. But the audience is only back to highs hit four or 12 years ago, depending on the math. Its rapid expansion of teams has helped, but Los Angeles shows the risk as the second local franchise folded, with a new second team for L.A. now in the works.

NASCAR: Car racing is decidedly out. The Wall Street Journal recently detailed the sport’s decline, highlighted by an ugly trend of TV viewerships cut by nearly half from its peak.

U.S. Golf Association: With the career of ratings-magnet Tiger Woods in decline, if not over, the game has no star-power draws. In recent years, last-day ratings of the sport’s four major championships ran at roughly half of the peak audiences when Woods was the weekend’s winner.
For a more longrange view of MLB:

Fox Sports:
Year Viewers
2012 2.50 million
2011 2.74 million
2010 2.70 million
2009 2.70 million
2008 2.90 million
2007 3.31 million
2006 3.34 million
2005 3.60 million
2004 3.44 million
2003 3.37 million

ESPN:
2012 1.78 million
2011 2.29 million
2010 2.17 million
2009 2.45 million
2008 2.61 million
2007 2.75 million

(tables here)

So you go ahead and show the class what's going on specifically with basketball. And golf. And NASCAR. And hockey. And how these are aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallll exceptions that don't show a pattern.

Last edited:

Oh fucking BULLSHIT.

Figure it out.

Unfortunately for you Causation Fallacists, this was already established in the past.

Here's a quick sum-up:

National Football League: This TV powerhouse lost one in 10 viewers this year, and the NFL’s Super Bowl championship game – the most-watched television, sports or not – has had declining viewership two years straight. You think disenfranchising even more fans by moving two teams to Los Angeles is a good idea?

Major League Baseball: Regular season ratings rose 1 percent vs. 2015, according to Forbes. Viewership soared in the playoffs – during the same autumn election period that supposedly stole sports audiences. But how often will the Chicago Cubs win their first World Series in a century?

National Basketball Association: Teams collectively lost 1-in-6 viewers for broadcasts on local networks in the current season’s first half, according to SportsBusiness. The national viewership of the league’s all-star game, however, was highest in four years. How watch-worthy is a sport where teams might intentionally lose to get better, eh, Lakers’ fans?

National Hockey League: Audiences for local broadcasts are off a relatively modest 7 percent in the season’s first half, according to SportsBusiness. Yes, best All-Star ratings since 2004, but it was the first time NHL games were broadcast by a major network in 13 years. Also: the Anaheim Ducks had the smallest average TV audience.

Major League Soccer: A rare success tale with record viewership, depending on the metric. But the audience is only back to highs hit four or 12 years ago, depending on the math. Its rapid expansion of teams has helped, but Los Angeles shows the risk as the second local franchise folded, with a new second team for L.A. now in the works.

NASCAR: Car racing is decidedly out. The Wall Street Journal recently detailed the sport’s decline, highlighted by an ugly trend of TV viewerships cut by nearly half from its peak.

U.S. Golf Association: With the career of ratings-magnet Tiger Woods in decline, if not over, the game has no star-power draws. In recent years, last-day ratings of the sport’s four major championships ran at roughly half of the peak audiences when Woods was the weekend’s winner.
So you go ahead and show the class what's going on specifically with basketball. And golf. And NASCAR. And hockey. And how these are aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallll exceptions that don't show a pattern.
Hmmmmmm....poor TV ratings must explain all of the empty seats.

Baseball hasn't had as strong a following since they went on strike.
Basketball has become a sport that mostly blacks follow.
Hockey, at least here in Nashville, is always a sell-out.
NASCAR has no problem filling their stadiums at all. It's really not a great sport to watch on TV anyway.

:lol:

Dooooon't think so Sparkles.

NFL 2017 Attendance Data (all teams, all games)

Not seeing a whole lot of unfilled seats in that table, again excepting the redundant second team in the same city that's also in the World Series at the same time.

Yanno.......every Titans game I ever went to was no more than a 3/4 full stadium at home....regardless of the fact that early on in Nashville, every non-PSL ticket was sold in less than 30 mins. The only way you could get a ticket on game day was from a scalper. Now.....there's plenty available and the stadium is only half full. Many PSL holders simply aren't bothering to show up.

FYI, The 31% drop was what was reported. I didn't make it up. Take it up with the journalists that posted it.

I would love to see this actually happen, and maybe this will be the tipping point and the whole fucking league blows up.
Let these mother fuckers take their talent to Canada if they think they're so oppressed.

Oh fucking BULLSHIT.

Figure it out.

Here's a quick sum-up:

For a more longrange view of MLB:

Fox Sports:
Year Viewers
2012 2.50 million
2011 2.74 million
2010 2.70 million
2009 2.70 million
2008 2.90 million
2007 3.31 million
2006 3.34 million
2005 3.60 million
2004 3.44 million
2003 3.37 million

ESPN:
2012 1.78 million
2011 2.29 million
2010 2.17 million
2009 2.45 million
2008 2.61 million
2007 2.75 million

(tables here)

I'm talking about the NFL and you post old statistics from MLB

That's a really strong and relevant point.......*heheheh*

gate-33f1c9-573x430.jpg

They've Wrecked This American Sport, Just Like They Wrecked the Cities We Built

It is childish and pathetic to watch a herd of circus animals prancing around pretending to be manly.

Bob McNair said "We can't have the inmates running the prison."

It's an idiom.

The players are over-reacting.
Of course the players are too stupid to understand that

Forum List

Back